Author Topic: Necrons vs. Wolf Star  (Read 2493 times)

Offline PDzikus

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Necrons vs. Wolf Star
« on: March 16, 2015, 09:41:56 AM »
I've recently got a very nice local tournament, where my Necron Decurion did great job till I met a WolfStar.
WolfStar: 3 WolfLords, 1 WolfPriest, 5 bikes with grav guns, 2 Librarians (one with Invisibility, one with demon summoning spell).
This thing was just incredibly tough - I was able to kill maybe one model out of it with all I got (including Wraiths + Destroyer Lord, tons of Destroyers, and some warriors) - it's very resilient, can split into multiple parts, has AP2 S9 attacks, 2+/3++ and Feel No Pain. Also Hit and Run.

Now for next time I want to be prepared for this beast - how would you propose to handle it with Necrons? Any ideas?
Currently the best I came with was Canoptek Harvest + Zanhdrekh (for Hit and Run) + Orikan for AP2 and rerolls of 1 on saves.

Offline ShadowcatX

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Necrons vs. Wolf Star
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 10:02:10 AM »
Like any death star, ignore it. Tie it up if you can.
Everything I have ever told you, even this, is a lie.

Offline Unholyllama

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 10:50:11 AM »
Putting Zahndrekh and/or Orikan in with Wraiths is counter productive.  Their best asset is speed and adding those characters to it removes it.

I agree with ShadowcatX - try to ignore it and/or tie it up with cheap/throw away units in order to apply some pain.  I would also ditch a Decurion for a CAD if your meta is still running death stars.  Deathstars don't work well against Objective Secure - especially when a Ghost Ark of warriors is extremely powerful.

On a side note - I don't recall any of those models having Hit and Run.  I could be remembering wrong (I don't play wolves) but how did your opponent have Hit and Run? 

Offline PDzikus

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 12:01:54 PM »
White Scars bikes.
And it's really hard to tie a unit that can split into 8 powerful CC units if needed - he just steamrolled through my units once he was done with my Wraith unit:
- One Wolf Lord killed 6 Deathmarks in 2 assault phases
- One Wolf Lord and Wolf Priest killed 3 Destroyers in 2 assault phases
- 5 Grav Bikes + 2 Librarians killed another Destroyer team in 1 round (shooting first, assaulting second)
- One Wolf Lord + 10 Demonettes wiped my Destroyers in 1 assault phase
So how exactly can you ignore this unit if it can split and wipe half of your army in 1 round?
Not to mention they all have 12 inches move and once he was in middle of the map in round 1 he could assault pretty much in every direction in round 2.
If you shoot with everything I got, I still wasn't able to do more then 2 wounds. He was taking it one a Wolf Lord till he was damaged and then just LOS it to another unit to spread the damage. Not sure if you ever fought something like this. And with 2+/3++/FnP/T5 it's really a lot of shooting you need to deliver to place a single wound there - it's like 2.5% chance per each shot from S4 and 3.7% on S5.

Offline maelstorm

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 12:18:38 PM »
Deathstars require an enormous amount of points to work.  Use Zhandrekh to hand out Fearless to hold them up while you rip apart the remaining 750 points in his list, continue to play the mission for points.

You should always be at your maximum range (move backwards as necessary) from an opponents units unless A). You can handle them in CC if they charge or B). You are in double tap range and will decimate their ability to damage you in return.  Always relocate 23.5" away from 12" move enemy assault forces - confirm with your opponent that you are at maximum or beyond charge range before their turn starts.  Politely feed them units chargable units that will pull them away from the rest of your forces.

When in doubt, take 2 min-sized units of bare-bones Tomb Blades and use them as speed bumps.  They can relocate anywhere on the board quickly and set themselves up to halt a charge and tie up the death star during your opponents turn.  Allowing you to continue to score points and pull apart the rest of your opponents forces.  Death stars cannot assault on turn 1, feed them a 54 point unit of Tomb Blades on turns 2 and again on turn 3 directing their movement and pulling them out of position to harm your forces.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 12:23:55 PM by maelstorm »

