Author Topic: Goredrinker Rules  (Read 888 times)

Offline Grubthak

• Initiate
  • Fear is the mind-killer
    • View Profile
Goredrinker Rules
« on: April 04, 2016, 03:48:32 AM »
So at my local gaming club there has been an argument about the interpretation of the Goredrinker's rules.

So with the Goredrinker does the model get all the perks of the level of total wounds caused and the ones lower.
E.g. a lord at turn 4 has caused 9 wounds (3 at turn 1, 4 at turn 2 and 2 at turn 3) and therefore gets +1S, rampage, x2S and instant death because it is 8+ total.

Or does the amount of wounds caused at the last turn give the model that level.
E.g. a lord at turn 4 has caused 9 wounds (3 at turn 1, 4 at turn 2 and 2 at turn 3) and therefore gets rampage due to causing 3-4 wounds in turn 1, rampage again due to causing 3-4 wounds in turn 2 and +1S due to causing 1-2 wounds in turn 3.

Sorry if that was hard to decipher but can someone please shine light onto this issue?
Recite the Litany of Stealth to decrease your chances of being heard.

Online Draco765

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Goredrinker Rules
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 05:45:31 AM »
You keep the total number of wounds through out the game, the effect does not say it "resets" each turn. The way it is worded is to highlight that the model only gains new powers if the number goes above the current "level" at the start of the turn, not as they happen.

So your first example is correct.

Offline Exalted of the First Host

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 09:21:20 AM »
What Draco765 said, keep a total tally of the wounds over the course of the game. Also a couple helpful tips, if they fail Armour or invulnerable saves against the wielder of the axe but pass FNP you still count the wound because FNP isn't a save. Also, a common strategy with the axe is to run it with a lightning claw on a juggerlord or biker lord because RAW says when the bearer of the axe causes wounds the bearer gains the buffs, I.E. you cause wounds with the LC and still get +1S, Rampage, etc.
10 wounds, 10 saves, 10 1's, One epic misfire.

Online Draco765

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 03:17:31 PM »
What Draco765 said, keep a total tally of the wounds over the course of the game. Also a couple helpful tips, if they fail Armour or invulnerable saves against the wielder of the axe but pass FNP you still count the wound because FNP isn't a save. Also, a common strategy with the axe is to run it with a lightning claw on a juggerlord or biker lord because RAW says when the bearer of the axe causes wounds the bearer gains the buffs, I.E. you cause wounds with the LC and still get +1S, Rampage, etc.

Minor correction: Feel no pain states: "On a 5+, the unsaved Wound is discounted treat it as having been saved." Similar wording is on Reanimation Protocol, it is counted as not being a wound.

Offline Grubthak

• Initiate
  • Fear is the mind-killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 03:25:38 PM »
Thanks for all the clarification(s). Now I've got to figure out how to explain it to the but hurt space marine players insisting it is otherwise.

Also I think I'll be using it on a juggerlord with power sword so I can still get the extra attack for two weapons.
Recite the Litany of Stealth to decrease your chances of being heard.

Offline Mahlis

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 02:55:54 PM »
I'm not really sure how they would be arguing the rule...it's pretty straight forward.

"Blood Feast Keep a count of all unsaved Wounds caused by the bearer's Melee attacks.  At the start of each of your turns, consult the table below to see what effects Goredrinker will have on its bearer. These effects are cumulative."

In fact, some argue - with how the rule is worded - that the bearer gains the effect if they use a different weapon...for example a lightning claw at initiative.  I'm not saying it's the correct interpretation of the rule but it is one interpretation of the rule.  Hopefully it will be cleared up when GW releases the the massive FAQ responses.

Offline cgseahawker

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 04:57:43 PM »
Yeah, I have to agree with the previous comments...it's pretty clear. I use it all the time and I have never had anyone suggest the effects weren't cumulative from each turn into the next. The one angle I do not play (a self imposed restriction due to some uncertainty regarding RAI) would be the aforementioned LC combo. I just play it as a Goredrinker buff, not a Model buff, but that runs counter to the exact wording in the Codex, as was previously stated.