Author Topic: ad mech ally  (Read 2493 times)

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
ad mech ally
« on: July 18, 2015, 03:51:31 PM »
I know nothing about ad mech other than the models look sweet and I want to supplement my imperial forces with 500 pts of these guys. What would you recommend I take?
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline WolflordAkela

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: ad mech ally
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 05:22:02 AM »
Generally speaking, Destroyers with hvy grav cannons or breachers with Torsion cannons are the goto builds for troops. 155-180pts. With some clever magnetizing you could make them interchangeable. So two units of those and a Dominus should come close to your point mark.
Also at that point level consider the Holy Requisitioner formation.
Robots aren't really a good option until you scale up to 1k. The priests I have not yet tested.
Of course drop pods increase kill efficiency by lots
I have two tables and a storage bin of snowy terrain in the back of my truck, so don't think for one second I won't bring the full fury of Fenris to your damn doorstep.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 05:35:15 AM »
Hmm. What kinds of fun stuff could I take if I allied ad mech with Black Templars? I primarily run a 3 land raider Crusader for a mechanized list, I play 5 drop pods for an alpha strike, and I put up to 80 bodies on the table when I play foot slogging.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline WolflordAkela

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 05:44:44 PM »
Have you considered Skitarii also? They have a useful upgrade to certain models. Phosphor weapons allow rerolls to charge by friendlies against units hit by it. Coupled with everyone have crusader usr it will help get into combat.
With that many landraiders, the Dominus' ability to repair will be invaluable. There's also a 35pt upgrade to him called the Uncreator gauntlet, which can completely patch up vehicles, or completely disassemble them depending how you roll.
I have two tables and a storage bin of snowy terrain in the back of my truck, so don't think for one second I won't bring the full fury of Fenris to your damn doorstep.

Offline Unholyllama

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 09:46:59 AM »
I'm looking at Cult Mech allies for a few of my armies and fully agree with what Dirty Harry recommends in terms of the Destroyers or Breachers.  I'm looking at using the Holy Requisition formation since it would provide me with exactly what i'm looking for.

Offline WolflordAkela

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 07:17:33 AM »
Oh...aw.
As far as the electro-priests are concerned, they're appallingly hard to use. On the one hand, they're meant for front line combat. Either to get into close combat, or to use their silly 12in shooting attack. On the other hand they cost as much as veterans and have less than adepta sororitas stats, with an even smaller threat bubble.
Since the book has no transports to speak of, the only way to -kinda- mitigate their flaws is to take big packs(upto 20)
Which could be great if there was any reliable way of handing out infiltrate/scout/outflank, but there isn't, which is dumb, there's not even a cult mech warlord trait for it, and also begs the question WHY DOES INFOSLAVE SKULL GIVE ACUTE SENSES THEN?
It could be said that they're meant to flood in behind the Kastelan robots, or perhaps rent an allied landraider crusader.
But now as you can see, I've just spent almost 1000pts just to formulate a gameplan to try and effectively use a unit that you probably didn't want to take in the first place. I'm trying to be optimistic about the unit, but really it's just very unwieldy and weak. Like a tin foil razor blade.
I believe that every unit has its purpose and situation, but they're just too damn fragile to perform. Scatterlasers shred them, and we all know how prevalent those are.
I suppose it's also worth mentioning that there's a formation, minimum 360pts and gives them crusader usr, and some other quirky rules that don't justify the investment, but that's just my perspective.

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 02:45:42 PM »
I did a rather lengthy analysis comparing Kataphrons vs Devastators vs Centurions for grav-weapons. It's not really something I could copy and paste into the comments here. Kataphrons are certainly the most cost effective with their range and relentless being plusses but the thing that stops me from using them right now is their 4+ armor save. They die to heavy flamers too easily. Heavy bolters too but the heavy flamer is particularly a problem because it Ignores Cover and can flame into buildings. And naturally, anything that is AP4 or better can deny them a save. So, I've written them off as too hard to keep alive for my play style.

Having said that, if you're going MSU with many mid level threats, I can see using them to drive forward while shooting. Might work.

Offline Sadclown

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 12:14:40 AM »
The Holy Requisition force is a Tech-Priesf Dominus with three units of Breachers. I know people are crazy for torsion cannons but the numbers do not look great. They are just BS 3, and Torsion cannons only shoot a single shot, the dice can just go so bad for you. The heavy arc rifle seems like your more consistent option.

This actually looks lime your best option Harry. For 430 points you get a formation that begins the game in deep strike reserve, and starts rolling to come in turn 1 with a re-roll.

The Tech Priest can join a unit, but must be placed first. He will not scatter if he lands within 6" of an objective. Any of the units rrom the formation landing within 6" of him also do not scatter. All of the unite get zealot and counter attack if they are within 6" of an objective.
The 430 listed above includes the Scryerskull of Persipactus which allows you to either identify a mysterious objective or terrain piece any where on the board or select an enemy vehicle. All frieod cult and skitarii units reroll armor oentratiin rolls afainst that vehicle and can reroll glances to get pens.

For an exta 150 points, you can oick up a third squad of breachers. This would be 80 points over your budget however.

On a different topic, I plan on trying out electro-priests because the models look do cool. My idea so for is stick them in a Land Raider Crusader with Stern, an Iron Hands Chapter Master with a thunder hammer and shield eternal, and a sanguinary priest. They'll start of with a 4++
if stern can succssfully cast sanctuary. As soon as they kill a unit they'll be at a 2++ and able to hide behind a 2++/4+ FNP CM  It's kind of ridiculous pointswise.

Offline Unholyllama

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 09:29:04 AM »
Something to keep in mind with the the Holy Requisition and the Breacher's BS of 3 is that the Canticles will help a little bit.  Not a lot since 3 units will only get you the minimum level; however, it does help a bit.