Author Topic: Cheaper way for imperial guard squads.  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Hawkeye299

• The Hawkboss
  • Global Moderator
  • Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Cheaper way for imperial guard squads.
« on: August 09, 2013, 04:29:59 PM »
Hi

I just wanted to share a way that I have fond to save a little cash on your imperial guard squads.

firstly you will need one of the 10 man cadian box sets, and then to purchase 2 of the "starter" 5 man boxes from GW these are 6 for 5 guys but do not have any options and are snap fit,but the 10 man box comes with 2 of each option (sgt, flamer, g launcher vox caster etc) if you build 2 sgts from the 10 man box as well as 2 special weapons then you can save about 6 for every 20 guys so instead of paying 36 it will cost 30. you could further make this cheaper by purchasing from on line retailers and might be able yo get it to around 25. For those of us on a tighter budget, this seems like a good solution.

Just a way I found to help make people starting imperial guard a little bit cheaper.

Attached are a picture of the 10 man sprue and the 5 man box.

Hawkeye

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
Re: Cheaper way for imperial guard squads.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 06:22:16 AM »
I like this idea a lot. Could even use second hand space marine weapon sprues to get special weapon squads for guard.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Sadclown

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 02:52:33 AM »
A cheaper option would be Greatcoat stormtroopers from War Games Factory's alien suns line.  For $20 you get 18 models with options for 6 sgt, 6 flamers, 6 grenade launchers, and 18 pieces of different rifle options.  i am using these models for inquisitorial henchmen. 

They also have a heavy weapons box, but i haven't purchased that so I dont know what's in it.

Offline mattblowers

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Gaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 07:59:44 AM »
Great idea.  For most of my IG troop mass, I bought them locally from players jumping off the bandwagon.  I bought about 200 from a bloke who was too grown up to play anymore.  Got them for about $50.  Sure they had to stripped and reprimed, but what a savings.
Famous last words: "All I have to do is not roll ones...."

Check out my painting blog at http://lilliputianwars.blogspot.com/