Author Topic: Embarked squads shooting from inside a Chimera!  (Read 1214 times)

Offline Johnboy

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Embarked squads shooting from inside a Chimera!
« on: August 12, 2013, 03:15:26 PM »
Up until now I and my regular opponents have agreed that the Chimera turret prevents the embarked squad from firing to the front of the Chimera ( although we still 'discuss' the validity of being able to shoot from the "ass end").
 Recent events and seeing a Batrep where meltaguns shooting to the front were very effective has caused me to question this!

Cannot find an answer in the rulebook or codex so am appealing to you, my fellow Guardsmen, to show me the way!  Have I been deliberately handicapping my Veteran squads up until now? :-\

Online DCannon4Life

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Embarked squads shooting from inside a Chimera!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 04:16:03 PM »
Chimera is the one with five fire points right? A very long time ago, in another edition, I think I remember seeing diagrams showing where the fire points were in a vehicle. In those days, For the Chimera I thought it was two to each side and one to the back. Now, however, I believe that all fire points simply 'exist' and allow the player to treat them as if they were all teeny-tiny turrets. Don't ask me how I feel about that, it's not positive or pretty.
First, you must learn Balance. --Miyagi

Offline Rick17126

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 01:30:35 AM »
Per WH40k BRB pg 78 range and LOS is measured from the firepoint, per the Chimera's entry in the current codex it has 5 fire points and all shots are measured from the top hatch (split hatch just behind the turret). Models in a unit may fire through models in the same unit without penalty and models firing template weapons out of a firing point don't hit the vehicle, ergo with the current rule set I don't see why you can't fire into the front arc (measured from the fire point).

In prior editions I'm pretty sure they fire could fire 6 lasgun shots (3 to each side arc) or 5 shots (2 to each side and one out the top to the rear)?

Offline Johnboy

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 10:47:27 AM »
Thanks for the replies and info. Clarified so that even a dunb@** like me can understand! Will be able to point to the appropriate rules now when a certain ork warboss starts whining!

Looking forward to using my Chimeras 'properly'!

Again, thank you guy's!