Author Topic: Arggh Resin!!  (Read 2661 times)

Offline Kezef

• Chapter Master
  • Angels have two wings for a reason
    • View Profile
Arggh Resin!!
« on: December 22, 2014, 09:10:51 PM »
I broke my pulse lasers while making my hornet (trying to straighten them) and I tried fixing them with super glue but its just a mess now, any suggestions? think it would be alright to just use bright lances and proxy them as Pulse lasers even though they are not as long as the pulse lasers, but at least they are straight and plastic.

Offline neophytes

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Arggh Resin!!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 01:12:44 AM »
When i boken my chaptermasters axel I used a papper clip in metall with superglue and liquid greenstuff. The axel it was not 100% but maby your weapon is larger than a onehanded axe. 
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 01:13:54 PM by neophytes »

Online DCannon4Life

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 11:09:29 AM »
I broke one of mine trying to straighten it as well: I cut another 1/8" or so on either side of the break (there was a bubble), took a file to it, then pinned it (pin vise, brass rod, super glue). It's held up very well, and since it's only about a 1/4" short than the other one (which I left bent), no one notices.

Personally, I plan to make a cast of the next GOOD pulse laser I get (from Forgeworld--because they're reversible). Since it is symmetrical, it will be difficult but not impossible to make a two-part mold.
First, you must learn Balance. --Miyagi

Offline Kezef

• Chapter Master
  • Angels have two wings for a reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 10:30:11 AM »
Personally, I plan to make a cast of the next GOOD pulse laser I get (from Forgeworld--because they're reversible). Since it is symmetrical, it will be difficult but not impossible to make a two-part mold.

That is a good idea, how would you go about that, never tried anything like that personally?

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 03:13:01 PM »
You can find casting kits at stores like hobby lobby.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Online DCannon4Life

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 07:07:08 PM »
And a search of youtube will give you plenty of tutorials--you'll be looking for a two-part mold, I think.
First, you must learn Balance. --Miyagi

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 12:05:30 AM »
Based on the amount of sneezing and sniffling I'm suffering after dremeling out the casting flaws, I will do my best to avoid resin in the future. It is simply horrible. At least I didn't have to deal with badly bent weapons. Just slightly askew. I tried to make it look as if it were part of the pose.

Offline ShadowcatX

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 06:00:33 PM »
I'm curious. I have experience with non-forgeworld resin, but none with forgeworld stuff. Does it stink to high heaven on arrival?
Everything I have ever told you, even this, is a lie.

Offline Warseer_Kaelrich

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 11:55:50 AM »
Not really, I bought the Mk 5 autocannins for a couple mortis dreadnaught and also the phoenixlord of the shadow spectres and they didn't stink at all. Just read the how to download on prepping the minis for painting and you should be fine with them

Offline ShadowcatX

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 08:55:50 AM »
Ya, the smell goes away after a good washing / airing out (unless you break something, or so I have been told). Different resins I guess. Or preservatives.
Everything I have ever told you, even this, is a lie.