Author Topic: What are our best tanks in the 6th?  (Read 2733 times)

Offline mattblowers

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Gaming Blog
What are our best tanks in the 6th?
« on: August 02, 2013, 03:49:02 PM »
We all know it.  Tanks are where the IG live and die (though I'm known for taking zero tanks in my Catachan jungle list, tanks don't fit the fluff).  So what do you like currently? 

Do you love the Hydra Flak?  CSM hates us for these.

Do you like manticore?  They seem to be growing in popularity. 

How about Vendettas/Valkyries?

Hellhound variants? Still one of my favs. 

Basilisks?  These seem to be last weeks meatloaf locally.  I still love the BFG and the damage it can dish out from afar.

Chimeras?  These seem to be on the evil step-child list lately.

Leman Russes?  I still love these. These are what originally brought me to IG and why I fell in love them in the first place.  There is just something really appealing about an army of ordinary men fighting genetically enhanced gene seed, the spawn of hell, and alien invaders.  So what about you?
Famous last words: "All I have to do is not roll ones...."

Check out my painting blog at http://lilliputianwars.blogspot.com/

Offline Neojarlaxe

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
    • Campo de Batalla (Battlefield)
Re: What are our best tanks in the 6th?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 05:14:52 AM »
Vendetta I found to be one of the most solid choices in 6th edition. Can be used as anti-flyers and anti-tank vehicle depending on your opponent, and if needed to transport and deploy infantry units.

Leman Russes are still quite strong with the armor 14 in the front. I prefer standard Leman Russ or Demolishers, some times i field the exterminator variant to shoot the  flyers if needed.

If your opponent is using a strong use of cover saves Manticore are very good, or Hellhound types. Keep the Manticore out of range of the opponent weapons or hidden out of line of sight using disposable infantry to hold your opponent far from your tanks.  Hellhound variants are very good against hunting units in cover but they have to operate lose to the enemy making it vulnerable to the enemy weapons.
You are invited to my Blog and my YouTube Channel:
http://figurasvictorq.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/user/neojarlaxe

Offline ashanson1012

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 02:54:16 PM »
Have not gotten to use a hydra yet but looks very promising.

I use a Manticore in basically every match for 1500pts and up, the change in large bast templets make it a decent way to kill vehicles.

I run 1 vendetta in every match too, I love putting a vet squad in there with x3 melta guns and the demolitions doctrine. I have a Valkyries too but hardly use it.

Out of the hellhouds I run the Devil Dog with a multi melta, I love chasing terminator around with it.
(The vendetta and Devil Dog are staples in my lists)

I find the use of a master of Ordnance to be slightly better, 30pts, leaves a open heavy slot for another set of Leman Russ.

The Chimera i really don't use to much when i do i usually drop my men out behind a cover and run the chimera empty with my devil dog makes a good moving target for my oppenit to focus on while my bigger guns do damage.

The Leman Russ was the reason i fell in love with the IG and became my first and favorite army. The battle tank i find to be the best anymore with out trying to list tailoring, I put them behind a defense line with camo cloaks. My opponent has to roll to hit then i get my 3+ cover save then he has to roll to penetrate 14 armor(I get some nasty looks from opponents for it). I have found that the Punisher with Pask makes Deamons jump back into the warp, and eradicator really gets rid of eldar. The Executioner is to expensive i think, I used to run it alot but hardly anymore. I don't run the demolisher to much either the Manticore supplys 1-3 S10 shots even though its only ap4 compared to ap2. I dont find the Vanquisher that great either, it was only good with Pask and thats alot of points, The vendettas 3 twin-linked lascannons replaced the Vanquisher in my book.

Offline Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 03:27:28 PM »
Manticore.
Leman Russ.
Hellhounds (or variants)

in my neck of the woods.

Never see sentinels anymore.
Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Look on my works ye mighty, and despair...

Offline Michael Petrou

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 05:07:58 PM »
deathstrike is really fun against hordes.

Offline Raggbur

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 04:14:57 AM »
Top is the vendetta, if you consider that a tank. No doubt.
Cheapest flyer, transport capability for late game objective grabbing, cheap HB upgrade, AV12, 3 HP... For 130 pts?
Oh, yeah, 3 TL-lascannons, but that's minor thing right?  ::)

Second... Gotta go with the manticore.
Best piece of artillery (barrage FTW in 6th edition) hands down.
Why? Well, simple: S10, and multiple blasts. Huzzah.
And it's got the range, so you really don't care about your weak armour

Basilisks... Well, I used to play with 6x forgeworld artillery pieces, who are like the basilisk... But impossible to kill, with the options to ignore cover and so on.
So, I'm not really impressed anymore by just 'a' basilisk. Yeah, I know, it's a personal thing.

S10 AP2 in any form (demolisher, medusa) is always good, it's just that it's either paper-thin artillery (medusa) or short-ranged (demolisher)

Chimera's are still decent, still use 'm in some lists.
A 3x plasma vet squad in a chimera can still do a couple of things. It's mobile, and can dish out some firepower.
Good protection and platform for your magic flag Company Command.
Oh and the multi-laser/heavy flamer can still make a difference sometimes.
We must forgive our enemies...
But not before they are hanged

My Blog: raggburscodex.blogspot.com
Aaaand Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Raggbur/feed?activity_view=3

Offline Bad Wolf

• Battle Brother
  • War doesn't determine whoIs right,only who is left
    • View Profile
    • Fearless 40k
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 06:42:15 AM »
Leman Russes are still a lot of fun. I have run 5 at 1,000 points and did pretty well in the tournament. Most of the players thought a couple lascannons would suffice for anti-tank. My favortite is the Battle Tanks, though the demolisher is a lot of fun too.

2k Dark Angels
4k Grey Knights
4k Imperial Guard

Offline AXEBLADE

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 03:44:27 PM »
I love hellhounds.
Most armies that I face either have:
a unit of guys with a 4+ save or worse who infiltrate into cover (scouts, kroot).
Or have bunched up models (from getting out of vehicles or having to move through choke points)
The template is really great against those.

Even when there isn't a "good target" (something that evaporates when you point the flamer at them) nothing likes taking that template and you can use the physical size of the model to block LOS. The extra side armour really helps out here as now they need a decent gun to take it down.

The rest of my list has turned towards artillery (because thats how I want my army to play) but other than that I love the Demolisher. I get lots of deathstar units in my area and that pie is just amazing.

Offline riathenors

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 09:42:49 AM »
hellhounds and vendetta's are great units but I find griffons to be incredible.  I have 6 griffons which I can bring to a fight if needed, as well as 3 hydras.  in fact I got tons of heavy choice units I can add to a army.  pretty sure my IG army is getting pretty close to 10k in points.  though my salamanders space marine army is probably bigger.

ok back on track griffons are my must bring, hydras are a toss up unless I know I am playing eldar then they are mandatory.   Maticores have a unspoken ban on them in my gaming circle the others players are lactose intolerant (cheese). so I try and keep things fun and interesting with my lists

Offline AlexEvans

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 05:43:51 PM »
Although the Leman Russ executioner is expensive I still really like it. I often end up playing armies that have lots
of 2+ and 3+ saves and it never lets me down. I play it with the executioner cannon and plasma cannon sponsons.

My second choice is the default battle tank. The old and reliable is another great option, especially against those anoying MEQs 

Offline Ash1986

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 05:28:02 AM »
The most under rated tank is the colossus. Str6 ap3 no cover. The griffon as a marker works well.

My best tank is leaman Russ punisher. Lots of Dakka