Author Topic: Chaos army log  (Read 15100 times)

Offline PvtShields

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Chaos army log
« on: September 30, 2015, 04:31:34 PM »
Hello all, welcome to my army log. Here Iíll be updating progress on painting and gaming.  Ill post pictures of my army as i slowly get it painted. Iíll also post battle reports and things I've learned or wish to try out. Feel free to give me advice on tactics and painting as Iím rusty in both and hoping this will help me grow both skills.

Just a quick background on my 40k history, I started playng back in 3rd edition.  Picking up the starter box of space marines and dark eldar with my father. He played the Space marines and i played the Dark Eldar. I quickly dropped the dark elves and went to something i felt was more my speed, chaos space marines. I played heavily threw 3rd, 4th, and 5th edition where I drifted away from the hobby. Every once and a while Iíd pick up the new rules or grab a box of figures but I didnít play the game until about 3 weeks ago and it has changed a lot.

Ill put up a couple pics Iíve taken, Iím using my phone as a camera and Iím no Austin Powers of photography so if they donít turn out let me know and Iíll try something new. I'll start with the troops, as they are the closest to being painted.

Offline PvtShields

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Chaos army log
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 04:37:10 PM »
Here's some more troop pics. 1 squad was painted first, and because I lost paint the other two squads are brighter. The 2 other squads i got started last week, unfortunately I've only gotten a wash on them so far this week. The rhinos were also painted last week. Still lots of work to do on all of them.

Offline PvtShields

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 04:49:01 PM »
The idea behind the paint scheme on the troops is that I want them to look good from far and in groups. I'm using them to try and get back into painting, so the mistakes I make can hopefully just be hidden in the numbers.

My goal is to use this to help me track my progress and hopefully keep me motivated on the army. I'm coming up with the fluff as I go. The next post I'll put a light recap of the small 800pt. tourney i played in last Sunday, in that I'll put what lessons i learned. To finish off ill put some pics of my forgefiend and converted warpsmith. Thanks for reading.

Offline PvtShields

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 06:02:30 PM »
Alright so i know i said i wouldn't post more but I lied. I'll be getting my hands on some more paint this weekend and some time with an airbrush so ill be trying to get some base colors done. With that said I thought I'd post some more pics of built figures before they start getting painted. Here is my 5 raptors and 15 terminators and sorcerer in terminator armor. The sorcerer has had gray based on him but this seems like an okay time to put him in.

The Terminators are set up into 3 squads. Two units with 4 combi meltas, 2 chainfists, and power axes. The remaining are 3 combi flamers, heavy flamer, and a pair of lightning claws.

Offline PvtShields

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 06:14:51 PM »
These pics might be a bit shoddy, if so let me know and ill retake them. They were done in my original set up and I think I got something better going. These are my havoc squads, I thought I'd try to do something cool with these guys.

One is equipped with 4 lascannons, the other with 4 missile launchers. Both are in rhinos with havoc launchers. Converted from razorbacks. I like the rhinos but think the guys need more chaos to them.

What I'll be trying this weekend is 2 squads of 5 chaos marines. Each will have 2 of the same heavy weapon, so 2 missile launchers, or two lascannons. They will sit in the rhinos hopefully being deploying in positions with good fields of fire. The havoc launchers will shoot at what ever infantry targets are available while the 2 heavy weapons will fire from the top hatch. They may have to move once or twice to gain better fields of fire at which point I'll take the snap fire or just shoot the bolters. If enemy drop troops land in my back fields I can concentrate fire from the two units to deal decent enough damage. If they take fire and die I'm not to worried, but they will require anti-armor attacks that will pull fire away from my forward moving force.

Offline PvtShields

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 06:24:03 PM »
The rest of the heavy weapons. Again I won't be painting much until the weekend. After that I'll probably try and get the havocs and their rhinos painted up to where the other chaos marines are at. From they i can start going in to do details.

I wanna make the havocs stand out a little bit from the rest of the basic line troops. A small variation in the scheme, not sure how yet though, if anyone has an ideas I'd be happy to hear. Sorry for the multiple posts, just had a bunch to get out.

