Author Topic: Building a Harlequin themed army.......  (Read 17345 times)

Offline Rillietann

• Supporter
  • Battle Brother
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter....
    • View Profile
Building a Harlequin themed army.......
« on: January 03, 2015, 11:31:11 AM »
Hey guys,
Ok so finally after about 10 years of wanting to do it I am finally building up a Harlequin themed list. I absolutely loved the experimental codex Games Workshop made many years ago but couldn't get anyone to agree to play against it!
Having seen a few battle reports from Fritz and a couple of others, I am thinking that I can make a decent list using just the Codex Eldar and Codex Dark Eldar.
I am due to take part in a 1500pt league in March and I have decided that I want to build up a good looking, fluffy and hopefully semi-competitive list in these couple of months.
My potential list at the moment is:

Codex Eldar

Eldrad (White seer)

Autarch (Solitaire)- jetbike, laser lance, fusion gun, mantle

5 rangers

3 jetbikes

10 harlequins- troupe master, shadowseer, death jester, two fusion guns, 8 kisses

Wraithlord- EML, bright lance

4 dark reapers- Starshot

Codex Dark Eldar

Archon (High Avatar)- shadowfield, agoniser, webway portal

5 wyches- hekatrix with haywire
Venom- twin splinter cannons

5 wyches- hekatrix with haywire
Venom- twin splinter cannons

So altogether it's 1500pts, my plan is the archon joins the harlequins and eldrad hoping for fortune and a re-rollable 2+ inv to tank the incoming fire as they deep strike in.
Wyches I feel work really well with the harlequin aesthetic and along with the rangers and bikes will be used for objective grabbing. The Dark Reapers and Wraithlord will sit back and try and draw attention away from the other units/ hold home objectives.
The solitaire will go out to make as much mess as he can!

Any comments/criticism greatly appreciated, my only rules are:
  • No vehicles bigger than a hornet
  • No Avatar
  • No Wraithknight
  • No aspect warriors that don't fit the fluff
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 03:54:13 AM by Rillietann »

Offline ShadowcatX

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Building a Harlequin themed army.......
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 03:02:59 PM »
There's a rumor that a harlequin codex is coming next month so you may want to wait.
Everything I have ever told you, even this, is a lie.

Offline Rillietann

• Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 03:45:39 PM »
There's a rumor that a harlequin codex is coming next month so you may want to wait.

I have been reading up the rumours but at the moment they are only rumours sadly.
With most of the things on the list I either already have or would have a place in the new codex (like the venoms). I also have an agreement that if the Harlie codex does drop before or during the league. I am allowed to switch over. I am just planning in the event that it doesn't materialise.

Offline Angelic

• Corsair of Yriel's Eldritch Raiders
  • Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 06:24:44 PM »
So basically Bikes are for jumping on objectives across the table and Rangers for sitting on objectives closer to home? I feel as though bikes could do just that.. plus if you didn't mind some converting.. Harlequin Bikes would look cool! But I get the feeling you already have the models..

SO! With that in mind... The Archon is jumping in with Eldrad and the Harlequins right? I feel like you don't have enough moving forward to support them, so that when they do come down they'll be the only thing to shoot at.. Wraithlords are slow and tough but don't draw fire unless they're in your opponent's face.. Dark Reapers will always be great at MEQ killing and can do some Anti-Tank this Edition but still won't draw more attention than your mini-deathstar. Also Wyches are made of paper and need a transport^^. Nothing wrong with a couple of Venoms.. Not to mention I would have put your mini Deathstar in a Raider or something.. I think they're marginally smaller than a Hornet..

Question is, how do you think this list will perform?
The Dance Without End Begins..

Offline Rillietann

• Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 03:45:47 AM »
I'm not sure how I missed them out but both units of Wyches are in twin splinter cannon venoms.
I think my issue with this list is definitely balance, I would be happy to drop the Dark Reapers and replace them with another unit similar to the Harlies but I think my anti-tank would suffer too much. I think I am going to pick up a couple of hornets shortly which should help. I suppose it will always be tough to find the right support when dropping that amount of points into one unit.
Also attached is a work in progress of my Wraithlord.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 03:56:42 AM by Rillietann »

Offline Nebuchadnezzar

• Harlequin Scholar
  • Supporter
  • Brother Captain
  • Guardian of the Black Library of Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 05:40:10 AM »
use striking scorpions as mimes. they are your heavy close combat unit and they match the fluff
I mastered the chaos in mind and soul.
I will kill you and with a beautiful laugh I will dance until I go mad.

