Author Topic: Adepticon 2016 - hillshire's Deathwatch  (Read 1733 times)

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
Adepticon 2016 - hillshire's Deathwatch
« on: March 20, 2016, 09:46:08 PM »
I plan on adding more details leading up to Adepticon followed by a summary and analysis after the event.

Last year (as you can see from my Iron Hands posts) I took a tank heavy Iron Hands army designed to ignore most shooting and close combat attacks thanks to AV14 with some AV13. But 7th edition has seen the rise of D weapons so expensive vehicles are more of a risk.

This year I'm light on tanks and going with more traditional tacs, devs, scouts, and assault marines. With some other stuff added in. More on that later. Today I want to talk about theme.

This year I chose to go with Deathwatch. It's an army I've been building, play testing, and taking to tournaments for several months now. I've refined it and improved it to the point where I believe it's the most devastating army I've fielded. But not the most devastating in 40k. There are better ones out there but this suits my playing style.

Why Deathwatch? I already had a good start with Iron Hands and I've been quite pleased with them. Indeed, I bought and built duplicate units so that they would be properly Deathwatch themed. What it came down to is that as much as enjoyed Iron Hands, they work best with a mech list and that was not the direction I was going. Too much D out there. So the question was, which way to go?

While I was re-reading chapter tactics and trying to figure out which worked best for my playing style, I was watching battle reports on YouTube and came across Indrid's play-throughs of the Deathwatch computer game. I already enjoyed watching his 40k computer games (they're awesome, building into a crescendo of 40k destruction accompanied by his humorous and insightful commentary) so it's no surprise that I found his Deathwatch games fascinating even though the game play seemed comparatively slow paced.

Then it dawned on me, why be stuck with just one chapter tactic? Which army would know every chapter tactic while being flexible and skilled enough to use the appropriate CT for each battle? Deathwatch. They have members of each Chapter. They would be the most flexible army available.

For some formations, Ultramarines are best while for others White Scars. I tried some Red Hunters for a while but when it comes to shooting, re-rolls to hit are hard to beat. Why White Scars? The Hammer of Wrath improvements and Hit & Run are useful but primarily, they're bringing the Hunter's Eye to the battle field. Such as useful tool, it's irresistible.

On a side note, the fact that I could use two of my favorite base colors, black and silver, was a nice bonus.

Also, they're a nice compliment to my original army, the Grey Knights. The elite Daemon hunters and elite Xenos hunters working together. With an Inquisitor to tie it all together. She's my best example of free hand painting so far.

For Adepticon, it will be a pure Deathwatch force led by one Inquisitor.

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Adepticon 2016 - hillshire's Deathwatch
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 09:52:25 PM »
Everything's basically ready (there's always more to refine but this is the best prepared I've ever been), heading out early tomorrow morning. I hope I can beat the storms.

Here's the list:

Adepticon 2016 - Hammer of Typhon
“Hillshire"- Atlanta, Georgia

Inquisition
34   Xenos Inquisitor -  3 Servo Skulls - Warlord

Deathwatch CAD using White Scars Chapter Tactics
HQ
85   Librarian (Lvl 1) - Force Axe and Hunter’s Eye

Troops
95   Scout Squad - 5 scouts with bolter in a Land Speeder Storm - dedicated transport

105   Tactical Squad - 5 marines with 5 bolters
   Drop Pod

Fast Attack
35   Drop Pod

Heavy Support
240   Centurion Devastator Squad
   Sergeant: Grav-cannon w/grav-amp and Hurricane Bolter
   2 Centurions: Grav-cannon w/grav-amp and Hurricane Bolter

200   2 Thunderfire Cannons
   2 Techmarines Bolter & Bolt Pistol, servo harness (2 servo arms, plasma cutter, and flamer)

Lord of War
370   Typhon Heavy Siege Tank - AV14, 6 HP, Armored Ceramite, Dreadhammer Siege Cannon

Deathwatch using Ultramarine Chapter Tactics
Skyhammer Annihilation Force
115   Assault Squad - Jump packs, 4 Marines w/bolt pistol & chainsword, 1 w/ Eviscerator, Sergeant w/melta bombs