Offline PvtShields

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 12:23:56 PM »
Hey everyone, I got a free day today thought I'd see what I could get done. Decided to take a break and post some pics up. I did all the extra pouches, horns and skulls on the 20 marines I'm working on. As they are all pretty the same i just grabbed 2 random ones and a champion to show.

I'll be cleaning up all the black areas, as well as trying to bring the first the first squads green up to the same brightness as the others. Probably do some work on the rhinos while I'm at it. I'm thinking of changing the plasma glows to orange, as well and doing the eye lenses orange, not sure yet.

Offline Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 03:32:28 PM »
Good stuff!

Love the terminators and looks like quite a good collection of CSM.
Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Look on my works ye mighty, and despair...

Offline PvtShields

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 07:38:00 PM »
Thank you for the comment, yeah I love termies so I'm kinda waiting to do them until i think i can do them justice, or have nothing else to paint.

So I decided to go with classic red lenses, it is what it is I guess. I did all 30 marines but I'll just show a couple, mainly the same champion I've been showing, as he seems like a good example with pieces from everything I've been painting. I also tried to make the skulls a lighter color then the horns going through them. Kinda happy with how it came out. If i can get the right lighting or that I wanna get a group shot of what I have so far.

Also I still have no idea what color to paint the weapons, I'll be leaving them until i think of something, and I'm happy to hear suggestions. Was maybe thinking the black and yellow stripes. Anyways that's it for now, thanks for reading.

Offline PvtShields

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 09:03:09 PM »
So because this is also a gaming log I wanted to put in battle reports to show me learning as i play. Something to reflect back on later on i guess. Now this got alot longer then i thought, and there are no pictures this time. So Iím sorry.
Alright so I wanted to highlight the mini tournament I played in last weekend. Its a monthly thing, held on the last Sunday of every month.  As it was my first I assume that every one is small forces. It was 800pts and had a moving objective theme.  My list was as follows;
Warpsmith
6 Chaos Space Marines
meltagun
Rhino

6 Chaos Space Marines
meltagun
Rhino

6 Chaos Space Marines
meltagun
Rhino

Hellbrute
Reaper Auto-cannon
Missile Launcher

Forgefiend

Game 1
It was against Tau, not a super serious list, 2 kroot squads with some hounds, 2 crisis suit units with flamers, 1 solo crisis with dual flamer, a riptide, and a HQ crisis suite with tau twin melta equivalent. The mission was cool, each player placed 1 objective in their deployment, and another in no mans land. At the end of every game turn the objectives you placed would move 6Ē towards the enemy deployment.

I spent the first 3 turns firing mostly everything at the riptide until it died, my warpsmith and a squad went for my objectives, I actually got him in melee with the tau leader, but only got 1 wound on him before he ran. I unfortunately forgot I had soul blaze warlord trait, not sure if it would have helped much. Not a lot happened really, i lost 2 rhinos and 6 guys.  I lost after after I lost focus on holding objectives and went for kills.

I learned that keeping objectives in mind is usually best. I saw blood and went for more. I also need to remember things more, I forgot to assault one turn which would have put the riptide 1 turn sooner. My opponent probably would have let me go back and do it, but I feel I need to learn the hard way. I also learned that if a rhino is completely surrounded by kroot, crisis suits and a riptide the men inside probably wont make it home for Christmas.  Lesson learned, we can pull it together in the next game.

Game 2

My opponent was a Blood Angels player I actually played the week before so we were kinda chummy. His list as best as I can recall;

Leader with powersword  jump pack

5 man tac squad with some kind of grav weapon

10 man tact squad with melta and missile launcher in drop pod

Dreadnaught with melta in drop pod

5-7 Assault squad with some guns, leader had a shield and powerfist

We each got to place and objective and at the beginning of our turn we would score 2 points for holding 1, then it would scatter 3d6Ē. I placed my in the middle right up front of my deployment, he placed his in HIS back left. If the objective hits a board edge it travels to the opposite edge and continues moving. So if it went off my edge,i t would come on his.
Turn 1
 I give him first turn, so I can react to his drop pods. His objectives almost scatter off the board but falls short by 1Ē, sadly we were only rolling 2d6 at this point because we didn't know it was 3 until next turn. His dread comes down first, out front to the left of my forces which are blocked together. His assault guys move forward towards a building in the middle of the map. Not much from shooting and on to my turn. My objective scatters towards the middle building i follow it, and fire some melta's at the dread and my forgefiend at hs assault marines. Maybe 1 marine drops and i get a glance on the dread.

