Author Topic: 1k Campaign Game - Help with list needed!  (Read 979 times)

Offline dpallante

• Initiate
    • View Profile
1k Campaign Game - Help with list needed!
« on: March 07, 2016, 04:47:42 PM »
For the next couple of months I'll be playing in my FLGS's campaign and most of the early battles are going to be 1000 pts.  Couple of campaign rules - No LoW (super-heavies or gargantuan), no Forgeworld (@ 1k, allowed in larger games), all Maelstrom Missions, no unbound.

I just got curb stomped twice in last the month.  I've been using Flyrant (only 1 TL Devourer + egrubs), Tervigon, 2xZoeys (separate units), Venom, 6 Genestealers, 3 Warriors (Deathspitters and BarbedStrangler), 10 Gargoyles, Carni with 1 TL Devourer.  First game I was up against Armored Taur list with 2 SkyRays.  I'm the least familiar with Tau and knew it would be a hard game.  Went first and lost my Hive Tyrant turn 1 and wheels came off from there.  Lost 7-15.  Game two was against Orks - Warboss w/ lucky stick, Doc, 30 boys with shootas, 10 grots, 2x5 Lootas, 5 tankbustas in a truck, 3x1 deffcoptas, 5 mek guns (S8 Ap2 blast gets hot variety).  Went second, and weathered the first turn jsut fine.  Turn 2 however, the Hive Tyrant caught a lucky shot and I failed my grounding check and got charged by the big mob. :(  Again, from there, the game spiraled out of control partly because of the Maelstrom cards.  Lost 8-22.  I know Tyranids struggle at low points, but I played a number of games last year and did ok - did things change that drastically in a year?

What do I need to bring to make a tougher list within these restrictions?

For 175 pts. you can take the Faithful (the unit of 16) and the Magos.  So this adds an ObSec unit with some anti-armor (not super reliable, but it's better than we have normally) and more importantly, the ability to use Telepathy powers.  Is this worth it at 1k?

I'm reluctant to take a couple of Mucolids because of the Maelstrom objectives, but I'm open to suggestions.  I was thinking about taking the following this month:

CAD - Tyranids
Flyrant (2xDev + egrubs)
Venom
Zoey
Ripperx3 w/ DS
Termagants x19
Gargoyles x12
Hive Crone
Mawloc

AD - GS Cult
Magos
The Faithful

Thoughts?  Any help is welcome as currently I feel like I'm letting my team down.  :(

Thanks!

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: 1k Campaign Game - Help with list needed!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 09:40:12 PM »
Actually, that list is pretty balanced.  I like it, but if you're facing some tough opponents you should be using two Flyrants.  The Crone, Gargoyles and Cult can all be dropped for Flyrant points if need be, but it's my personal opinion that this list would be more fun.  But, you've seen the weakness of one Flyrant.  A Crone will not make up the difference if your Flyrant dies.

Offline dpallante

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 09:23:39 AM »
Alternate list with 2 Flyrants:

2x Flyrants (2x TL devourer & egrubs)
venom
2x zoeys (separate units)
2x 16 Termagants
12 Gargoyles

Magus
Faithful (16)

2 FMC with 64 infantry and 10 psykic dice to start

Better or worse?

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 09:51:13 AM »
A lot worse.  The Mawloc and Rippers are major advantages in the list.  The Termagants are only there to screen some units or be a big blob on an Objective.  They won't help in the game, so you want less of them, not more.  Deep Strike Rippers though have the chanc of crossing the table from your army and snatching some much needed points.

Offline dpallante

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 12:50:12 PM »
I ended up going with the following list:

CAD - Tyranids
Flyrant (2xDev + egrubs)
Venom
Zoey
Ripperx3 w/ DS
Termagants x20
Warriors x3 w/ Deathspitters & Barbstrangler
Gargoyles x10
Hive Crone
Mawloc
Sporocyst

It was pretty fun.  I liked the list quite a bit and it ended up being a very close game, but I did lose 8-10.  It was the 3 concealed cards Maelstrom game and both of us didn't get very good cards.  He just ended up having a better turn 5.  Turn 6 could have been great or worse depending on what he may have picked up, but I had 2 cards I had a really good chance of picking up, and I might have been able to stop his line breaker, but who knows what he would have gotten in his turn.

His list was an Ork CAD
Warboss in mega-armor w/ lucky stick
Doc
Mek
30 boyz
2x5 Lootas
5 Tankbustas in a truck
3x1 Deffcoptas
5 Mek guns (S8 AP2 blast)

This is the second time I've faced this exact list/player in the campaign and my dice rolling was better, so that helped.  Terrain was ok, but could have been better.  And it would have been much better had the Mawloc actually hit his giant blob of Orks.  I ended up scattering 9" and missing it completely.  I may try the list again next month and see how it goes.  Hopefully I get to play someone different.  If anyone has suggestions for little tweaks, I'm open, but I don't think I'm going to completely revise the list.