110   Assault Squad - Jump packs, 4 Marines w/bolt pistol & chainsword, 1 w/ Eviscerator, Sergeant w/melta bombs

145   Devastator Squad - 5 Marines (4 Multi-meltas, sergeant has Signum & bolter)
   Drop Pod                           

315   Devastator Squad - 10 marines (4 Grav-cannons w/grav amps, 5 bolters, and sergeant has Signum & bolter).
   Drop Pod                     

I dropped Tigurius and the third Thunderfire Cannon on a Skyshield Landing Pad (along with some other stuff) to make room for the Typhon. The TFCs have been fun, I've used them in several tournaments and have improved my usage of them but in the end, I decided to make room for the Typhon. Maybe I'll delve into my experiences with that in the future but Tiggy + 3 TFCs a great combo which can damage most everything in the game but it takes up a lot of points. Trading durability and a TFC to get a Typhon seems to be a fair trade. And I've had lots of fun using the Typhon in the past, it was a major part of winning all 3 games in Highlander at Adepticon last year.

This list is even more aggressive than last year's but there are some strong counters out there so I have no illusions that it's all going to be easy. Mainly, I hope I win more than I lose while having fun hanging out with friends and getting in some highly competitive games.

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 08:18:54 PM »
I'll go into more detail soon but right now I'll go over some quick, general points.

First, I didn't get to play in the Championship tournament because another car wrecked mine on the way to they event. This was very disappointing for many obvious reasons. While I was unlikely to win the event, I had a decent chance of moving on to the second round this year.

Second, I did make it in time to play Maelstrom. I'll save the results for later but it's amusing that after spending so much time testing and preparing the list to fight Eldar and practicing tactics for minimizing intercepting Tau, all three of my games were against Space Marines. Good opponents and fun games but not what the list was designed to fight against.

Third, Teams was a blast as always. We were playing Khorne Daemonkin. Not really sure they fit my playing style but so fun to play. I'm not going to write those up because there's just too much information I don't have (I don't have the opponents' lists and didn't take many pictures this year, too busy). Basically, our games were winners on Turn 5 and losers Turn 6. Blood for the blood god! Skulls for the skull throne!

Funny thing: During Teams on the second day, the power went out in the main hall. The crowd shouted "night fight!", took out their phones to use as flash lights, and got right back to playing. Power returned within 5 minutes but it was a cool moment.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 08:27:50 PM by hillshire »

Online DCannon4Life

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 07:05:51 AM »
Sorry to hear about your car!  :o

Glad you made it to AdeptiCon. I look forward to seeing what you thought of the 21-card Maelstrom event.

Cheers!
First, you must learn Balance. --Miyagi

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 09:39:35 AM »
Game 1 - Iron Hands Gladius Strike Force (double Battle Demi Company) w/Librarius Conclave and a Storm Wing

AKA

All the free transports

I won't post the lists unit by unit since I didn't ask permission to do so. Instead, I'll just give a general description.

So, the battle companies were duplicates (except the required Captain and Chaplain of course). Each tac squad had a lascannon, the devs had heavy bolters, the attack bikes had heavy bolters, and there were razorbacks with heavy bolters all over the place (eight). Librarius Conclave was pretty straight forward, 4 level 2 Librarians with Force Swords. The Stormwing was geared towards anti-infantry with assault cannons, Hurricane Bolters, Heavy Bolters, and Skyhammer Missile Launchers.

Off hand, we both had advantages. He only had the lascannons to deal with the Typhon but with so many cheap (and free) ObSec units, he had a strong advantage in the objective part of the mission. Still, that would depend heavily on what cards were drawn.

One of the cool things about this particular tournament is that for each game, you could pick which cards were in your deck (except the mandatory 6 inclusions and 6 exclusions) as well as the first three cards you would "draw" for Turn 1. So you could really take advantage of your army's strengths and your opponent's weaknesses. I had gone over my cards in detail while waiting at the airport so I already had a plan in place which should net me an almost guaranteed 3 pts on Turn 1. Which should also be true for any other army if they planned ahead well. As a result, the first turn should be about equal for both sides

Well, gotta go. I'm going to go help one of my team play test his White Scars against my Adepticon Deathwatch. More later!

