Author Topic: Bulletproofing: Allies for Space Wolves  (Read 1776 times)

Offline amras_falassion

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • Eskaywoo: Brand Strategy and Design
Bulletproofing: Allies for Space Wolves
« on: August 24, 2015, 10:50:04 AM »
Hi,

I'm not a Space Wolves player, but two of my buddies are.

I'm writing here to see if there are ways to improve their army composition in general. The reason is that I feel for them and wish to help them get some wins in for their games. I play Eldar (my one and only army) and generally beat them, and I feel that they're a bit down, and perceive Eldar as being overpowered/cheesy.

There is a thought, allies to improve their army composition. One of them has played Eldar for some time but with the Space Wolves craze hitting him, he abandoned the craftworld and sold off most of his models. Naturally I recommended Eldar as allies to fill in his gaps such as long range mobility.

They both want to play Thunderwolf cavalry (which I think is magnificent, both model wise and in uniqueness). But they have trouble getting the Thunderwolves into combat without sustaining heavy casualties to shooting.

I am genuinely seeking some advice to help by buddies out. Constructive comments are very welcomed.

note: since they change their lists over games to tweak, I have no way of confirming what sort of lists they have. I also think it's usually the player that wins/loses, and not the army list, but the list is A (not THE) factor.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
Re: Bulletproofing: Allies for Space Wolves
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 11:30:28 AM »
Vanilla Marines librarius conclave. Take 3-5 lobbies on bikes with T wolf cav. One of them will roll invisibility. Invisibility will help them close the gap and get into close combat with minimal loss.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline amras_falassion

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 11:01:40 PM »
How about running Space Wolves - Thunderwolves Cavalry?

How do you build a strategy and list around these cute fellas? (I really dig the models).

Offline Meros

• Brother Captain
  • Part dæmon and proud of it.
    • View Profile
    • My Horus Heresy blog
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 12:09:54 AM »
Is there anyway to give them outflank? Would get them closer quicker and would apply a lot of pressure on back field units. Also lots of storm sheilds 3++ is gold. I would take whirlwinds so they can provide supporting fire as the doggies advance.
http://Www.the-newzealand-wordbearer.blogspot.co.nz
My Horus Heresy blog.

We are all minions of the dark gods, one part in their great game

Offline amras_falassion

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 01:28:31 AM »
I think there is. But generally they get shot badly (weather one turn of shoting) before getting into combat. And even with Stormshields, it's not guaranteed if the weight of fire is significant.

However that is still a viable tactic provided there are other threats on the table.

Offline Meros

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Horus Heresy blog
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 04:11:11 AM »
Really you want the thunder wolves to be there to be a threat while other things are advancing and being a threat, forcing -I assume you- to pick you're target and over load you with targets so if one unit is removed there are 2+ that will do heavy damage next turn. IE 2 units of outflanking wolves, predators firing? Whirlwinds firing barrages and long fangs doing damage while the whole time min sized blood claws/grey hunters are capping points.

Kill the point scorers the damage units will rip the eldar a new one, kill the damage units hopefully they will soak up a lot of firepower and the scoring units will be left mostly alone.
My Horus Heresy blog.

Offline neophytes

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 10:48:31 AM »
Bring 3 droppods. 2 Come on first turn, and have some Nice tacticals/assaultmarines or sternguard or a dreadnought right in the face on your opponent. Then they have to engage them and not just the thunderwolfs. And yes i'm not a Wolf planer. Just greyknights and blood angels. 

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 03:32:58 PM »
Dirty Harry hit the nail on the head for the perfect solution.  White Scar Librarius Conclave Formation.  Gives the pack Hit and Run, grab a Relic or two to provide some other buffs, like Hunter's Eye to give the unit Ignores Cover and keep some Bolters on.  Give a Wolf Lord the Helfrost Bolter Relic.  And if you really want to make the Thunderdome list, add in a Blood Angel Sanguinary Priest on a Bike to give the unit FNP.  So you now have an Invisible T5 unit with 3+/3++/5+++ Ignores Cover, moves at 12" that can't be locked in combat and so much friggin AP2 and Rending that everything will crumble.  Other buffs are available as well that can be pulled from the other codecies.  It all depends how cheesy you want to go.  But some White Scar bikes are the first step to Thunderdome.

Offline Meros

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Horus Heresy blog
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 04:39:51 PM »
And give a Libby the shield eternal so at least one character has eternal warrior (could roll it from biomancy). Do imperial guard orders effect the unit or just guard models? (rough rider imp guard HQ with orders)

Never mind they don't.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 04:43:50 PM by Meros »
My Horus Heresy blog.