Author Topic: Get Started Necrons  (Read 1680 times)

Offline Morphoes

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Get Started Necrons
« on: May 29, 2016, 10:18:57 PM »
The new get started boxes that GW is selling look great as a way to start Necrons as I have sold my old army (Dark Angels) and was wondering if the units in it are any good?(I know overlords and warriors are our bread and butter but scarabs and the stalker?) As well as what to build on to it to grow my army
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 02:48:16 PM by Morphoes »

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Get Started Necrons
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 02:02:32 AM »
It's not as good as the old battleforce you might find online still.  A Ghost Ark, Warriors, Immortals and Scarabs is simply a better choice because of how close it is to a Reclaimation Legion.  Which obviously leads to a Decurion faster.

Still, all of these units in the Get Started box have a place too in a CAD army.  The Stalker does great things when hanging out with Destroyers and Scarabs are needed for a Conoptek Harvest, which is good enough to run outside of a Decurion.

My most common advice with Necrons is to build a Decurion.  Pick a couple Formations and buy those units and for the time until you are able to run them, use a CAD with what you have.  The Decurion offers very powerful options that each have a set of flavor and some pretty balanced styles of play.  You don't have to get spammy with any one thing.  But as I said above, Stalkers work very well with Destroyers.

Online Draco765

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 05:40:15 AM »
The Get started box is just under 500 points that you can add an upgrade or two to the Overlord and the formation bonus is a great way to play at that low level. And it gives you the over all feeling of how Necrons play.

But as you grow your forces the Battleforce is a great next buy along with two boxs of Praetorians and Tomb Blades gets you to a simple Decurion with the Judicator Battalion.

Offline Morphoes

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 12:26:39 PM »
The battleforce is 300$ i can't afford that as I'm working on a 150$ budget what would be best for that?

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 02:09:06 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Necron-Necrons-Battleforce-Games-Workshop/dp/B007BSIMGI

But, ebay had it still for over $200 so I guess it's just been too long now since the box went OOP and it'll be harder to find at MSRP.

Each one has good and bad points.  The Get Started box is a full army with the included Formation.  Build it, paint it, it's ready for the table.  But, if you add just one more unit, it's not longer a Battleforged Army.  The Battleforce is weaker in terms of day 1 gameplay since it is pretty much just the basics and it's not legal until you get a Lord as well, but it is closer to the army most Necron players want to run.  I like Draco's idea of the Get Started box first, then the Battleforce box when you get another $120.

Offline Morphoes

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 05:04:23 PM »
thanks I am going to go with Start Collecting then the Batttleforce

Offline Morphoes

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 08:39:36 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Necron-Necrons-Battleforce-Games-Workshop/dp/B007BSIMGI

But, ebay had it still for over $200 so I guess it's just been too long now since the box went OOP and it'll be harder to find at MSRP.

Each one has good and bad points.  The Get Started box is a full army with the included Formation.  Build it, paint it, it's ready for the table.  But, if you add just one more unit, it's not longer a Battleforged Army.  The Battleforce is weaker in terms of day 1 gameplay since it is pretty much just the basics and it's not legal until you get a Lord as well, but it is closer to the army most Necron players want to run.  I like Draco's idea of the Get Started box first, then the Battleforce box when you get another $120.
  What about buying a box of warriors an overlord and a conoptek spyder and work on a canoptek spyder