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 12:20:11 PM »
Game 1 - Iron Hands Gladius Strike Force (double Battle Demi Company) w/Librarius Conclave and a Storm Wing

Part 2

The tournament started late, I could only guess why. So I was hanging out chit chatting. My team captain dropped by since he was playing Maelstrom too. And it hit me. We've always been on the same side. We'd never played against each other. Lo and behold, we were paired against each other for Game 1.

Board: Dawn of War
Terrain: 4 Large GW buildings and 2 Forests
Night Fighting: Yes
First Turn: Iron Hands

So the Iron Hands deployed all of their infantry into two large buildings at either side of the board. They wisely placed models on all three levels to limit the effectiveness of my Thunderfire Cannons (hereafter TFCs) and Typhon. Vehicles were placed to the sides of the buildings to block me from getting to objectives. The psykers were distributed amongst the infantry units. Storm Wing was in reserves.

My guess is that his plan was to castle up the infantry on the objective markers on his side while sending his free rhinos out to get onto objectives on my side.

My deployment was pretty simple. TFCs in one building where they could see the enemy but keep the Inquisitor hidden while sitting on an objective. Typhon in another building for a cover save claiming another objective. The Skyhammer would drop on Turn 1 along with a White Scars drop pod. Landspeeder Storm (LSS) with Scouts would outflank Turn 2+ with the second drop pod arriving Turn 2+.

My plan was pretty simple. Drop the Skyhammer with Centurions on one side while the Typhon rolled up the other. The tac drop pod would drop on an objective as needed and the LSS would pick up stray objectives. Kill his mobility early to keep him on his side of the board.

Wiping him off the board wasn't really an option. Just too much stuff to kill. But I'd stacked my deck with as many "destroy unit" cards as I could. Particularly for the cards I selected for Turn 1.

I can't give a play by play, too much has happened since then. But I'll try to give you the gist of it.

Turn 1 Iron Hands - The Iron Hands took shots at the Typhon with his lascannons and managed to take a HP or two off of it. Ungodly amounts of bolter fire ripped into the TFCs destroying one of them but since it was a two gun battery, it was not First Blood. Some vehicles may have moved up but the infantry stayed in place.

Iron Hands Maelstrom points scored: 3

Turn 1 Deathwatch - The Skyhammer dropped and scattered quite a bit, pushing the 10 man grav devastator unit and the assault mariners sans melta bomb back into ongoing reserves. The Centurions unleashed into his Warlord's unit, killing him and the squad to earn First Blood and Warlord for Secondary Objectives. The melta devs blew up a rhino. Typhon moved up out of cover and shot into a building but scattered badly, only killing a few tacs. Assault squad charged into a rhino with their Eviscerator but I don't recall if they destroyed it this turn or the next.

Deathwatch Maelstrom points scored: 4 w/2 bonus points

Turn 2 Iron Hands - Infantry stays put. Maybe some vehicles scoot around. Storm Wing arrives. Lascannons get the 3rd HP off the Typhon to score 1 pt on Secondaries for Through Attrition Victory (or was it next turn?). Bolter fire into the melta squad but they weather it with a loss or two. I don't think they got wiped. By this point the second TFC is dead. Probably from the Storm Wing. Which rips lots of gunfire into stuff. I think they wiped out the assault squad, put a wound or two into the Centurions. Hard to remember the exact details. The important thing is, the Iron Hands really wracked up Maelstrom points.

Iron Hands Maelstrom points scored: 5 w/1 bonus point

Turn 2 Deathwatch - Tac squad drops onto the objective the Typhon had been covering while the Typhon continues its move towards the right side objective. I don't think it was in Thunderblitz range at this point. The blast kills a few models but the smart placement of his models prevents me from killing more than 3-4 at a time. LSS Scouts come on the board and score an objective (I think?). Grav devs drop in but since they don't Ignores Cover, they don't do as much damage as you might think. The Grav Cents didn't have a good target so they shot at the Storm Raven with disappointing results. Not surprising but this unit really needs to be doing work. The Techmarines and my Warlord tuck themselves behind a wall so only a Stormtalon can get LoS on them. And even that would be hard to get to. The second assault squad arrived and maybe killed a rhino.

Deathwatch Maelstrom points scored: 3

More later!