Offline Kayreios

• Brother Captain
  • "This is the best that bikes are going to get..."
    • View Profile
    • Painted Gribblies - Miniature Critique + WIP + Blargh
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 08:25:33 PM »
Looks like a legit supplemental codex with 5 new products.  May want to wait a few weeks until February to see what lands.

; ) Not that I know anything about these things...

K

Offline Rillietann

• Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 01:52:37 AM »
Looks like a legit supplemental codex with 5 new products.  May want to wait a few weeks until February to see what lands.

; ) Not that I know anything about these things...

K

If this is true then it would make my year!

Offline Kayreios

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 12:53:03 AM »
Seer, troupemaster, deathjester, harlequins and jetbikes by the looks of it.

Offline Rillietann

• Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 02:24:52 AM »
Seer, troupemaster, deathjester, harlequins and jetbikes by the looks of it.

Yeah, it'll probably just be repackages of all bar the Jetbikes. To be honest for the most part I'm pretty happy with that as the current models are great but I was hoping for a few more options.

Offline cavalier

• Battle Brother
  • Eldar Corsairs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 07:07:45 AM »
Way to go on the Harley army... its always one of the most challenging projects and Eldar player can pursue. My only concern is the lack of anti-tank which is huge in the 7th ed.

I would definitley rock some blaster-born, and give the Archon a blaster in addition to his agonizer. The Dark Eldar trueborn heads (the glassy faceless ones with but a single eye) will mesh perfectly into a harley themed army. Also I notice you put down no Wraithknight... just so you know the guy who wrote the Harlequin book for black library (which I haven't read to be honest) made a gorgeous Harlequin army featured in multiple issues of White Dwarf where he was rocking Wraithseers, Harlies with Shuriken Catapults and also a Wraithknight. He converted the head to have a Dark Elf cold-one shield with the ulthwe-style eye covering half the face and it looked great. Honestly Harlies had titans back in the day so I wouldn't flinch taking one. But its your vision so by all means adhere to things the way you see them.

Here's an image BTW:

Offline Rillietann

• Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 03:14:56 PM »
Way to go on the Harley army... its always one of the most challenging projects and Eldar player can pursue. My only concern is the lack of anti-tank which is huge in the 7th ed.

I would definitley rock some blaster-born, and give the Archon a blaster in addition to his agonizer. The Dark Eldar trueborn heads (the glassy faceless ones with but a single eye) will mesh perfectly into a harley themed army. Also I notice you put down no Wraithknight... just so you know the guy who wrote the Harlequin book for black library (which I haven't read to be honest) made a gorgeous Harlequin army featured in multiple issues of White Dwarf where he was rocking Wraithseers, Harlies with Shuriken Catapults and also a Wraithknight. He converted the head to have a Dark Elf cold-one shield with the ulthwe-style eye covering half the face and it looked great. Honestly Harlies had titans back in the day so I wouldn't flinch taking one. But its your vision so by all means adhere to things the way you see them.

Here's an image BTW:

My god, that thing is beautiful!
I'm not totally against including a Wraithknight, just for the moment I want to keep it as a real webway strike force (Much like my old Beloved Ulthwe strike force from the EoT campaign) and to be honest I am really wanting to do my best on making this army in terms of the painting etc and I'd have to spend so much time on the Wraithknight I'd never have the army ready for March! haha
Anti-Tank is definitely a concern, the blaster on the Archon is a good call and I shall have a look into some Blasterborn.
Thanks!

Offline Rillietann

• Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 10:07:32 AM »
Well although I have still yet to hear any confirmations about the Harlie codex but I have started construction.
The basics of the army are together:
  • Full unit of Harlequins build ready for priming
  • Two Units of 5 Wyches, One unit painted. These will be my Mimes
  • Wraithlord- All painted up and ready to go
  • Solitaire Conversion- Pics in my thread in the Conversions forum
Still looking into ideas for the list but also trying to think of what I can convert Death Jesters out of to represent Dark Reapers.
Here are a couple of photos:

Offline ShadowcatX

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2015, 10:53:46 AM »
Rumors are growing, and it has only been a week. Don't expect anything official for almost a month.
Everything I have ever told you, even this, is a lie.

Offline Kayreios

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 10:27:18 PM »
Looking good.