Author Topic: 2000 pt Craftworld Warhost vs Imperial Guard  (Read 1790 times)

Offline Bearded Beheader

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
2000 pt Craftworld Warhost vs Imperial Guard
« on: July 08, 2015, 08:37:35 AM »
Tomorrow I am fighting a battle and I put this together because I want to use the Warhost. My opponent is from my club and has a massive Guard army so will most likely have a bunch of tanks, big platoons and Ogryns. He doesn't have take fliers in this army so that's not an issue.

For the tank reason I am going with the Wraithknight with the cannons but I am still uncertain on that because I think he can get whittled done without the invul save, so perhaps the sword would be better, but then he can get tar pitted.

Also, I went with the guardians instead of the bikes to try them out; same with the Banshees and Scorpions. I included the Dire Avengers in the Aspect Host even with the increased WS because you can't take Dire Avengers separately in the Warhost without taking the Dire Avenger Shrine.

So here is the list:

Autarch w/Avenger Catapult and Power Lance

Rangers x6

Aspect Host:
  Dire Avengers x5 (Ex has Power Lance and Shield)
  Scorpions x6 (Ex has Claw)
  Banshees x10 (Ex has Executioner)

Guardian Battlehost:
  Farseer w/Spear & Stone of Anath'lan
  Guardians x10 w/Brightlance
  Guardians x10 w/Brightlance & Warlock w/Spear
  Guardians x10 w/Brightlance & Warlock w/Sword
  Vyper w/Missile Launcher
  War Walkers x 2 (Scat Laser & Mis Launcher; Scat Laser & Mis Launcher)
  Vauls Wraith Support x3 w/Warlock (Shadow Weavers)

Fire Prism w/Holo-Fields & Crystal Targeting Matrix

Falcon w/Holo-Fields and two Sh. Cannons

Wraithknight w/ 2 Sh Cannons & Heavy Wraith Cannons

Total: 1997
---

I don't really have a specific plan. The general idea is that the Autarch will join the Dire Avengers and ride in the Falcon. The Farseer will join the unit of Guardians that don't have a Warlock. Infiltrate the Scorpions and Rangers. Barrage fire the Guard infantry. Try to take out the tanks. Advance forward and kill! I will probably screen the Banshees with the Falcon and Fire Prism until they are close enough to charge.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 09:01:57 AM by Bearded Beheader »

Offline Bearded Beheader

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: 2000 pt Craftworld Warhost vs Imperial Guard
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 07:44:21 PM »
Well, this game was awesome even though I lost by one point! The pic's are of the deployment. My Wraithknight is there but you can only see his base. My opponent kept an entire platoon (35 infantry!) in reserve and pulled a spectacular deep strike in my back field which ultimately led to him winning by getting Line Breaker.

My Warlord trait was the one were D3 units get Scout and I rolled a 6, so I gave the 3 Guardian units it. Plus I had first turn, so my whole army was across the table turn one. I controlled and dominated the center of the board, but the deep striking platoon had a big open area to drop into.

The Wraithknight with the Heavy Wraithcannons didn't impress me much. I took out two tanks with it, but I think I am going to stick with the Suncannon and Shield. If I had the Suncannon, I could have wiped out the units in my back field. He pretty much ignored the Wraithknight knowing that he could really only take out one tank a turn.

All and all, it was a fun game and I like the Warhost but even with 2000 points I don't know if that is enough points to really make it shine. Ideally, I would have liked to max out the Viper and War Walker Squads, plus take some more tanks. So I think I may stick with the CAD as the base structure of the army. This would free up other units like bikes and single Dire Avenger units.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 07:47:53 PM by Bearded Beheader »

Offline weidekuh

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 06:17:19 AM »
The Wraithknight can shoot at different units with its weapons. So you may kill 2 tanks/turn with it.

Glad you had fun. :)

Offline Bearded Beheader

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 08:47:50 AM »
I know, but the law of average is that he won't. I guess technically he can kill four vehicles a turn if you shoot the should mounted weapons at light vehicles. However, from a viewpoint of "should I worry about the Wraightknight, who can probably kill one thing a turn, or should I worry about the other stuff that is destroying my army" I would not even bother with the Wraithknight.

This is why I think the Suncannon is better. First, you don't have to roll to hit. Then you are getting three templates with high AP. Plus you get the shield save.

I know a lot of people may disagree, but this is just my preference based on my style of play.

(If I took two Wraithknights, one would be with the Heavy Wraithcannons)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 08:56:09 AM by Bearded Beheader »

Offline mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 08:54:59 PM »
I know, but the law of average is that he won't. I guess technically he can kill four vehicles a turn if you shoot the should mounted weapons at light vehicles. However, from a viewpoint of "should I worry about the Wraightknight, who can probably kill one thing a turn, or should I worry about the other stuff that is destroying my army" I would not even bother with the Wraithknight.

This is why I think the Suncannon is better. First, you don't have to roll to hit. Then you are getting three templates with high AP. Plus you get the shield save.

I know a lot of people may disagree, but this is just my preference based on my style of play.

(If I took two Wraithknights, one would be with the Heavy Wraithcannons)

I actually like the suncannon. It punishes the enemy for grouping together. And most likely wounding on 2's you only really need 1 of the 3 to hit. Saying that, we don't get the twin linking anymore unless you use a farseer with guide as a tax. (we tend to take a farseer anyway so go figure).

I think a normal wraithknight brings a certain relief too. First of all, You don't have to declare the shot till you fire it.

"ok im going to fire at that tank. Hit, boom.. ok now im going to fire at the second tank... target etc..."

The suncannon must all be at the same unit. Now against an experienced player who spreads themselves out (or vs an opponent whose troops are dirt cheap so they don't care about losses), the suncannon isn't that effective against. Saying that, how many times in a game at 48" range you can put 3 (guided) x Str 6 AP 2 templates over their army commander-- first blood thank you. :-)

Offline Bearded Beheader

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 05:45:21 PM »
About the Farseer tax, that's what my Tau friend told me about the Heavy Wraithcannons. That being that they should be Guided. My issue with this is that you are spending points, and not really cheap points at that, to essentially commit a Farseer to stay within range of the Wraithknight to cast one power on him to make almost guarantee he will hit.

To me that doesn't make tactically wise sense. This is because you are spending 100 points for something that is not guaranteed as you still have to roll to get the power off, and there is a chance that your opponent can dispel it. Then you still have to roll to hit, and you can still roll a 1 or 2, even with rerolls. To me that is too many if's that can happen to make it worth doing.