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 08:09:08 AM »

Part 3

Turn 3 Iron Hands - The Iron Hands adjusted their spacing a bit but mostly stayed castled up while the Storm Wing maneuvered to improve their line of sight. The Stormraven and the Stormtalon ganged up the newly arrived drop pod and tac squad. At the moment, I don't recall if he wiped them or not but they certainly weren't a factor in the end game. The second Stormtalon skirted around a building to try and line up on my Warlord Inquisitor and her Techmarine guardians but they were well hidden by the ruins. I may have lost a Techmarine but the Inquisitor was safe. The Iron Hands had an solid draw and were able to score vital Maelstrom points.

Iron Hands Maelstrom points scored: 3 w/1 bonus point (line breaker)

Turn 3 Deathwatch - Finally get to Thunderblitz with the Typhon! But since my opponent had been smart with his placement, I was only to make contact with one squad of marines. Also, I didn't get the most devastating result so only a few marines were ground beneath its treads. My draw from the Maelstrom deck was pretty week. If I remember correctly, one of them was for an objective currently being held by 3 squads of enemy tac marines so blasting them off the objective was unlikely. The Typhon sent a shell in but again, due to smart use of levels in the building, only a few marines were obliterated. The rest of my army fired into the battle companies and managed to clear an opening. The LSS made a bold Turbo boost and hopped onto the objective. Unfortunately, the card I'd hoped would deliver for me (kill enemy units) didn't get scored because while I did damage to several units and created an opening, none of them were destroyed.

Deathwatch Maelstrom points scored: 1 w/1 bonus point for linebreaker

Unfortunately, time was up and we had to tally our scores.

Iron Hands: 13 VPs [11 Maelstrom Points w/2 bonus points (Victory Through Attrition and Linebreaker)]
Deathwatch: 11 VPs [8 Maelstrom points w/3 bonus points (First Blood, Warlord, and Linebreaker)]

Close game! But a minor loss for me. Let's cover some topics and tactics.

Unfinished game. The game started late. The judges added 15 minutes (which cut into the 60 minute lunch break) but there is also the time lost getting to your table and getting your stuff out of their storage. So, that was a big factor. Also, I'm pretty sure the game officially started well after 15 minutes into the original start time. Not sure though, I didn't check my phone. We just started playing. For the players, we talked about it afterwards and neither of us felt  we were dragging. In fact, we were playing at a good pace. And since we're on the same team there's no advantage to fronting to each other. Indeed, we were talking about ways to improve our playing speed. Gladius does take a while to deploy so we identified that as an area to improve. And while my army was quick to deploy, resolving the Deep Strikes from Skyhammer plus the extra drop pod and then placing about 30 models is pretty time consuming. So, that's my area to improve on.

Sportsmanship. No surprise, it was an excellent and fun game. My teammate is an excellent player and excellent person.

Maelstrom. I liked the format. You had much more control over your cards but there was still a random element. Yeah, I got dinged by a draw I couldn't complete but over the course of a full game, that was likely to balance out over a full length game. At the same time, drawing and scoring cards does add time to each game turn. Maybe Maelstrom games should be longer to take that into account.

Could I have won if the game went to Turn 5 or longer? Possibly. He didn't have much left to deal with the Typhon other than some lucky hits from the Stormstrike Missiles off the Stormraven or very lucky hits from Assault Cannons. On the other hand, I had no skyfire so I would be relying on lucky hits from grav cannons. I wish we could have found out.

Did our plans work? Mostly. The Iron Hands basically had two castles to hold three objectives. The rhinos didn't survive long enough to do much scoring but the high mobility of the flyers could have come into play for scoring objectives late game. My pincer maneuver was also working but wouldn't have hit full effect for another turn.

What could I have done better? Be more aggressive with the Typhon. The Dreadhammer is great but the Typhon really needs to run over stuff to be most effective. I was pretty good but could have done better.

Iron Hands hero of the match? I can't think of a model which stood above the others but the wise placement of the marine squads was definitely the game winner for the Iron Hands.

Deathwatch hero of the match? I would say the Centurions. Their mass fire with Ignores Cover contributed a lot to clearing out a space for the LSS to land and they did score the Warlord kill.