Turn 2
 His objective doesn't scatter, lucky him. He drops 10 man tact squad down and they land on my objective, so now i wont score points. His leader and assault marines make t into the middle building. His shooting does very little, 1 rhino gets immobilized. My turn my objective scatters to the right of the middle building, now more towards his table side and his other objective.  This is when we find out about the 3d6, and we donít move his objective another d6 which later proves crappy for me. I chase the objective with 1 rhino, tank shocking his drop pod unit on the way. They fail LD. And run back into the building.  I don't move my warpsmiths rhino, instead he gets out by himself and moves to the immobilized rhino. I did this because I didn't want to move the squad in a weird way so they could still see the assault squad in the building. I could have done it but because Iím newer to the game i avoided it. Leaving my warlord open. I donít like doing questionable moves, whether they are legal or not, to avoid coming off as a cheater due to my lack of rules. Shooting sees the dread die, warpsmith repairs the hull point and the rhino does nothing to get moving, my next mistake. I kill a couple of his drop unit guys forcing them to fall back, now back on my objective, crap.

Turn 3
 His objective doesn't scatter, he moves his  drop unit over to fully cover the objective and be in the full front arc of my rhino. He does a questionable 12Ē jump with his assault squad leaving them behind my warpsmith. There is about 3 left, HQ, sgt, and some guy. Shooting sees my rhino on the objective get wrecked leaving the 6 guys outside and pissed. Assault sees 1 loyalist die due to flamer snap fire. Then the warpsmith is beaten down in return.  My turn I dont score and the objective doesn't scatter. I decide with the lead he has i must table him, but the game ends turn 5 no matter what. I pile out of the two rhinos and get read to avenge my warlord. I move the 6 man quad around my wrecked rhino to get a better view of his drop squad. Dread and forgefiend just jimmy around. I blow 1 rhino, and kill a couple drop marines. I opt to rapid fire bolter at his assault marines instead of pistols and assaulting. I kill the sgt. Leaving his leader pretty much ready to kick my ass. The rhino doesnít repair itself. The other 6 man squad does shoot pistols and plans to assault, hoping to knock him off the objective. None of this works and and my unit gets wiped out in the attempt.

Turn 4
 His rear objective doesn't scatter, and now because he has my objective he rolls for it, and it scatters further towards his back corner. His drop squad now down to about 3-4 guys runs back towards the objective and away from the coming doom. His Hq jumps to the right of my 2 units preparing to assault those poor bastards. Some minor shooting sees 1 chaos marine fall. He assault my chaos squad, i fire my meltagun, 6, and 3. He rolls a 2 and I kill his warlord. Promotion. My turn sees me tank shock his drop pod with my 1 remaining mobile rhino. Nothing. I move everything else forward, i get my forgefiend around around the middle building and insight of the drop squad. Shooting sees the drop pod and and drop squad, leaving only his back field 5 man tact squad to kill.

Turn 5
He gets to like 15 objectives of something crazy, i don't even care. He doesnít do much, or anything. My turn i move what i can forward and with combined fire i bring them down to 3 marines, 3Ē from the board edge and they pass their moral. He wins.

Game 3 was against eldar. I wont really go into much detail, he was an extremely new player. His first words to me he questioned my list and if it was legal. I offered to show him my army list, and if i am over 800 pts I will feel pretty bad now. He would move 1 unit then fire 3 units, then go to moving guys again, with some psychic. It was ridiculous. I tried to be a good sport, letting pretty much everything go, even his units moving all over the board all through out his turn. I drew the line when i fired at his dire avengers he decided not to go to ground, after rolling his cover saves, he realized 1 would survive and said he changed his mind and went to ground. I won, but i didnít enjoy it as much as my other two games where i lost.

