Author Topic: Grey Knights, assassins, and Inquisition  (Read 2244 times)

Offline SailorCSN

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Grey Knights, assassins, and Inquisition
« on: October 25, 2015, 09:36:09 PM »
Brotherhood Champion 150pts

Inquisitor, null rod, 3 servo skulls 59 pts

2x Strike Squads, 4 halberds 1 psycannon 296pts
2x Razorbacks Tl Las cannon 150pts

Terminator squad, 5 halberds, 175prs
Land Raider, 250 pts
Vindicare assassin, 150

Clexus assassin 140

2x Dread knights, personal teleporter, sword, psycannon 410pts
So many books, so many Burning questions.

Offline SailorCSN

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Grey Knights, assassins, and Inquisition
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 03:02:48 PM »
L

Offline SailorCSN

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 03:35:49 PM »
L

Offline Meros

• Brother Captain
  • Part dæmon and proud of it.
    • View Profile
    • My Horus Heresy blog
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 04:07:08 PM »
Why the culexus? It would reduce your psychic potential which you need to leverage as an elite army.

Also I would consider replacing the brother champion for a Libby (better choice in my mind, psychic potential is amazing and the champ only has ap3 (smash reduces to one attack)

Also do you need 3 servo skulls with only one unit deep striking? And again why the null rod? Your preventing grey Knights from doing what grey Knights do & making them expensive assualt marines.

I'd drop the inquisition, the assassin, make the champ a Libby and give the dreads incinerators
http://Www.the-newzealand-wordbearer.blogspot.co.nz
My Horus Heresy blog.

We are all minions of the dark gods, one part in their great game

Offline SailorCSN

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 07:15:20 PM »
I like to play the clexus to reduce LD and tank shock. Sometimes she rides in the LR. Most of the army can deep strike so I keep the skulls to help lock down the deployment zone for my enemy and reduce the psycannon scatter. I can stand off and shoot or play very aggressively. It depends on the army I'm facing

Offline SailorCSN

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 07:16:36 PM »
I really like the champion model. And it's something I wanted to try out on the table

Offline Meros

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Horus Heresy blog
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 02:15:27 PM »
So the razors are empty on the table? That would work I guess. Is the vidicare worth it? I'd get another cheap strike squad. Are you using the new culexus? I don't think that reduces LD (I could be wrong) again I'd drop the null rod.
My Horus Heresy blog.

Offline SailorCSN

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 03:22:24 PM »
The clexus is that siphon unit to pull stuff off and drop invisibility for the vindicate to make his shots. By the time I make it across the table she is usually dead. And the razorbacks have objective secured. All of the transports do. So I can sit back with them or move out depending on the army. I could go with a daemon blade on the inquisitor but he is there for the skulls and having a personal avatar on the table. I couldn't resist. A Libby is the best choice by far for an HQ and when I get a stormraven he is in. But I can tuck my warlord inside of a transport and hide out in a squad if need be. I should run the relic for the inquisitor too to gain scouts

Offline Meros

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Horus Heresy blog
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 05:46:42 PM »
If you put the culexus in the LR the aura is measured from the hull (pro tip)

I'd just be in favour of a lib going with the termies.

What's the reason behind the vindicare? I'd go strike squad personally (140pts is too much for -7 shots per game that all need to hit, to wound, failed invol (Sheild breaker ignores) in my opinion)
My Horus Heresy blog.

Offline SailorCSN

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 11:38:19 PM »
Infiltrate the vindicate deep behind enemy lines and try to get side and rear armor on vehicles from across the board. He is also not too shabby in the assault now and much more flexible. It is also a way to get a reroll against flyers and flying monsters with BS 8.And the most iimportant use is as an HQ hunter. Chain the clexus debuff with our sniper friend and they help eachother. The reduced LD might also help pin units down as well.

Offline Celerior

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 01:38:24 AM »
Gawd, I'm so cynical. In an atmosphere where players build lists to win rather than purely to represent fluff on the table, your list won't do well. But if your opponents build like you do, it will be a fun list to play. Dreadknights are dramatically mobile. Assasins are super dramatic. Deep strike is cinematic. From a fluff perspective, your team is built to hunt down an inferior force with key characters, pin them down by destroying their transports, decimate their officer and psyker ranks with assasins, cut off avenues of retreat with the dreadknights, and move in for the kill with the strike and terminator squads.

But you don't generally face inferior forces in 40K.

In today's MSU environment, this list can't compete. It's pretty, but not powerful.

I wouldn't want to face the battle company build with this list (how long would it take you to kill just the 10 rhinos if you didn't lose a single enemy?). Imperial knights? Oy. At least I can say that the dreadknights and their instant death weapons have a chance against wraithknights, if they strike first. What I'd really worry about is Orks. Orkses don't care if you have lascannons. Orkses don't care if they have to snap fire. Orkses don't care if you have power weapons or force weapons or instant death.

Guardsmen don't much care, either. Admittedly my army list (the 1850 marine/guard list on this forum) isn't very generic and is meant to be a tournament list, but your list doesn't worry me. You don't have enough firepower or units. I can practically dedicate two of my units for each one of yours. How many conscripts could you kill a turn, if I make your dreadknights my first priority?

Offline Meros

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Horus Heresy blog
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 01:20:39 PM »
Chain the clexus debuff with our sniper friend and they help eachother. The reduced LD might also help pin units down as well.

Sniper doesn't pin anymore btw

I have to agree with Celerior, it's fluffy but it will die really fast to a good opponent. Eldar dscythes, warp-spiders, fire dragons will all shred the dreadknights, all dark Eldar poison too. Dscythes and fire dragons will vape the LR.  Eldar blade storm will shred your armour.  tau marker lights + cadre/ethereal will just hit with too much fire power, the new breachers will ap3 you. Grav spam will eat you alive (especially dreadknights). These are just from the top of my head.

There just too many really expensive single model units in this list that have no real purpose/benefit.

Null rods and culexus detract from what makes grey Knights anything beyond really expensive assault marines. The land raider is too expensive and doesn't really do anything that helpful and in this edition there's just so much anti tank/power creep that it will die before it does anything significant (it takes 2-4 turns to even get to the enemy).

The vindicare just doesn't seem to do enough. 5-7 shots if he shoots every turn that still need to hit, then to wound (4+ normally) then not get ignored by invol (shield breaker skips this) and then there's often FNP or Reanimation or the phoniex jem, that assuming that the warlord isn't in a transport.

This list just doesn't hit hard enough, the dreads need another gun, the landraider doesn't fit, the assassins don't really help you and marines need to hit hard or die if they don't have hundreds of metal boxes at this stage of the game, grey Knights more so.

Sorry for being so brutal but for my lists everything needs to be efficient and effective Grey Knights especially so this is just autopilot analysis for me. (Im more of a collector/painter/list builder for 40k, but when I play games I play hard ball)
My Horus Heresy blog.

Offline SailorCSN

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 03:12:18 PM »
I'm loving the feedback guys. And more importantly is would you play a game against this army if the mission parameters broke traditional 40k?

Offline Celerior

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 05:51:44 PM »
Depending on my mood, I might. What sort of interesting wrinkles do you have in mind? Since your list feels like a headhunting expedition, it might be interesting to play a game where you win instantly if you kill my demonically possessed warlord or whatever. Meanwhile, trying to escape your ambush, I want my warlord (who must start on the field) to score linebreaker after 5-7 turns. If neither of those happen, tie game.

Offline SailorCSN

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 06:57:56 PM »
Headhunting with the old rules for daemons to reenter play after they are destroyed. Knights vs the endless horde of chaos.