Author Topic: librarian dreads  (Read 1679 times)

Offline SailorCSN

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
librarian dreads
« on: June 10, 2016, 11:39:17 AM »
I am thinking of converting one and need some advice on running it. What is your experience with this HQ choice?
So many books, so many Burning questions.

Offline weboflies

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Keepers of the Relics of Ultramar
Re: librarian dreads
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 10:51:10 PM »
Is that even a thing? As far as I am aware that is not a thing. Do you mean Librarian Terminator?

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 01:58:10 AM »
It's a thing.  Blood Angels have Librarian Dreadnoughts.  You likely haven't heard of them because they're not good. 

I have literally nothing good to say about them and urge OP to consider a different HQ.  ANY different HQ.  Nothing like being 1-shotted by a Lascannon because you can't join a squad...  All the downsides of a Walker, none of the upsides of being an HQ option.

Offline SailorCSN

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 08:52:36 AM »
Just feeling nostalgic for Bjorn I suppose.

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 06:39:56 PM »
If you can make it look good, you should definitely convert it up though.  They are very cool ideas but they aren't even on par with vanilla Dreadnought stats in terms of the CC attacks.  BA Dreads, Fragioso in a pod is the exception, shouldn't see table time anyway so you're not missing out on anything.  But, as I said in your Baal Pred thread, BA are not light on anti-infantry and even the Furioso is just another in that cluttered role.  I never bothered painting mine up for that reason.

Offline Sensenbob

• Battle Brother
  • WHERE IS THE DEAFF COMPANYYY!?!?! :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 04:05:19 AM »
I second Sharks opinion - explodes/Immobilized result on a walker is just horrible, FuriosoLibby has no Squad to hide in!
Especially if you are looking for competitive games it probably isn't a wise choice.

Anyway some advice:
I recently used the Furioso Libby in  a few Friendly games and it was very Strong. The Force weapon hardcounters Monstrous Creatures which BA IMO have troubles killing.
However since the Furioso Libby is very fragile compared to its point cost, it can't afford to stand around for a turn where it can't charge. Basically it requires you to buy a Stormraven Gunsip to deliver it. This does two things for you:
1. Hopefully you get right into melee, best case against some MC which you onehit with Force at I 5
2. It keeps the Dread off the board for at least 2 turns, which you should use to remove enemy anti tank units that can easily kill it.

If the Stormraven goes down while the dread is inside, you're doomed :D
Great psychic powers for it IMO are:
Quickening (BA-Primaris, so safe to get... at least you get as many attacks as regular non-BA Dreads with it)
Electroshield (Fulmination if you roll a 1 - suddenly you have a super resilient Dread 3++)

Remember the Flibby is a character and can therefore issue Challenges!

Additionally i recommend running a second, normal Librarian alongside the Furioso since you get Warp Charges even if the Furioso is still inside the Stormraven and you may need more dice to reliably get off at least Force and Quickening the turn you go into melee with that damn Riptide you hate so much ;)
=Blood Angels=

Offline SailorCSN

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 05:32:16 PM »
Librarian Dreadnaught conversion. Works well for me now that the faq adds some attacks

Offline SailorCSN

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 05:35:26 PM »
I hide it behind a land raider with chainfist termies. Adds some dice and with sanguinary powers d3 I and A allong with force. This is a potential of 9 S10 force weapon attacks at I 9 on the charge with the Baal Strike Force. Nice