Author Topic: New to WH40k. Want to start a space wolves army. HELP!!  (Read 3906 times)

Offline Lruss40k

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
New to WH40k. Want to start a space wolves army. HELP!!
« on: June 03, 2015, 08:06:09 PM »
Hey everybody. Just wanted to say what's up. This is my first time on the forum and just thought I would say hello and of course I need help with what the topic says. I've read the rules for 40k, looked at the codex for the space wolves and liked what I saw. I went out and bought one box of Grey Hunters/Blood Claws/Wolf Guard. Now here's is my dilemma, I want to build my army up and I figured this would be a great place to start a-la a basic troop choice. Now I'm wondering if I should make a 10 man Grey Hunters Pack, Blood Claws pack, Wolf Guard pack, or should I maybe do 5 and 5 of 2 of them. Now I know grey hunters and blood claws are troop choices and wolf guard are elite. I was wondering since I will most likely do grey hunters, are blood claws even worth it, I mean are they even any good?

Offline ANevskyUSA

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: New to WH40k. Want to start a space wolves army. HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 10:26:48 PM »
One thing you must ask yourself is what kind of player you are.  From a fluff perspective, you should have Blood Claws since these guys eventually, though attrition and experience, become Grey Hunters.

As far as gameplay goes, Blood Claws are very good value for close combat because WS3 is no different from WS4 when you are attacking in most circumstances (because most models in the game have WS of less than 7).  This means that like the Assault Marines of other chapters, you will still be hitting on 4s at a 2 point per model discount (the flip side is that it is easier to hit Blood Claws than Assault Marines) and you will get an extra attack per model as compared to the Assault Marines in the first turn of combat.  Moreover, Blood Claws can get two special melee weapons in a squad (Wolf Guard pack leader + the one blood claw with a power weapon or power fist) as compared to the one that Assault Marines get (the sgt).  Do not underestimate this: You can accept/declare a challenge with the Wolf Guard Pack leader while still getting four S5 AP2 power axe attacks against the enemy unit in the first round of combat from a regular trooper.  Also, because you need to think about a delivery system, Blood Claws do not come with jump packs (a 3 point per model savings) but get to take an assault vehicle Stormwolf as a dedicated transport.

Bottom line about Blood Claws - for what you would be doing with Assault Marines, you get more bang for your buck with Blood Claws.  If you want to take the fight to the enemy in close combat, Blood Claws are a good choice.

Offline SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 12:13:24 AM »
Except for the fact that 40k is in the height of a shooting edition and even with all that, Blood Claws are STILL just Marines and Marines in Assault are pathetic.  Their only legitimate target on a table is the things worse than them, and that is usually just backfield units or long range cannon types.  They can handle a squad of Guardsmen just fine if it's small, but they won't be able to kill the equivalent Orks, or Tyranids, or other units or armies more suited to the task.

Gray Hunters are a bit of an issue as well.  They're Space Marine Tactical Squads, pure and simple.  Another squad that isn't good.  If you're taking a normal Detachment, you have to have troops so may as well suck it up and use them.  I would build them as these to save costs.  Poster above was talking about the reduced points of a Blood Claw pack, then adding transports...  Well that ruins the reduced price to make the unit worth anything.  Gray Hunters can take a Rhino or Pod and be done with it.  Nice and simple because they don't need to get into contact before they are useful.

But, if you pick up the 13th Company Supplement and use that Detachment, you don't need troops.  You can just use Wolf Guard because it's an HQ, 2 Elites instead of 2 Troops.  And it bumps Wolf Guard, Terminators and Thunder Wolf Cavalry (you'll be using a lot of them) to WS5.  It's more of an investment, since you'll need another book, a more elite army, a bit more restrictive, different Relics, but it's the most well used way of running Wolves.

