Author Topic: New to 40k  (Read 1636 times)

Offline pinomac

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
New to 40k
« on: August 06, 2015, 02:07:34 AM »
hello, i am pinomac and i go start in world of 40k . I want to start with Chaos Space Marines , my local store advice me to buy Dark Vengeance Set and convert Dark angels to Chaos Space Marines since for the money of the box isnt better choice(rules and miniatures). Split with friends isnt option since they go for stuff without marines like Dark eldar, tyranids and necrons.

Any suggestion to convert? i thinking in just scrap the front insignia and remove insiginias of shoulder pad. So i can tell that armour was taken in that moment but with weapons i dont know what to do( i have acess to some bits of chaos space marines).I have experince with Warhammer fantasy

PS - i see this forum in Wargamer: Fritz youtube channel

Ty for your time :)

Offline amras_falassion

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • Eskaywoo: Brand Strategy and Design
Re: New to 40k
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 04:45:26 AM »
I don't collect chaos not marines. But I think the advice the store guy gave you is very sound.

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 05:20:06 AM »
The Dark Angels have a lot of iconography but they're not impossible.  A good hobby knife, a file, some simple skills and you can make do.  The emblems are easy enough, and the wings on the Terminators are okay.  Just have plans for the other crap on them, like the chestplates and the feathers.  An option is to go with the Fallen.  They're Dark Angels that are with Chaos.  Whole bunch of fluff about them if you care to look it up, but they are what the Dark Angels secretly hunt in the universe.  So, black armor, a dark green edge highlight, you have Fallen Dark Angels.  There's even a special character named Cypher that gives bonuses to some Chaos units making them into Fallen.

What I did to the basic marines is cut the heads off and buy some CSM heads off ebay.  Just a couple horned heads in the squad make a big difference.  Paint them up in suitable 'evil' color schemes and they look fine.  As you build your army, using a mix of these DV models and normal Chaos models makes it look more chaotic and has them fit in even more.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 08:56:24 PM »
the cool thing about chaos is they're made up of renegades, who's reasoning can range anywhere from being seduced by the forces of chaos, to just being disillusioned by the way the inquisition handles business. So it's not a stretch beyond the imagination to see formerly loyal space marines to take up arms with a warband after their chapter being wiped out, or abandoned and left to die.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline MBrenizer

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 04:39:55 PM »
I feel like with a few scratches and some creative painting, all that Dark Angel "wing iconography" can look like demon wings...

You can always "nurgle" up units with green stuff. Lots of YouTube videos on making small pustules of green stuff. Ravenwing bikes can be modded...

Offline pinomac

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 02:43:44 AM »
Thanks for your opinion, i buy the box yesterday, i am very satisfied with it and ready to enter in this world of 40k .I go post photos when i have some conversions and updated army :).

TY for your help.

Chaos Marines- Sanity is for the weak!