Author Topic: Are imperial knights a mandatory ally now?  (Read 3364 times)

Offline Izzycat218

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Are imperial knights a mandatory ally now?
« on: October 31, 2014, 11:46:52 AM »
I don't own one but I've faced one fairly regularly. The amount of damage they do is ridiculous if your army isn't built to kill super-heavies. I don't think there and end all and be all unit but are this type of unit something we should come to expect?

Offline ShadowcatX

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Are imperial knights a mandatory ally now?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 11:53:22 AM »
I don't think they are quite unbeatable, but I think they are very relevant to the meta and any competitive list should have a plan for dealing with 1 - 3 of them.
Everything I have ever told you, even this, is a lie.

Offline Izzycat218

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 11:56:50 AM »
Haven't figured out a plan yet unfortnately. I'm curious how the stomp attack interacts with the invisibility power. Being is a melee templet attack and not a shooting one.

Online DCannon4Life

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 02:04:10 PM »
Stomps are not affected by Invisibility.

Yes, they are very near an auto-take (see: Coteaz during 6th edition). I'm converting a Tau Imperial Knight, should be done in the next few weeks. Why? Because Super Heavy Walker, D-Strength CC attacks, and stomps.

Cheers!
First, you must learn Balance. --Miyagi

Offline ShadowcatX

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 02:26:32 PM »
I'm converting a Tau Imperial Knight, should be done in the next few weeks.

You know you have to provide pics, right?
Everything I have ever told you, even this, is a lie.

Offline Izzycat218

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 02:43:07 PM »
Bulkier riptide? Pics are required  :D   
Robots of doom plus sprinkle of random army for everyone  :-\   Games may become boring to play.

Online DCannon4Life

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 03:54:03 PM »
Attached. Yes it's sitting on a mason jar. Yes it's an underslung cannon. The drones will be both the stubbers AND the cc 'weapons'.

The other leg is built. Everything is rough-pinned. Plenty of plasticard (and sculpting) to be done.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 03:55:39 PM by DCannon4Life »
First, you must learn Balance. --Miyagi

Offline Izzycat218

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 03:59:09 PM »
Looks like a great start. Can't wait to see final result.

Offline KBrown24

• Chapter Master of the Imperial Fists
  • Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Silent Alliance Gaming
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 09:22:43 AM »
I would not say that they are an auto-take, but they definately something that helps against everything and masks and weaknesses that your army might have.

Offline friar76

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 05:45:21 AM »
I have seen Imperial Knights in some form (errant, paladin, etc) in pretty much EVERY game I have played in my local meta. One guy in particular has a hard on for them, bringing no less than 2-3 of them. He must have robbed a bank as he has bought something like 6 of them in 2 months!. I expect to see more and more of them in the future.

I have one of two ways to deal with them. Firstly, kill teams in drop pods (preferably sternguard with combi meltas and tactical doctrine, if running ultramarines). May be an expensive commando unit to take it out, but if a squad of ten sternguard manage to hit it with 7 shots (average), then there is a possibility with the melta rule that it will suffer at least 4 saves on its ion shield, failing an average of 2-3 of them.

Now, support these with T/L lascannons or missile launchers/lascannon devastator squads and you (might) kill it before it can get in and ruin your day.

The toher option, spam TH/SS assault terminators at it. Assuming it is the batle cannon variant, it will need to get into CC to really hurt you. 2-3 waves of these, assuming they are protected long enough to get into combat, will do the trick most of the time (unless you are unlucky on your save rolls and D-strength wound allocation)

Im not saying this works all the time, but it has saved my bacon a number of times.

In all fairness if you can get a knight in your list then do so, but it just means that your list will be tailored to kill this superheavy, something which people seem to frown upon during some games. IMO if you have a knight, be prepared to face a list tailored to kill it, and dont get upset if it is nailed first turn

Offline Lexicon

• Battle Brother
  • Pointy Eared and Proud
    • View Profile
    • Lexicon of Doubts
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 05:59:44 PM »
Do you know what Imperial Knights just love? Close combat AV.

And by love, I mean fear and loathe. I've seen a unit of Swooping Hawks turn an Imperial Knight into a burned out wreckage in a single assault phase before it even swings, let alone stomps. They are powerful, but they aren't unbeatable, especially if you can focus them down. As an Eldar player I just attack them from multiple angles, using my maneuverability to smack them about.

Or, you could just harass them with flyers and is one reason why I always focus a decent amount of points on air superiority. That Strength D CC weapon can't hit flyers and neither can its large blast weapons. It's the same weakness the Eldar Revenant Titan has.
Lexicon of Doubts - My personal blog about wargaming, fiction and other interests

Collector of all things Eldar (with some minor Imperial and Chaos interests)

Offline The Overlord

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 10:53:33 PM »
From a competitive perspective they are not mandatory, but you must be able to deal with them. An easy way to deal with knight titans is having your own to use as a counter. So unless you can find just as effective means to take them out with your current army/list then they may be an extremely viable ally option for you.

Offline Izzycat218

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 12:33:28 PM »
I've got space marines and tau as my armies. Right now I'm forced to work with what I already have.

Offline Rezial

• Brother Captain
  • Dominus Mutationis
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 03:11:57 PM »
Knights are justifiably popular for a couple of reasons.  I'll relate them to the Grey Knight release during 5th edition and also Flyers when they were introduced.  The Grey Knights when re-vamped were very powerful, but they also had the distinction of being both extremely nice looking and highly elite.  This means that they got lots of fanboys who didn't have to spend as much money to have a powerful army on the table.  I would say it was understandable even though I disliked them at the time myself.

Flyers are another relevant analogy.  They were released as a new model type into an edition that wasn't exactly set up to accomodate them without imbalances.  They proved to be highly powerful either on their own, or in varying numbers and could be taken in most armies.  You also didn't have to break your wallet just to field them but you did at least seriously consider buying, which was GW's intent.

I think right now Imperial Knights are very much like both of these examples during their own early times.  GW releases a new option that they've pumped up in power and so far it hasn't quite been absorbed into the game in a way that balances out.  But like Grey Knights they are impressive looking, highly elite, and powerful.  GW brought back Allies in a way that makes it possible for everyone to invest and enjoy the power.  This is really nothing new to the game itself but is just the newest incarnation of the "Creep."  Nowadays you're not only keeping up with one or two armies, but the entire landscape of Allies and options that you could potentially bring and Knights are the epitome of this.  It's part of the selling strategy and players are seemingly happy to jump on board once again.  So I would say Knights aren't mandatory of course but there's no shame in liking and fielding them or not, depending on your taste.  As for dealing with them in games, that's different, but I would say it's up to all players to avoid abusing options at the expense of alienating others.  Sportsmanship and promoting fun in our games is more important than our Win and Loss columns after all.
Repent, for tomorrow you die.
http://rezial.blogspot.com/

Offline ak-47

• Battle Brother
  • We fight for Macragge!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 04:35:13 AM »
Well spoken sir!
Ultramarines - 6000 points - 85% painted

Check out my blog
http://engineering40k.blogspot.nl/