Next battle, Deathwatch Skyhammer + Centurions + Typhon vs Iron Hands Captain Smash Brothers (and his command squad biker buddies) + Centurions + Cerastus Knight Acheron + Thunderwolf Cavalry

Any bets as to who wins this one?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 08:24:06 AM by hillshire »

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 09:49:44 AM »
Game 2 - Iron Hands Bikers w/Grav-Cents, Space Wolves Deathpack w/Grey Hunters in a Drop Pod and Thunderwolf Cavalry, and a Cerastus Knight-Acheron

For brevity, lets refer to this army as the Iron Wolves. Again, I won't write out the list in detail. Just give the general concept.

Iron Hands: Captain w/Shield Eternal and Lighting Claws (I mention these because they played an important role: deadly to my infantry, the Captain's Lightning Claws couldn't hurt the Typhon and wasn't ignoring my grav-cents armor while the Shield Eternal would prevent me from Instant Deathing him with the Typhon), grav command squad on bikes with an Apothecary, 2 ObSec grav bike squads, grav-cents, and a drop pod for them to drop in with.

Cerastus Knight Acheron: D weapon in close combat and Acheron flame cannon for short range shooting

Space Wolves: Grey Hunters in a drop pod and Thunderwolf Cavalry w/Storm Shields and a couple of Power Fists

Notice, no melta bombs.

Powerful list, plenty of threats. So target priority is very important this game.

Board: Vanguard Strike
Terrain: Mostly hills and forests, won't be much of a factor in the game
Night Fighting: No
First Turn: Iron Wolves

My Deathwatch was deployed with TFCs in the corner with the Typhon nearby, both in light cover (5+). Fast and simple.

The Iron Wolves pushed their Thunder Wolf Cavalry (TWC hereafter) and Acheron forward, setting up for a Turn 2 assault.

My plan is to destroy his heavy units in the following order: Knight Acheron (because it'll D out the Typhon), grav-cents (because they're almost certainly going to be in my zone and can do tremendous damage to my infantry and possibly the Typhon as well), then split decision between the TWC and command bikes (depending on who is closer).

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 12:41:17 PM »
Game 2 - Iron Hands Bikers w/Grav-Cents, Space Wolves Deathpack w/Grey Hunters in a Drop Pod and Thunderwolf Cavalry, and a Cerastus Knight-Acheron

Part 2

Turn 1 Iron Wolves - His Centurions arrive by drop pod very close to my Typhon and TFCs. His Acheron runs up closely followed by the Command Squad on bikes. TWC are running over from a farther flank but aren't a direct threat yet. The grav bike squads are in reserve I think. The Centurions pour fire into the TFCs but they make most of their cover saves, losing a TFC.

Iron Wolves Maelstrom points scored: 2

Turn 1 Deathwatch - Skyhammer drops. I started with Assault Marines so I could set up charges vs either the Acheron or the Grav-Cents as well as box in my drop pods. Then Melta-Devs right beside the Acheron so I could get side and rear shots. Then my Grav-Cents where they could get shots on both the Acheron and his Grav-Cents. My Grav-Devs landed between the Acheron and the TWC.

I started with the remaining TFC in an attempt to snipe out the Apothecary but it scattered far it did little to no damage. Then the Typhon placed a shot so that it would hit both the Acheron and the following Command Bikes. Direct hit knocking an HP off the Acheron and killing a bike or two (iirc). Then the Melta-Devs stripped off another 3 HP but failed to kill it. I was really hoping the Melta-Devs would kill it outright leaving Grav-Devs free to concentrate on the TWC but I had one squad fire into the Acheron who finished it off. Which exploded and took out some Melta-Devs with it. Worth the sacrifice.

On a side note, I could have taken a chance and left the Acheron to the Assault Marines with their 5 combined Armourbane attacks. But I didn't want to take the risk that their attacks would fail and leave the Typhon at the mercy of the Acheron. Meanwhile, my Grav-Cents killed off his (the Hunter's Eye was a big help by negating his cover save) and the Grav-Devs shot into the TWC, killing one or two.

