Author Topic: Tyranids tale of gamers 500pt list ideas  (Read 1682 times)

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Lakey Wargames Youtube Page
Tyranids tale of gamers 500pt list ideas
« on: March 09, 2016, 03:14:49 PM »
So next month I am joining in a tale of gamers type of event with a couple of friends. We have all picked different armies and the idea for the first month is to build and paint a 500pt force and you score points for things such as converting, basing, painting and getting it done within the set time. You score those points and then play a game at the points level that month for more points.

As well as that when we bump the points up each month we have a rule of you have to stick with the unit/units you picked previously. You can add to them and change the upgrades but have to take the minimum for that unit still. So for example if I take one unit of 20 termagants at 500pts then it goes up to 750 I have to still have atlest a unit of 10 termagants.

I picked Tyranids for my army and I'm planning on the list I want to make for it. so here are a couple of 500 points lists I am thinking of making and using and would like to get some advice on.

LIST 1 - CAD - Tyranids

HQ
Hive tyrant - Wings - Twinlinked devouers with brainleech worms x2 = 230

TROOPS
x5 Genestealers = 70
x10 Hormagaunts = 50
x10 Hormagaunts = 50

ELITES
Zoanthrope = 50
Zoanthrope = 50

Total = 500

So with this list the flyrant does his thing and goes off causing problems and will be the main work horse of this list. I have a decent a strong sense of synapse with only the hormagaunts that need to be looked after. The tyrant combined with the zoans will also provide a stable physic power pool and I will have 3 objective secured troops who will all work together moving up the board and striking as one to bring targets down. This list while not the most optimized for packing a punch does seem balanced and a good base to build off of for future games.

LIST 2 - CAD - Tyranids

HQ
Hive tyrant - Wings - Twinlinked devouers with brainleech worms x2 = 230

TROOPS
x10 Termagants = 40
x10 Termagants = 40

ELITES
Zoanthrope = 50

HEAVY SUPPORT
Mawloc = 140

Total = 500

My second list idea I have been toying with takes less work off the Tyrant by gaining the aid of a Mawloc. The Mawloc would do what they do best by bursting out of the ground slaying all kinds of troops with the ignore cover blasts allowing the Tyrant to mop up survivors or gun down a different unit thus killing off my opponent quicker.  Synapse could be more of a problem in this list. The termagants only being baby sitted by a single Zoanthrope could cause a problem if he gets snipped leaving me with only 2 models left really doing anything.

So I guess what I am really after is to pick the brains of more experienced Tyranid players, would you advise any of these lists or what would you take for 500 points instead. Keeping in mind when the points go up you have to keep your previous units. Personally at the moment I think I am leaning towards list 1 more.
Please checkout Lakey Wargames over on Youtube for all kinds of tutorials, discussions, lets builds and more! :)

Lakey Wargames Youtube:
 https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgqSruhp2yl2gyqhiTuSrEA

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Tyranids tale of gamers 500pt list ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 03:26:27 PM »
Flyrants need their E-Shock Grubs.  It's a must include on every Flyrant ever.  Make the points available for it.  I'd take List 1 if you're trying to be friendly, but drop the Stealers for the 10pts needed for Grubs and a brood of Gargoyles.  That's be friendly and not over perform too much.

However, List 2 is much better moving forward.  You can keep using all those units in bigger games.  It's mean though.  You pretty much will walk over every other army at 500pts in a bound list.  You're talking about 12 S6 shots, S6 AP2 Large Blast, S10 Lance, that's very hard to deal with at 500pts.  But again, you NEED those grubs.  Drop a brood of Termagants for two Mucaloids and there ya go, or one Mucaloid and 15pts of extra Termagants.  Winning list right there.  Frankly, you just need those two models doing work and the rest of the army is going to be irrelevant.

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 06:56:48 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply Sharkoutofwata!

You make very vaild points about the flyrant needing egrubs and the second list as a whole. I totally forgot about Mucaloids in all honesty. Super cheap access to a troops choice for CAD requirement  there  and another S8 AP3 blast attack would be good.

Do Mucaloids preform well in larger games? What's a good use of them? Striking down and floating onto objectives or using them aggresively to blow stuff up?
Please checkout Lakey Wargames over on Youtube for all kinds of tutorials, discussions, lets builds and more! :)

Lakey Wargames Youtube:

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 02:07:53 AM »
Deerrrp I just answered my own question by remembering Mucolids have the living bomb rule so are non-scoring, non-denial and do not award victory points when destroyed. Makes their task nice and simple at all times then I suppose! :')

Thank you for the big help! Going to run your idea driven 500 points of

CAD - Tyranids

HQ
Hive tyrant - Electroshock grubs - Wings - Twinlinked devourers with brainleech worms x2 = 240

TROOPS
Mucolid = 15
Mucolid = 15
x10 Termagants = 40

ELITES
Zoanthrope = 50

HEAVY SUPPORT
Mawloc = 140

Total = 500

Lakey Wargames Youtube:

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 03:46:37 AM »
I dunno, I think flyrants are a bit overkill in a 500 pt game. Deathleaper night be a fun choice to start with for an HQ. Plus he'll give a reserve roll bonus so you can bring in stuff reliably like mucolids and gargoyles.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Meros

• Brother Captain
  • Part dæmon and proud of it.
    • View Profile
    • My Horus Heresy blog
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 04:11:38 AM »
Hive tyrants are fine for 500pts, other armies can bring far worse cheese, stormsurge anyone? Centurion star?

Just mind your zoanthrope as its your only source of backfield synapse and Wil hurt you if it drops (Warp Charges and Synapse).
http://Www.the-newzealand-wordbearer.blogspot.co.nz
My Horus Heresy blog.

We are all minions of the dark gods, one part in their great game

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 03:28:51 PM »
Well I'm only going down the flyrant road in 500 points because I have to stick with the units I pick in early rounds so it may be a little OP to start but will be normal when we start reaching the first 1000+ I would love swarmlord and did think about it a lot as I love the idea of him even if not the most powerful. Death leaper looks fun and something I may try one day but don't think he is something I want to commit to for the whole event. Maybe I'll add him to my collection afterwards. I'll probably have some lictors though! :)

The termagants will act as body guards to the zoanthrope and just chillax in some terrain until the flyrant and mawloc create enough pressure for him to safely pick a time to jump out and throw some warp blasts around.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 03:32:48 PM by Lakey Wargames »

Lakey Wargames Youtube:

Offline MiniTV

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 03:57:29 PM »
This may be just me, but I would bring in a brood of warriors instead of a Tyrant at just 500 pts; Warriors are more versatile and fairly cheap, so you might have a few points left over for some other gits.
Edit: Just noticed this thread was a year old... oops. Anyway how did it turn out?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 03:59:30 PM by MiniTV »
  • Tyranids: Orks: Necrons:
The Great Devourer for the win