Author Topic: Question Sword Bretherin  (Read 3262 times)

Offline Jodneah

• Neophyte
  • No Pain No Pity No Remorse
    • View Profile
Question Sword Bretherin
« on: June 18, 2015, 03:38:46 PM »
Hi guys, iv been building my Black Templars army for about 3 months now and i think its about time to add some Sword Bretherin/Vanguard Veterans to the mix, I have some ideas for some unique conversions but before I actually glue anything together i was hoping somebody would know what would be the best way to kit them out i.e all with power weapons, chain-swords, two-by-four with a nail in it? So basically how do you guys think is the best way to build them to keep them ass fluffy as possible but at the same time make an effective unit on the battle field. oh yeah will post pics somewhere when they are finished.

thanks guys  :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 04:11:10 PM by Jodneah »

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
Re: Question Sword Bretherin
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 09:04:59 PM »
I would suggest grav pistols, power axes, and a powerfist on the sergeant. Forcing your opponent to strike at I1 is pretty sweet.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Jodneah

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 03:12:46 PM »
but arent power axes unweildy and make the carrier attack at I1 or have i misunderstood the I1 thing? the axes would look pretty cool though :P

Offline Dirty Harry

• Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 09:26:29 PM »
Yes, power axes strike at I1 but the concussive from grav will help you keep on a level playing field and with a power axe you have the AP2 in assault.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Jodneah

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 01:18:21 AM »
can u let me know where that rule is just so i can read it?

Offline Jodneah

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 01:31:27 AM »
ha never mind i found it, ok but what happens if i just miss all my shots is there anything i could also include just as a back up, i was thinking half axes with the grav pistols like you suggested but what would you think of just power swords and bolt pistols on half of the squad. ill have 5 for now but 10 man squad in the future, would the inclusion of a melta or flamer be a good idea too?

Offline Dirty Harry

• Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 06:08:58 AM »
Well, in a 10 man I'd just put more bodies in the unit. You could also take sword brethren and run them like a command squad, in which case you can take an apothecary, and give them feel no pain. Run helbrecht in the command squad and you can give them furious charge, and fleet.

Offline Hawkeye299

• The Hawkboss
  • Global Moderator
  • Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 04:37:32 PM »
I might be missing something, but I don't see the grav/axe combo being that good, It will work on monstrous creatures and multi wound models but those are somewhat more rare than just the usual 1 wound models, since concussive only works on an unsaved wound and is done per model, it will have no effect on units made up of 1 wound guys, plus you are looking at 30 points of extra gear, I would recommend for vanguard, just a few power swords/maces, maybe a power fist/melta bomb.

as for command squads, a squad of 4 vets with power weps and storm shields with an apocrypha would look really cool and be tough, but isn't the most competitive.

just my two cents

Hawk  ;D

Offline Brother_Cadiel

• Neophyte
  • Abhor the Traitor, the Alien and the Mutant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 06:11:30 AM »
I would recommend for vanguard, just a few power swords/maces

Yes I think I'd run them like this also maybe in a 7 to 8 man squad.
--
No pity, No remorse, No fear

Offline Dirty Harry

• Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 12:49:48 PM »
I might be missing something, but I don't see the grav/axe combo being that good, It will work on monstrous creatures and multi wound models but those are somewhat more rare than just the usual 1 wound models, since concussive only works on an unsaved wound and is done per model, it will have no effect on units made up of 1 wound guys, plus you are looking at 30 points of extra gear, I would recommend for vanguard, just a few power swords/maces, maybe a power fist/melta bomb.

as for command squads, a squad of 4 vets with power weps and storm shields with an apocrypha would look really cool and be tough, but isn't the most competitive.

just my two cents

Hawk  ;D

That's the thing though, is most of the unit is striking at normal initiative because only a few guys in it are swinging axes.