Deathwatch Maelstrom points scored: 5 w/3 bonus point for First Blood and Through Attrition Victory

All in all, a crushing Turn 1. We played out the rest of the game but in the end, I was unable to kill off his Command Squad w/Warlord and he was unable to dig out of the Maelstrom hole I had dug for him. Both of our Warlords survived and most of my army was still standing at the end with no damage to the Typhon.

Final score
Iron Wolves: 5 VPs [4 Maelstrom Points w/1 bonus points (Linebreaker)]
Deathwatch: 10 VPs [7 Maelstrom points w/3 bonus points (First Blood and Through Attrition Victory)]

Which became 20 VPs for me and 10 for him for the Tournament

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 10:24:11 PM »
Game 3 - Space Wolves: Wolf Claw Strike Force

By this time, I was dealing hoping for some nice Xenos army for my Deathwatch to fight. No such luck. Instead, I was up against a Space Wolf army with a lot of free drop pods. In a way, drop pod armies are like flyers: whoever goes second has the advantage in terms of getting their shots off at valuable targets. Since there was no way I was going to table the Space Wolves Turn 1 anyway, I knew I'd have to come in second one way or the other. And since my opponent won the roll and elected to go second, I felt I had to hold off the Skyhammer until Turn 2 to make sure I had the most targets available to my Devastators.

Getting ahead of myself. Let's do an overview of the Space Wolves army. 5 level 2 Rune Priests in a Wyrdstorm Brotherhood w/Ulrik the Slayer. That's 10 psychic dice a turn, most (if not all) of which were using the Tempestas discipline. Mostly carrying combo-meltas.

Then bunches of Blood Claws, Grey Hunters, Long Fangs, and Wolf Guard in 8 free drop pods. Armed with lots of melta and a smattering of plasma and flamers.

To finish it off, Murderfang in Lucius Pattern Dreadnought Drop Pod.

Again, no melta bombs

So, my TFCs and Typhon would have to weather 2 turns of shooting before any help arrived. I dug them deep into cover. The Space Wolve's only chance to destroy the Typhon was to glance it to death with lots of melta guns.

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 12:00:37 PM »

Board: Hammer and Anvil
Terrain: Mostly hills and forests with some craters
Night Fighting: No
First Turn: Space Wolves

I had won the dice off and elected to go second as reasoned above.

His plan was apparently to surround my two units on the board and try to table me Turn 1 or at least destroy the TFCs and Typhon, then deal with the rest of the infantry once they landed.

My plan was to weather the storm, literally. Even if I lost everything during his turn, the drop pod full of Tacs would prevent me from being tabled Turn 1. Then the Skyhammer would drop for maximum damage output.

Turn 1 Space Wolves - As per the formation, all of the drop pods reigned in Turn 1 surrounding the Typhon and TFCs. And all of the infantry came out making a large ring around my small beachhead. TFCs were in craters to gain some cover while the Typhon had cover on three sides from some ruins. Once in place the Wyrdstorm Brotherhood cast The Living Storm and piled an amazing amount of wounds onto the TFCs due to having so many Brothers to boost the dice pool. Some survived but not for long as more psychic attacks were piled on until I had given up First Blood and Warlord. Next the melta guns fired into the Typhon. Thanks to its high AV, Ceramite Armor, and cover saves, the Typhon only lost a hull point or two. If even that much. No assaults.

Space Wolves Maelstrom points scored: 2 Maelstrom points w/2 bonus points (First Blood and Warlord)

Turn 1 Deathwatch - Now, I messed up a bit here. Since the Skyhammer wasn't dropping until Turn 2, I should have left my alpha-strike cards in the deck and started with something safer. Even so, I managed to score 2 Maelstrom points. Here's how. So, I dropped my wimpy Tac squad and their drop pod onto a distant objective to score a point whenever that Objective popped up. Otherwise, they were out of the game other than some long distance pot shots.

The Typhon is an interesting model because in most games, it's scarier than it's actual performance. People stay away from it unless they're charging in to kill it so it's mostly a very expensive orbital bombardment with upgrades. But when something is close by, it can become the most terrifying monstrosity in the game thanks to the Thunderblitz table. For which it has a bonus so that it's always doing some damage and a third of the time it's S10 AP2 to anything it comes into contact with in a straight line. And then proceeds on to the Tank Shock or Ram rules. In that first turn it ran over three units, killing several models, and blew up two drop pods. And still got to shoot its Dreadhammer Siege Cannon at another target to kill more models. The Typhon had broken out of the trap.