Offline tannibal_lecter

• Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 02:08:26 PM »
Hey everybody. Just wanted to say what's up. This is my first time on the forum and just thought I would say hello and of course I need help with what the topic says. I've read the rules for 40k, looked at the codex for the space wolves and liked what I saw. I went out and bought one box of Grey Hunters/Blood Claws/Wolf Guard. Now here's is my dilemma, I want to build my army up and I figured this would be a great place to start a-la a basic troop choice. Now I'm wondering if I should make a 10 man Grey Hunters Pack, Blood Claws pack, Wolf Guard pack, or should I maybe do 5 and 5 of 2 of them. Now I know grey hunters and blood claws are troop choices and wolf guard are elite. I was wondering since I will most likely do grey hunters, are blood claws even worth it, I mean are they even any good?

This is my favourite unit EVER. I, however, am not a super competitive player but I will be fielding a large squad of blood claws with Krom in a Stormwolf in an upcoming tournament.

I think it depends on your play style personally. I play extremely wreckless. I fly those little army men in real close and blast as much as I can with the Stormwolf before deploying them into battle. They are pretty good at decimating most non armour things, and five attacks each on the charge from 14 models is pretty devastating to most troop and elite choices(with armour 3+ or worse).

If you are the kind of player that is afraid to just jump headlong into the battle then perhaps grey hunters are better for you. Either way, space wolves can be a difficult army to play this edition. It does require you to have a delivery system and use terrain well in order to weather the storm of bullets.

Offline Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 03:41:58 PM »
One of the scariest things I ever faced when playing my Tyranids was a Space Wolf land raider that rumbled forward and belched out some Blood Claws led by some priest-dude crashing into my warriors. It’s one thing to know the dice-flow stats in your head, and another very sobering experience to see it in action against your toys on the table.

They slaughtered by warriors on the charge, and then I drowned them in 40+ genestealers and assimilated them, BUT if my opponent had planned just a bit better and took out my ‘stealers or at least enough that I couldn’t effectively counter attack, those ‘claws would have had direct access to all my back field space bugs who would have hand no way of stopping their rampage.

If you go with BC’s as mentioned you will need a nice sized back to generate enough dice, and a delivery system for them.
Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Look on my works ye mighty, and despair...

Offline Womprat

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 04:11:16 PM »
Yes Blood Claws are good, so are Grey Hunters. Welcome to the FANG!

Consider a large mob of 15 foot Blood Claws lead by a character. Otherwise 10 Grey Hunters in a Rhino are good too.

Be careful NOT to put too much bling on your Wolves, SW are one of the hardest models to paint with all the bling.

Offline tannibal_lecter

• Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 01:23:00 PM »

Be careful NOT to put too much bling on your Wolves, SW are one of the hardest models to paint with all the bling.

Yes, the doodads and thingamawhatsits on them are very time consuming to paint. They looks amazing when they are done though. We could use more pictures in the gallery BTW.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 06:11:35 PM »
I have to put a vote in for grey hunters. Inside a drop pod with 2 melta guns they can, and will kill MANY MANY THINGS. Don't be afraid to take them with pistol, bolter, and chainsword. Paint the extra points for that extra attack in CC is worth it. Coming out of the drop pod you'll have 8 bolter shots and when you get charged they'll have counter attack. Even with all the space marine killing things that are popular right now, they'll still do some serious damage.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline bloodclaw bob

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 10:28:20 AM »
LongFangs with Lascannons are a must.  I like to have either a vengeance weapon battery next to them or a void shield generator. 10 Wolf scouts with Camo cloaks and sniper rifles cost 170 pts and can be one of those units that can't be ignored for a round or two allowing your ThunderWolf cavalry or BloodClaws to get into assault range. Last piece of advice is to take every storm shield possible. If your going to be an assault army do it right, Get in their deployment zone at turn 2 at the latest and slay the enemies of Russ

Offline Jester4532

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 10:39:50 PM »
I really like my blood claws. But the only thing with them is getting them into close combat. I play a Blackmane army so I have three drop pods with 5 blood claws each coming down. That's 15 blood claws with three flamers for 195 points.

Offline Rosbjorn

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 05:22:54 PM »
Welcome to the Rout , brother!

I would just like to add that the Space Wolves start collecting box is a fantastic option when you are just starting out. You can build the marines into bloodclaws, grey hunters or wold guard and then it comes with thunderwolves which are a fantastic unit as well as a wolf lord model that I usually make into a wolf guard pack leader or something. (I prefer my wolf lords in terminator armour or on a thunderwolf)