Author Topic: Burning Chariot of Tzeentch  (Read 1359 times)

Offline cgseahawker

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Burning Chariot of Tzeentch
« on: January 10, 2015, 10:45:47 AM »
OK, so I have read through the rules a few times now, as well as my army codex (Chaos Daemons) and I've also observed several games played (I'm still buying and painting my army, hence this question pre-purchase). Why in the world are people NOT using this Heavy Support choice? It looks rock solid to me. As I read/interpret the rules, what you get for a low point cost is a fast, skimmer that can fire one of the riders heavy weapons each turn. If "two is one," then wouldn't it be great to pop off a couple D3 Str 9 AP 2 weapon in an army starving for anti-vehicle...am I missing the point? I see pairing two chariots up and running them behind my 9 man Screamers unit and just flying up a flank...no? Any input would be much appreciated. I'm ready to buy these, but I just wanted to reach out to the community here in the event there is a glaring error in my understanding of this unit.

Offline cgseahawker

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Burning Chariot of Tzeentch
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 01:57:12 PM »
For anyone who cares, I test drove a predominantly Tzeentch list with some Khorne elements earlier this week and dropped in 3 Burning Chariots to see how they would fare. Now, they were aided by a Demon Prince of Tzeentch loaded up with Biomancy powers amongst other things, but those Chariots trashed a mechanized SM list. I was shocked at how quickly they tore apart my opponent's armored advance. In total they killed: 3 Razorbacks, 2 Predators, and 12 marines. I did confer FNP+6 to one of the units, but it never really became a factor. All 3 Chariots fell by turn 3, but that was pretty solid damage output. I never planned on them living beyond turn 3 anyways, so in that respect they met my expectations of durability. In the end, this was only one game against a store regular, so I will be testing this approach out several more times. So in short, if you were interested in the question presented but just didn't feel like replying, so far they seem like a great choice. I found the d3 short range lascanon shots great for opening up transports so a second chariot could flame the unit with Str5 AP3 Torrent. I would have to say for the points they are a solid option in an army devoid of anti-vehicle options. Some might argue that the Soul Grinder is the way to go, or the DP, but I'd retort with 2 Chariots are nearly the same points as a tricked out SG...and to be honest, they were a ton of fun for both players. So there you go.

Offline Unholyllama

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 03:31:42 PM »
There's a couple of reasons why you don't see this more.

1. A lot of people look at Open-topped vehicles that are 10/10/10 as little more than paper airplanes since they can fall to Bolter fire.  1 shot from a traditional anti-vehicle weapon almost guarantees an explosion.

2. In 6th edition, they were transports with the rider unable to embark, in addition, both the Blue and Pink Flames are Heavy weapons - so they are firing snap shots if you move at all.  In the case of the Pink Flames template, you can't snap shoot it due to being a template.

3. The Soul Grinder has Skyfire, The Skull Cannon has Ignores Cover.

4. The Blue Flame's range of 18" is "ok"; however, not that good.  Factor in random shot number and snapshots if you move, the odds are against you in hitting.

For you to have that good of results from your chariots, I have to wonder if you weren't snap shooting them or if your dice were extremely lucky.  Skimmer chariots are really good in 7th edition; however, it's the Heavy weapon on the rider that is the largest issue with the chariot.

Offline cgseahawker

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 07:20:23 PM »
Sorry to disagree with you here, but chariot riders have Relentless, so no issues with snap shots.

Offline Angelic

• Corsair of Yriel's Eldritch Raiders
  • Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 09:53:08 PM »
Also given that Explodes! is now a 7 on the Vehicle Damage Table and Open-Topped only confers a +1 I don't really see it as a guarantee.

Even with an AP1 weapon you need to roll a 4 after hitting and penetrating.. Can't really agree with you there, however being glanced to death by Bolters is definitely a risk you take with something so lightly armoured.
The Dance Without End Begins..