Author Topic: TWC Str 10?  (Read 1961 times)

Offline Rosbjorn

• Initiate
    • View Profile
TWC Str 10?
« on: May 24, 2016, 09:44:19 AM »
Hello all,

I've always treated my thunderwolf cavalry as well as characters on thunderwolves as strength 10 when wielding powerfists or thunderhammers, but recently got into a bit of an argument with someone who seemed adamant that they should be treated as strength 9. While I am fairly easy-going most of the time when it comes to rules debates like this, it would be nice to have an official answer one way or the other.

Does anyone know of an official statement about this? What do you think the strength should be resolved at?

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: TWC Str 10?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 10:10:00 AM »
Official answer is in the first section of the rulebook under modifiers but I can't provide a page number right now but it's very early on in the book.  The x2 is always applied before +1 modifications so the character is S4, doubled for the weapon, +1 for the mount.  That is just the order of things, even though it doesn't seem right.  There MIGHT be a more recent FAQ in the recent Facebook stuff but that's still not official rukes anyway.  As far as I know, TWC characters with those weapons are S9.

Offline TearoftheDragon

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 12:16:49 AM »
The FAQ has cleared up that this is the case and they would be str9.

Offline Technomagier

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 01:46:02 PM »
I've now read every current valid FAQ released and also the draft on facebook. Neither stated, that they count as str. 9. Right now, the new FAQ says only something about the wording "count as.." and similar wordings. That's all.

Offline Kvekan

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 04:16:44 AM »
Read multiple modifiers in the rulebook page 8 section Models & Units. It's 9. Same for power fists wielders with furious charge etc.
"For those we cherish, we die in glory" ...And we die a lot.

Offline Rosbjorn

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 08:57:34 AM »
Ya, I can see that interpretation for sure. The str 10 argument seems to be coming from fellow space wolf players mostly. I will say that all the tournaments seem to play with it as strength 10 though.

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 11:08:22 AM »
Space Wolves First Draft FAQ is up, it presents the reasoning as I understood it.

Q: For all models that can ride Thunderwolves (including Thunderwolf Cavalry and Wolf Lords on Thunderwolves), is the Strength bonus from the Thunderwolf applied before or after multiplying the userís Strength by 2 for the purposes of weapons like power fists and thunder hammers?

A: The modelís Strength profile is improved by 1 for riding a Thunderwolf. This is not a modified profile, but is instead the modelís new profile (as demonstrated by the Thunderwolf Cavalry profile). As wielding a power fist or thunder hammer doubles the Strength characteristic on the modelís profile before any other modifiers are applied, this will mean the modelís Strength of 5 is doubled to 10.

https://www.facebook.com/1575682476085719/photos/pcb.1632423303744969/1632421947078438/?type=3&theater
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 11:10:08 AM by hillshire »

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 11:50:30 AM »
Good.  That's how it should be.

Offline Kvekan

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 11:54:40 AM »
It's good that they clear it up even though it goes straight against their own definition from the rulebook. I personally don't like that they have different rulings for different modifiers, in my view a thunderwolf is also a piece of wargear. But it's one of many such answers throughout the FAQ drafts though so I don't expect they put much stock in the wording of their own rules.

"For those we cherish, we die in glory" ...And we die a lot.

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 12:27:19 PM »
Pretty clear. It's not a modifier. It's a different profile. As it always has been.

But, it might have been helpful to create a separate profile bar to make it clear.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 12:42:21 PM by hillshire »