Author Topic: Best boxes to give your army that Templar feel  (Read 2674 times)

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Lakey Wargames Youtube Page
Best boxes to give your army that Templar feel
« on: October 20, 2015, 07:31:00 AM »
Hey guys just posting to see which of the space marines boxes you guys use to make your marines look more like templars.

Of course the best option to us is to buy a tactical marine box and a chapter upgrade kit but coming in at £45/$69.64 for 10 crusaders and only 6 normal CC/Pistol arms is quite alot.
I was just wondering what other things you guys use to make your army look more like bad ass templars rather than marines painted like templars. :P

So what do you use to make your templar army look like a real templar army? :)
Please checkout Lakey Wargames over on Youtube for all kinds of tutorials, discussions, lets builds and more! :)

Lakey Wargames Youtube:
 https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgqSruhp2yl2gyqhiTuSrEA

Offline Meros

• Brother Captain
  • Part dæmon and proud of it.
    • View Profile
    • My Horus Heresy blog
Re: Best boxes to give your army that Templar feel
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 01:56:48 PM »
Forge world has despoiler squads which have all chain swords/bolt pistols and you could use dark angel veteran upgrade kits for the robes. Also FW has Templar Breathern which look awesome but they have power swords. Also you could ask a friendly chaos marine player for his chain swords and bolt pistols.
http://Www.the-newzealand-wordbearer.blogspot.co.nz
My Horus Heresy blog.

We are all minions of the dark gods, one part in their great game

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 05:11:21 PM »
I actually bought like, 3 or 4 boxes of the templar upgrade kits, and then went bits hunting on websites and hit up the local mercenary markets. Most of my space Marines I bought second hand to help ease the cost of building the army. Also I recommend looking at scibor miniatures for their templar bits. Found some fantastic storm shields and iconography.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 05:13:49 PM by Dirty Harry »
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 11:43:29 PM »
Cheers for the ideas guys! :)

I was thinking of buying a fair few upgrade kits (I have two atm to start me off) but as soon as I saw the shoulder pads and the CC weapons and pistols chained to the wrist I knew it was going to become expensive to have the army look how I wanted with all templar bits on every single marine.

FW has Templar Breathern which look awesome but they have power swords.
The Templar Breatheren set would make fantastic honour guard upgrade with all those swords and awesome looking helmets. It's a shame that half of the box is imperial fists themed though. (I know we are the successor chapter but I like the independent feel ;) )

I'll have to check out a few more bits websites and my locals I suppose. The one I regularly used for my Orks is out of all the best bits from the chapter upgrade kit sadly. :( 
Please checkout Lakey Wargames over on Youtube for all kinds of tutorials, discussions, lets builds and more! :)

Lakey Wargames Youtube:

Offline Meros

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Horus Heresy blog
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 01:17:38 AM »
If you want the chained style I recommend guitar wire, just attach it to the weapon and wind. (Also filthy heretic, using world eater customs ;D )
My Horus Heresy blog.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 05:04:38 PM »
World eaters don't even do it any more. Kharn is the only model of the khorne space Marines that still has chains fixed onto his weapons. I THINK you can find a small enough chain online if you wanted a lot of chained up weapons.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Meros

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Horus Heresy blog
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 09:04:56 PM »
Chain is annoyingly expensive. Could use jewelry chain.

Also world eater did do it but then they went khorne and were so busy MAIMING AND BURNING AND RIP AND TEARING that they couldn't be bothered chaining everything. Sigusmund started it I think
My Horus Heresy blog.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 11:29:52 PM »
Yes, First Captain Sigismund and First Captain Kharn were actually close knit like proverbial peanut butter and jelly before the horus heresy. Sigismund began chaining his weapon to himself after fighting with Kharn in the gladiator pits. After becoming master of his own chapter of space marines, all the guys under him started copying him. Eventully when I go back to my Templars I wanna add some crazy bits like chains and stuff.

Offline Meros

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Horus Heresy blog
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 01:14:54 AM »
"I will regret killing them most"

Would be very cool to see a full Templar army all chained weapons, with power armour it could even be barbed wire to add an additional weapon
My Horus Heresy blog.

Offline Izzycat218

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 08:04:47 AM »
That's because Black Templars are loyalists World Eaters. Most of the primarchs were convinced that Sigismund was with the wrong legion.

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 04:27:59 PM »
I remember reading up about the templars chaining their weapons to themselves as a symbolic gesture showing their utter devotion to war I.E Their weapons are chained to them, not to be removed until the crusade/fight is over and thus also making them and their weapon one and even in death won't lay their arms down. That and it looks pretty dam bad ass ;)

Sigismund began chaining his weapon to himself after fighting with Kharn in the gladiator pits. After becoming master of his own chapter of space marines, all the guys under him started copying him.

I do love the sound of this being used within the gladiator pits I'm guessing as a way to not loose your weapon in battle in the pits? I can see the practical solution in that aha. I should really get my head down and read more into the Templar fluff and about Sigismund himself. Would only cause so much more inspiration which is never a bad thing!  ;D

Lakey Wargames Youtube:

Offline Dirty Harry

• Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 09:28:25 PM »
Yeah, there's a Templar audio drama with a focus on Sigismunf that I've been wanting to listen to for a while now. Every time I have the money for it I can never find it.

Offline Meros

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Horus Heresy blog
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 12:34:44 AM »
Pretty sure he meets a samurai. http://www.blacklibrary.com/audio/templar-mp3.html

Called Templar (coincidence I think not haha.)

Sigismund is beast in Horus Heresy games.
My Horus Heresy blog.

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 09:44:18 AM »
Pretty sure he meets a samurai. http://www.blacklibrary.com/audio/templar-mp3.html

Pretty cool how the extract from the audio has an explanation of him wrapping the chain around him and his sword. ^^

Do you get much cools bit from the space marine command squad anymore? Or would I be better to think buying a vanguard box and mixing it with a chapter upgrade kit would make some cool looking sword borthers/honour guard?

Lakey Wargames Youtube:

Offline Dirty Harry

• Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 07:23:21 PM »
Depends on how you want to run your command. I'd personally go get the resin sword brethren kit and make em all have power weapons, make the lightning claw guy my sergeant, and give 3 other guys stormshields and power weapons. Then just swap one guy's pistol with a narthecium and give him an apothecary backpack.