Author Topic: A buddy of mine wants to start Tau  (Read 1858 times)

Online Leftovers44

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
A buddy of mine wants to start Tau
« on: August 24, 2015, 08:57:58 AM »
Hello Tau players of the forum,

One of my friends messages me one day on facebook and he is interested in 40k he has a tiny bit of tau models and wants to learn how to play. I don't really know much about Tau to help him out in army specific stuff besides saying Riptides are pretty good right now.

All he really has right now for Tau is a  One commander, 12 pathfinders, a piranha, and 3 xv8 guys, plus 15ish drones. Now I was kind of hoping you guys can come up with a few lists between 500-100 points allowing for some proxy room but not everything can be proxied easily. I don't have any monsterous creature bases or vehicles that could be used as hammerheads. If I am lucky maybe one of the few Tau players we have at the club will be there to help him out with his army way better than I can and have some models he can borrow.

If you could also give me a bit more tips on Tau, mostly play style, what models are good which aren't, and information on upgrades for the models he has currently  that are worth taking.

His first game is most likely going to be against my Sisters of Battle, so I will most likely have a couple rhino like vehicles. Unless you think it would be better for the first test game if I brought a foot army kind of like how he has to be a bit more fare game. I don't want to accidentally just destroy him the first game and make him never want to really play anymore.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me and if you need any more info just let me know.

Offline Voidraven5829

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • My40klife
Re: A buddy of mine wants to start Tau
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 09:45:59 AM »
I don't know how to tau too much either, but i have played almost too many games against them, lol.
Here's my two cents:
The crisis suits can have drones with them so he can feel free to proxy them for whichever one he needs them to be
Seeker missiles are his friends, so the piranha could take a couple to make use of the marker lights.
If you didn't know, markerlights are what separates tau from other armies, they're a built-in tool box full of options
Idk what its called, but the oathfinders can also take some crazy gun that has gets hot that can do pretty okay against most things.
The main thing he'll need is fire warriors, they make up the bulk of his troop choices and have decent wargear on them.
Crusis suits are generally tooled out with a specific purpose, whether it be all the melta or flamers etc, try to get him to keep his suits uniform in that they should take all the same spec weapon, a lot of people forget that more of the same dakka goes a long way and it keeps him from having a suit ir two from sitting around not shooting for a turn.
Basically, he should just gunline the rire warriors, pathfinders and if he gets one, the hammerhead. And use the suits where they need to go.
If he wants a hammerhead, tell him ti get one AND a devilfish. As they run in the same chassis, he can build the skyray turret and throw it in the devilfish and voila, he has two heavy support slots filled and he can use the markerlights to have the skyray alpha stike with a ton of missiles.
As for you: don't worry about crushing him in his first game, something i was told when i started was to not expect to win until after my 12th game. He needs to learn his codex in and out, on and off the table and what everything is capable of. Don't go full throttle on him, but make a list that has definite strength to it to show him how to use his points to their potential. Help him iut if he has questions, and introduce him to 1d4chan.com, they have general tactics on every unit in the codex and provide a list of thei unit's strengths and weaknesses.
Other than that, just remind him that its a game and that he needn't get down on himself for losing a few times when he starts out.
Have fun, hope this helps,
  • Iron Warriors, Orks, Fallen, Dark Eldar
Iron Within, Iron Without!

Check out my blog!
http://my40klife.blogspot.com

I build stuff too!
www.Facebook.com/MrJ5829

Online Leftovers44

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 02:12:34 PM »
Thanks a lot Voidraven for the help, but I still would like a 500-1000 point list for Tau because I am not so sure on being able to actually make a list for him and don't want to miss giving his commander an upgrade he should have or something.

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 03:03:54 PM »
Commanders are pretty forgiving.  The only 'must have' is an Iridium suit.  In addition to that, just decide if you want to go with a 'hands on' commander or the Buffmander.  Hands on, you just add items for that role.  Maybe Stimulant Injectors, maybe a fancy weapon, if you have a bunch of Drones then add a Drone Controller.  Weapons that suit the role.  I've seen some good results of a Fusion Blaster on the Commander, a couple drones for ablative wounds and a few Bodyguard with two Fusion Blasters each.  Keep them off the table Turn 1 and Deep Strike at the most tactical time.

The Buffmander has no guns, but has the systems for 'if he doesn't shoot, his squad gets Ignores Cover' and 'if he doesn't shoot, his squad gets twin linked', Stimulant Injectors and an Iridium suit.  4+ drones, three XV8s with two Plasma Guns each and that squad friggin wrecks everything.  Pretty hard to kill since the drones take up the S8+ shots, the Buffmander takes anything AP3 and the XV8s just blast with S6 AP2 Ignores Cover, Twin Linked weapons.

