Author Topic: seen this guys, gw-moving-into-toymodel-stores  (Read 3011 times)

Offline mercedes 308

• Initiate
    • View Profile
seen this guys, gw-moving-into-toymodel-stores
« on: January 27, 2016, 04:26:28 PM »
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 04:36:12 PM by mercedes 308 »

Offline SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: seen this guys, gw-moving-into-toymodel-stores
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 11:23:57 PM »
I'm not taken back by this.  GW has always been in toy hobby stores for as long as I can remember.  Right next to the model trains and the Gundam models is a 40k section.  Having this seems like a sound business decision, since not everywhere can or will stock Citadel stuff, this is a sneaky way to get it in the box and keep the purchase in the company.  They still sell the 'couple marines and a few paints' so expanding that range isn't bad.  And I'd buy the crap out of some of these sets myself.  Model and free paint according to the price guide?  Yes please.  Trukks and Land Speeders alone will be well worth it for the experienced players too.

But the skeptic in me sees a few oddities.  The Trukks are the old flatbed crap types and I was under the impression GW did away with that mould.  The Space Marine big box for $40 has a Dreadnought AND Terminators?  That's supposed to be nearly $100.  And the Ork box has a Deff Kopta??  People pay $30 for one, and now you're throwing in a Warboss, Boyz and a Deff Kopta?  Now, it might be JUST a toy thing so they don't care that they're sending less than full squads, but still.  It's tossing up some flags. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 11:29:01 PM by SharkoutofWata »

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 12:17:33 AM »
I suspect that these cut rate snap fit kits will have fixed poses and limited modeling options. Still a great gateway investment for newbies. Im eager to see if they cut cost by using a cheaper plastic. The free paint pots only sweeten the deal. I might be able to get one of my friends who likes orks but doesn't want to invest into the hobby to change his mind.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Hawkeye299

• The Hawkboss
  • Global Moderator
  • Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 08:26:40 AM »
Seems pretty coll overall, they are aimed at younger and new hobbyists so i think the snap fit is perfectly fine, Orks especially don't loose all that much on the boyz being snap fit, most of mine are. I am looking forward to the land speeder and ork "trukk" even if it is the old gorka morka style, it would still make a nice warbuggy, and costs a little less.

overall, nice to see, and more options to buy stuff is always good, especially if ebay gets flooded with cheap termies/dreads/other stuff.

Hawk  ;D

DeffBossGitKrusha

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 01:23:27 PM »
I don't know what it is about it but it makes me angry. I get what they're trying to do and it's not a bad idea. Just something about it .....
Really one of my first reaction was, "I need to sell all of my models now". That reaction also bothers me.
I think the possibility be being in a position where My collections and the hobby I enjoy could be AoS'ed, seemed very real. And it may still be so and I realize I've been into 40K for roughly 20 years now. If I only ever owned one army I don't think I'd be as bothered.
Hope that's not too far off topic. 

Offline weboflies

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Keepers of the Relics of Ultramar
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 01:59:59 AM »
If this gets sales up for GW and prevents them from doing something drastic like wrecking 40k the way it seems they did WFB, I'm all for it.

Offline Htedomsa

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 11:20:37 PM »
Actually as a converter I love this. This adds a lot of cheaper options for bits and eliminates the problem some people run into with other players wanting 'this or that much' of a conversion to be GW bitz. It could be a lot of fun and I totally agree great for help for newbs.

Offline AdHocGames

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
    • Ad Hoc Games
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 01:58:09 PM »
Anything that brings new blood into the hobby is a good thing. We need new players to keep the game going, so lower price points and greater availability is great.
www.adhocgames.myshopify.com
By Gamers, For Gamers