Offline Unholyllama

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 12:53:05 PM »
White Scars bikes.
And it's really hard to tie a unit that can split into 8 powerful CC units if needed - he just steamrolled through my units once he was done with my Wraith unit:
- One Wolf Lord killed 6 Deathmarks in 2 assault phases
- One Wolf Lord and Wolf Priest killed 3 Destroyers in 2 assault phases
- 5 Grav Bikes + 2 Librarians killed another Destroyer team in 1 round (shooting first, assaulting second)
- One Wolf Lord + 10 Demonettes wiped my Destroyers in 1 assault phase
So how exactly can you ignore this unit if it can split and wipe half of your army in 1 round?
Not to mention they all have 12 inches move and once he was in middle of the map in round 1 he could assault pretty much in every direction in round 2.
If you shoot with everything I got, I still wasn't able to do more then 2 wounds. He was taking it one a Wolf Lord till he was damaged and then just LOS it to another unit to spread the damage. Not sure if you ever fought something like this. And with 2+/3++/FnP/T5 it's really a lot of shooting you need to deliver to place a single wound there - it's like 2.5% chance per each shot from S4 and 3.7% on S5.

That's a lot of damage output to be taking out T5 W2 destroyers.  That just sounds odd or REALLY good dice vs REALLY bad dice.  And with everything being split up like that, there's no way Invisibility should have played THAT big of a role.  Something just doesn't add up to me unless it was simply hot vs cold dice.  I'm not saying that is the best of unit v unit matchups; however it shouldn't have been THAT onesided.

Offline PDzikus

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 02:08:14 PM »
First he has some Hammer of Wraith attacks, they rarely do any damage, but it is possible. Then a Wolf Lord on charge has S9, 5 attacks, each AP1 with WS 6. So they hit 3-4 attacks, each one wounding on 2+, so 3 wounds, no saves. Just RP - 1-2 wounds per one Wolf Lord. So two of those deal around 3-4 wounds to Destroyers in round 1. Now you make a morale roll - which on 6 might fail 60% of time. Even they don't win on round 1, they usually wipe 3 Destroyers  unit in second round of fight. And that's on average rolls.

On Deathmarks it's about the same - they ignore armor, they cause ID wounds, so RP is on 5+. I think I lost 4 Deathmarks on charge and then 2 on the round 2.

10 Demonettes - they only wound Destroyers on 6, but all their wounds are Rending. So it was like 30 attacks on charge if I remember right, 20 something hits, around 4-5 wounds, only RP roll. Then Wolf Lord joined - ok, so it was two assault phases. Still they just died - failed morale roll.

Offline MajorVandal

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 01:35:12 PM »
New to 7th. not played against wolf star. normal 12 inch deployment got first turn. line up 2 ANB(barge) 24" apart at 3feet mark. 5 immortals. C Harvest 4 Wraith 3 scrab. tomb spider. hidden in back Vod overlord PS WS with LGuard 3 shield 2 WS.
stole int. charged wolf star unit of (7+?)   16 including run. dropped drop pod 6 in far right end in my deployment lot of shooting had another support unit cant remember function running behind 2 wounds each. 5 of them.
Drop pod people pen ANB

Offline MajorVandal

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 02:24:58 PM »
Support unit take out spider shooting.
I need to vod. get close to Wolf star. scatter close to support  run spead out. Anb moves 6 get in range puts 3 wounds on wolf star unit . 5 tome blade deal with drop pod people not rapid fire get 2 . 5 immortals only see drop pd. 1hp.
wraiths and scarab assault to delay I loose 1 wraith over watch. real problem in assault remaining 3 can not cover bases of wolf star. 4 of them go first. lost 1 wound 1scarab base . do 2 wounds on wolf star I pass L
 do delay wolf star 2 turns get to shoot ANB again do 1 wound.   killed via shooting and assault all drop pod and people
His start turn 3 I still had 5 immortals,  1 ANB 1 hp   Lguard +lord - locked in combat with support unit. he multi assaulted ANB immortals. I was tabled my forth.

Offline Meros

• Brother Captain
  • Part dæmon and proud of it.
    • View Profile
    • My Horus Heresy blog
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 08:55:22 PM »
Drop the deathmarks, theyre pretty rubbish. Swap them for flayed ones. On the charge each flayed one vet's 5 attacks with shred, even at I2 that'll do some decent damage. I agree with budget tomb blades.

Technically you can use your choice of rules/data sheets as of space wolf campaign book (see a BOFLS), so if you're sick of the wolves take a trancendant C'tan from the apocalypse book (it's nasty but it should do the job).
http://Www.the-newzealand-wordbearer.blogspot.co.nz
My Horus Heresy blog.

We are all minions of the dark gods, one part in their great game