Author Topic: Revised KDK list...1,850 pts  (Read 723 times)

Offline cgseahawker

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Revised KDK list...1,850 pts
« on: April 19, 2016, 06:53:45 AM »
Hey guys/gals,

So, I got some really good feedback on my last list, and took a few games to test drive various units. While I didn't ultimately care for the integration of the Soul Grinder, I did give it a solid run in four games. This is the list I'm settling in on, but I'd love to hear what some of you see when you look at these units. This is intended to be competitive, and solely based on competing at the various tournaments in the US. Any and all feedback is welcome, and appreciated. Cheers!

-Rich

KDK 1,850 pts

CAD: 1,720

HQ - Chaos Lord (Juggernaught, PF, MB, Kor'lath axe) WARLORD 
* F/A - 10 Flesh Hounds

HQ - Herald of Khorne (Exalted Locus of Wrath)
* Troop - 9 Cultists
* H/S - Land Raider

Troop - 10 CSM (x2 MG), Asp.Ch. (PF, C-MG, MB)
* Rhino (Dozer blade)

Troop - 10 CSM (x2 MG), Asp.Ch. (PF, C-MG, MB)
* Rhino (Dozer blade)

Troop - 8 Cultists
* F/A - Rhino (Dozer blade)

Troop - 8 Cultists
* F/A - Rhino (Dozer blade)

H/S - Maulerfiend

H/S - Maulerfiend

Formation: War Engine: 130 pts

* Maulerfiend

Online Draco765

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Revised KDK list...1,850 pts
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 08:29:12 AM »
Well, the only issue I see is that the "War Engine" is not an actual formation. It is an Auxiliary choice only when using the Blood Host Detachment.

So, you now have 130 points to spend somewhere else.

Offline cgseahawker

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 10:32:37 AM »
So, I had to look that up and it appears you are correct. I had merely thought it was a formation with no benefits beyond unit options, but it would seem you need a data sheet to be eligible as an atonnymous formation. So I will just reorganize the same selections into a dual CAD, and nothing changes. Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

-Rich

Online Draco765

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 02:04:28 PM »
Yeah, had the same experience with the Necron Decurion with the Flayed ones/deathmarks are added as an Aux with no Formation.

And, yeah, no downside to doing double cad, you have two HQs and tons of troops.

Offline Exalted of the First Host

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 09:50:36 AM »
I only have one issue with the list, it doesn't have enough staying power. Any shooting army is going to be dropping rhinos and cultists like flies. Especially if they have any important vehicles that need to get their they will probably shoot the Melta rhinos out turn one forcing you talk walk across the table. The Land raider can be ignored because there are much scarier things in the list, like the maulerfiends which, granted, aren't super easy to crack open but even an immobilized or weapon destroyed result can ruin them. Juggerlord and flesh hounds always a great choice, nothing to say there. Back to the Land Raider, once the cultists get out with the Herald they will probably kill anything they come into combat with. However, you have to go through overwatch first and then if you charged through cover, your opponent attacks first against WS3 T3 6+ save cultists. If they make it far enough to slaughter something, now they are out in the open and your opponent can shoot them up.

So, here are my suggestions, take all of the cultists out of Rhinos, there job isn't to go up the field really fast, even if on the last turn just to grab an objective. They exist to wait in your deployment zone or in reserve to grab objectives in the last 2-3 turns. I feel like a land raider is almost always a bad choice only because it costs so much just to deliver troops. If it was about 115 points cheaper and wasn't a heavy support choice then yes, I would take them all day.

On the subject of Heavy Support, I know you said you didn't like soul grinders but they're so good in my opinion! The S8 AP3 pie plate scares people into dealing with them, which allows all of your other stuff to move forward, if they don't shoot the grinders, it allows them to march up the table till they get into charge range to beat stuff up. But again, I understand that you don't like how they function with the way they play which I totally get. But I have an Idea for you, next time you play try using two soul grinders and two maulerfiends in the same list and see which one functions better. I used to always use two in a list until one game I played them and Soul grinders and started to see more use in soul Grinders.

I would also recommend that you run some units of one chaos spawn, to eat overwatch/shooting, be scary, slap something around in combat or give a blood tithe. They are pretty cheap and not super easy to take out with T5 and three wounds, especially if you keep them in cover. One last thought, you have 130 points left over in your list, why not take some bikes or flesh hounds or something? When it really comes down to it, play what you want to play, not what I or anyone else says you should. Sorry if any of this sounds rude or harsh, not my intention. Have a great day!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 09:57:36 AM by Exalted of the First Host »
10 wounds, 10 saves, 10 1's, One epic misfire.

Offline cgseahawker

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 12:42:53 PM »
Nothing rude in offering up some free advice, mate, so no worries there! I think what I'm seeing is that you and I both like to play very different army styles, and that is awesome! All good points here, so best of luck to you going forward!

-Rich