Author Topic: Deathmarks: are they worth it?  (Read 3203 times)

Offline Meros

• Brother Captain
  • Part dæmon and proud of it.
    • View Profile
    • My Horus Heresy blog
Deathmarks: are they worth it?
« on: July 27, 2015, 03:38:02 PM »
I've been finding that deathmarks don't really cut it in necron forces. They have a 24" rapid fire gun with sniper: 4+ wounding and rending and precision shots. They gain effectively fleshbane on the turn they arrive but with only rending and ap5 I don't think that this makes much of a difference as the targets you will want to be firing on will most likely have better than a 5+ save ie: monsters, HQ.

Do you use them? How do you use them effectively? Or do you believe they should be improved and made more expensive, for example: 36" range, shred and ap 4?
http://Www.the-newzealand-wordbearer.blogspot.co.nz
My Horus Heresy blog.

We are all minions of the dark gods, one part in their great game

Offline Unholyllama

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Deathmarks: are they worth it?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 06:28:22 AM »
If I have points, I will run a unit of 7 or 8 Deathmarks in my Necron army and keep them in Deep Strike or in a Night Scythe (more precise placement).  They are almost always a 1-hit-wonder in that they come in, they kill something, and then die or do almost nothing the rest of the battle.  They are fantastic if you can get them within rapid fire range of a key target like a MC or resilient unit since you'll be producing enough shots to force enough saving throws and getting enough rending hits that you'll deal a lot of damage.  Alternatively, they are a good way to tactically clear an objective in an Eternal War mission.

Are they a stand out, must take unit?  Not really; however, they are a very tactical unit that can pay off big.

Offline ukjanus

• Blood for the Blood God
  • Supporter
  • Initiate
  • Death to the False Emperor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 07:52:54 AM »
I find they are not really top of my list in this codex, in fact I would rather just run more Immortals in a Night Scythe over Deathmarks... Also, It is my understanding that they only benefit from their special rule if they arrive via deep strike... so Deathmarks in a Night Scythe is pointless now in the new codex.
Blood for the Blood God

Offline Unholyllama

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 08:09:38 AM »
I find they are not really top of my list in this codex, in fact I would rather just run more Immortals in a Night Scythe over Deathmarks... Also, It is my understanding that they only benefit from their special rule if they arrive via deep strike... so Deathmarks in a Night Scythe is pointless now in the new codex.

That is correct that they don't get the 2+ to wound if you put them in a Night Scythe; however, depending on what I'm facing, I'll put them in one still to ensure I'll be within rapid fire range and not scatter out.  However, if I'm going up against a Wraithknight or similar nasty creature, deep strike is pretty much required for the 2+ to wound.

I also agree that there are other options.  The deathmarks are a lot like a Monolith now - not extremely effective; however, is a very tactical piece that can work well in certain situations.

Online Southendangel

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 12:54:55 PM »
as a virgin to their use love their look but seems they have been nurffed to pointlessness i mean snipers are their to deal with high t but with the dawn of 6 plus from warriors being able to wound high t unless they could maybe wound a wraith knight on a 2+ that might give them a hard counter to that making that their only effective use that other things cant do i assume that again warriors can do this on a 6+ i assume so that would again make them effectively useless anyway as gargatioen creatures are only wounded on 6+ by snipers so i feel they have been relegated to low tier however if your looking to play a fun game and go for something a little less effective go for them

i wonder they get it when they deep strike dose the monolith allow some abuse with that ? i might be wrong but worth asking?

anyway this is just a opinion based on what Ive read so take it with a pinch of salt

Online Draco765

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 05:26:05 PM »
Deathmarks look good on paper and in theory but when the dice hit the table, they are not all that good.

If they had AP3, they might be good, but with AP5 vs the amount of 3+ saves 4+ FNP/Reanimations out there, they just force armor saves most of the time which are easily passed.

To Southendangel: Monoliths do not make the Deathmarks come out of "Deepstrike Reserves" so the 2+ to wound does not trigger.

Offline Rezial

• Brother Captain
  • Dominus Mutationis
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 05:50:27 PM »
Don't have Necrons but I like them a lot.  I think I'd run Deathmarks from time to time just to play something different.  I seem to have really good luck with normal deep strikes though so I wouldn't mind gambling with them at all. 
Repent, for tomorrow you die.
http://rezial.blogspot.com/

Online Southendangel

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 03:59:20 AM »
I live the minitures and I love snipers so I'd use them for sure but I can see their issues athough if you have enuff of them I amagin the chance for 6s rending could help alot. Necrons are such a great stylised armie. I was wondering what targets would their abilities best work agenst.

Offline Meros

• Brother Captain
  • Part dæmon and proud of it.
    • View Profile
    • My Horus Heresy blog
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 03:24:48 AM »
Monsterous creatures, wraithknights (it's not flesh bane it is its own rule) most tyranid monsters (no invon). Only issue is the low volume of dice. You can max the squad and have 20 2+ wounding rending guns but that's an expensive one trick pony who is in the middle of your opponents army.
http://Www.the-newzealand-wordbearer.blogspot.co.nz
My Horus Heresy blog.

We are all minions of the dark gods, one part in their great game

Online Draco765

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 05:27:24 AM »
Monsterous creatures, wraithknights (it's not flesh bane it is its own rule) most tyranid monsters (no invon). Only issue is the low volume of dice. You can max the squad and have 20 2+ wounding rending guns but that's an expensive one trick pony who is in the middle of your opponents army.

Against Wraithknights, since the Synaptic Disintegrator has the Sniper rule, it still forces them to only wound on a 6.

Online Southendangel

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 11:12:39 AM »
intresting to know wraithknights are just so dirty i do hope they get nurfed a bit make them mostrus creature rather than gargatuen so units can better combat them or make rifels work normaly ageinst them.