At the minute, he doesn't need Pathfinders.  There's nothing there that will REALLY benefit from Markerlights.  Proxy the Pathfinders as Fire Warriors as best you can until he can get other models, but you're pretty much stuck.  There's no Troops here.  Not enough for a CAD worth anything.  Fire Warriors need more than 6 bodies per squad.  I'm going to check a list and see if there's something I can do and I'll post it here in a few.

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 03:19:24 PM »
+++ New Roster (498pts) +++

++ Tau Empire: Codex (2013) (Combined Arms Detachment) (498pts) ++

+ HQ (184pts) +

Commander (184pts) [Command and Control Node, Crisis Battlesuit, Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite, Stimulant Injector, XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit]
····2x Gun Drone [2x Twin-linked Pulse Carbine]

+ Elites (128pts) +

XV8 Crisis Team (128pts)
····Crisis Shas'ui [Crisis Battlesuit, 2x Plasma Rifle]
····Crisis Shas'ui [Crisis Battlesuit, 2x Plasma Rifle]
····2x Gun Drone [2x Twin-linked Pulse Carbine]

+ Troops (131pts) +

Fire Warrior Team (90pts) [10x Fire Warrior Shas'la with Pulse Rifle, Photon Grenades]

Gue'vesa Auxiliary Team [FW: Taros Battle] (41pts)
····10x Gue'vesa'la [10x Close combat weapon, 10x Flak Armour, 10x Lasgun]

+ Fast Attack (55pts) +

Piranhas (55pts)
····Piranha [Fusion Blaster, Sensor Spines, Two Gun Drones]

Created with BattleScribe (http://www.battlescribe.net)

Proxy the Pathfinders as Fire Warriors and get ten Guardsmen.  Guardsmen are Ld 7 but everything else looks normal.  IoM armies get Preferred Enemy against the squad.  But that's 500pts using MOST of what he has available.  Fire Warriors, another Piranha and one or two XV88s with High Yield Missile Pods and Smart Missile Systems are the first priority to buy.  After that, the Pathfinders can be Pathfinders again in two squads of six, maybe grab some Tetras from Forge World and of course a Riptide.  Right now it's very light on anti armor, but that can't be helped.  The Plasma will be more effective than a couple Fusion Blasters.

Offline merlinzbeard

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 02:04:41 PM »
Commander: XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit; target lock; missile pod; missile pod; drone controller 153

6 Fire Warriors: Fire Warrior Shas'ui 64

3 Farsight Enclaves XV8 Crisis Team: Bonding Knife Ritual;
 Crisis Shas'ui (plasma rifle; plasma rifle; target lock; gun drone; gun drone);
 Crisis Shas'ui (plasma rifle; plasma rifle; target lock; gun drone; gun drone) 246

1 Piranha: fusion blaster 50
6 Pathfinders: Pathfinder Shas'ui 76

589 points

Use farsight enclaves. Proxy 6 pathfinders as firewariors. 

Offline Zggy91

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 11:33:48 PM »
I'm probably a bit late for this but here is my take. I'm in a 500 point league and this is my basic list

Commander (145 pts)
C+c node
Multi spectrum suite
Oranger gauntlet
Stim injectors
Flamer

Elites
Stealth suits (95 pts)
2 burst cannon
1 fusion blaster

Crisis team (141 pts)
3 burst cannon
3 fusion blaster

Troops
Fire warriors x6 (54 pts )

Heavy support
Xv88 (65 pts)
High yield missile pods
Smart missile system

My thoughts in this list, which works for me reasonably well, is that in 500 pts, Dakka is king. Commander is with crisis team giving the 12 burst cannon shots and 3 fusion blaster shots twin linked and ignores cover, stealth team is for objective grabbing and being sneaky little turds, xv88 has 8 twin linked shots and a 2+ armor save, and fire warriors are troops because the league requires one troop choice. I saw a lot of suggestions for plasma rifles and drones, but to me the drone stat line does not justify their price tag, and I freely admit that plasma rifles are great ap1 guns, there is not a whole lot of 2+ saves in 500 pts so doubling the shots for a slight hit to weapon strength and only ap5 seems like a decent trade off, and when you really need the ap1 there are 3 fusion blasters in the unit that can provide the instant death goodness you crave with the added bonus of being melta.the most controversial thing in my list would have to be the oranger gauntlet. I basically have it for when the --- hits the fan. No one expects a tau to one hit kill their commander in close combat, and that gambit has worked well enough that I've named my commander Ah-Li because he floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 11:35:53 PM by Zggy91 »