In case people aren't aware, the trap is to surround it with cheap drop pods. If they are destroyed due to Thunderblitz and/or Ramming, the Typhon can keep moving. If it fails to destroy them, it has to stop in front of the offending vehicle. Certainly worth the risk to contain a Typhon or any other Super Heavy Tank. And credit to my opponent, he had his infantry shooting from behind the drop pods so that I'd have to get through the drop pod barrier first. Unfortunately for him, I had a 1/3 chance of blowing them up from Thunderblitz and then 1/2 chance of an Explodes! result from Ramming.

Deathwatch Maelstrom points scored: 2 Maelstrom point

Turn 2 Space Wolves - The Space Wolves were unlucky with their draw for Maelstrom. While they lacked mobility, they had lots of board control but were unable to take advantage of it. Also, since the Typhon had charge off, most of the melta was out of range. A few shots were taken but to no real effect. Similarly, the Tac unit probably drew some fire but it was inconsequential to the game. Mostly they dressed their lines into cover in preparation for the Skyhammer.

Space Wolves Maelstrom points scored: 1 Maelstrom point

Turn 2 Deathwatch - In fairness, my draw was no better. So I concentrated on killing more enemy units. The Skyhammer dropped not the left flank. The Grav Devs and one of the Assault squads miss-happed and went back into ongoing reserves. The Grav Cents killed his warlord and escort while the rest of the shooters ripped into the huge number of infantry models. The Assault squad which did arrive tore into a drop pod with its Eviscerator. Not sure if the destroyed it that turn or the next. Meanwhile the Typhon ran down the right flank Thunderblitzing them and then Dreadhammering them. Another drop pod or two was crushed along with a number infantry models.

Deathwatch Maelstrom points scored: 1 Maelstrom point w/1 bonus pt (Warlord)

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 12:34:45 PM »

Part 3

Turn 3 Space Wolves - The Space Wolves spread out to mitigate Thunderblitz attacks. More psychic attacks poured into my infantry, dealing some damage. I think the Space Wolves blew up a drop pod with a melta gun. But his army is penned in and under pressure. The tide is turning.

Space Wolves Maelstrom points scored: 1 Maelstrom point

Turn 3 Deathwatch - It's getting harder to both Thunderblitz and shoot because there are less targets conveniently lined up. Also, the errant Grav Devs and second Assault Marine squad dropped in to join the fight. Fortuitously, I drew the Warlord Maelstrom card for guaranteed points. My Centurions had lost a model but were still quite dangerous. 30 grav shots, 10 of which Ignores Cover, poured into the Space Wolves to devastating effect. The tide had turned.

Deathwatch Maelstrom points scored: 5 Maelstrom points

Turn 4 Space Wolves - While there were still 3-4 drop pods, there wasn't much Space Wolves infantry left to score with. Let alone deal damage. Somewhere in all this, a melta gun must have scored a glance against the Typhon because that would account for the 4th bonus point. Also, I had forgotten that earlier in the game the Murderfang had dropped in and was destroyed.

Space Wolves Maelstrom points scored: 0 Maelstrom points w/2 bonus pts (Linebreaker and Through Attrition, Victory)

Turn 4 Deathwatch - The Deathwatch is running out of targets. The scouts had arrived at some point and flew over to sit on an objective. The rest of the army is attacking what it can see and/or scoring Maelstrom points. The tide is turning into a flood.

Deathwatch Maelstrom points scored: 3 Maelstrom points w/1 bonus pt (Linebreaker)

We call time and end the game early. If the game had gone long enough, a tabling was possible.

Final score
Iron Wolves: 8 VPs [4 Maelstrom Points w/4 bonus points (Linebreaker, First Blood, Warlord, and Through Attrition Victory)]
Deathwatch: 13 VPs [11 Maelstrom points w/2 bonus points (Warlord and Linebreaker)]

Which became 20 VPs for me and 10 for him for the Tournament

In the end, I placed 11th in the tournament. If I'd had my display board, I would have placed higher. Stupid driver for wrecking my car.