Author Topic: magnetizing my devastators  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Battle-brother Dakrim

• Initiate
    • View Profile
magnetizing my devastators
« on: November 29, 2015, 01:52:40 AM »
Very simply, i need ideas on HOW to magnetize because frankly i have NO idea. youtube searches are meh because everyone does it so diffrently. i'm on a tight budget and just need a little advice step-by-step. Anyone here fancy themselves a pro at magnetizing?

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
  • I have a strong interest in Voodoo.
    • View Profile
Re: magnetizing my devastators
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 04:32:52 PM »
Can you supply some pics of the models and their bits? Just so I know what you're working with.

I am unfamiliar with SM bits, but I'm pretty good with magnets.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 12:14:06 AM »
In order to magnetize devastators you have to magnetize arms as well as the different back packs. If you don't have a rotary tool like a dremel, invest into a hobby knife or a pin vise  with a chuck that can hold a 3/16 drill bit. It's the entry investment into magnetizing but 3/16 is the standard sized magnets used in infantry as well as small weapon mounts on vehicles. Now when going about the process you could take the easy way out, but the more financially practical way would be to utilize a metal seat for each magnet to stick on. Only thing off the top of my head right now would be something like a 3/16 machine screw. screws are a lot cheaper per package than magnets but it'll take a bit of out of the box thinking to make em work the way you want.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Acolon

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 08:45:51 AM »
Hi on the topic of working with Devastators i saw an 4x grav cannons from the new devastators on ebay it comes with the arms and the backpacks (and the guns :D). Im really new on 40k and I wish to know can I use the body of normal tactical squads and just glue the weapons and arms and make then devastators? It is so mutch cheap to buy a bunch of tacticas on ebay then to get a new devastator box and I wold have to buy 2 boxes to get the 4 grav cannons. Image of the bits bellow.