Alright so this was alot longer then i thought, Iím sorry my typos and grammar are probably pretty bad at this point but Iím lazy, sorry. I love how my forgefiend did, it actually hit 50% of all its attacks every time it fired. Scoring 3-4 wound of glances/pens each time aswell. I used my rhinos as mobile pill boxes all games to avoid incoming small arms fire and psychic powers. Although a safe route it cost me the game where the extra fire power probably could have helped me inflict more damage. I could have been more aggressive, i was worried about my rinos surviving to much, i should use them as a shell to deliver my troops.  With the tau i used them to avoid all the flamer attacks because he had so much, and the eldar player wasnt able to cast anything but shrouding, which he didnt do properly anyways. The dread didnt do anything crazy, he added some shots here and there.

Future battle reports will have pictures, I didnít want to slow my games down anymore then i already would with be a newbie. So this Sunday i should have 1-2 reports with pics where ill explain what i did and why, and why i wont do it again. I will be modeling a Blood Angels trophy on the special weapons marine who snap fire the enemy warlord down. And some damage on the rhinos that were wrecked and exploded. I also wanna try and find something Tau like to put on the forgefiend for killing the riptide. I think itíll be kinda cool to develop a story for my army that way.  Anyways if you read all that, wow, thanks and I hope you enjoyed it.

Offline PvtShields

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 01:35:32 PM »
Hey just a quick update, did some work on the rhinos. Metal stuff, the tracks and the lights mainly. I tried to get a pic of each of the squads and a groupie pic.

Tomorrow im picking up more paint, and a new brush or two, the ones I'm using are pretty bad. I'll also be getting some time with an airbrush, so hopefully i can get the rest of the pare plastic stuff primed and either the gray or green sprayed up. I'll then be playing a flames of war game so won't get much done. I'll post up a couple list tomorrow as well, for Sundays games. I might post them in a different topic so i get a better chance of replies lol. Any who, here's some pics. Thanks for reading.

Offline Dihunter2

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 08:23:22 PM »
So i just read through your post, the first question that i have... What do your Chaos marines celebrate christmas? Anyways the army is coming along very nicely. I enjoyed the tournament report. It seems like you need to focus more on remembering all of the mechanics for the game.... (missing the assault, more aggressive on objectives)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef_V6.pdf

That is a great cheat sheet that i use to help keep track and log my games, I've noticed it has helped me. I have just started a chaos space marine army. I took all the extra Dark angels from my box and started adding chaos bits... So it is like my Dark Angel recruits converted over!! (who could of guessed) My new army is still completely grey and in the works of being converted. Once i am ready to start painting my army they will look very close to how yours are coming out. I will be sure to put some pictures up. Anyways keep up the great work!!

Offline PvtShields

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 08:50:38 PM »
Hey, thanks for the reply. Nail on the head, i need to remain focused. I think a lot of it has to do with me being rusty with the rules. This weekend I'm going to try and play extremely aggressively, even if it costs me guys. Just to get my mind set out of being worried about losing guys.

I like that cheat sheet, I might use it myself until i get in the routine of remembering things on my own. Sounds like you got a sweet start to a chaos army, would love to see some figures at some point. I'm currently stuck on what color to paint the guns, I was thinking black with gray and silver highlights but I feel it will add to much darkness to already dark models.

Thanks again for the comments, helps keep me motivated.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 09:24:11 PM »
I'd recommend a bone color for the bolt guns. Adds enough of a brighter tone without going outside of the palate you're using.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline PvtShields

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 10:11:39 PM »
I really like that idea, i just did one up to try it out. I tried to make it look different then the horns and stuff, i put a guy with horns in to try and show. I feel like it kinda came out like flesh colored. Hopefully these pics aren't to bad. Thanks for the advice, wracking my brain over that one color choice for days now.