Author Topic: Where to expand?  (Read 4031 times)

Offline Number6

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Where to expand?
« on: June 12, 2016, 12:36:43 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some recommendations on how to expand my Dark Angels army.  I purchased the Dark Vengance set a few years ago, and have been slowly painting and building my DA forces.  I picked up a few extra DV units from Chaos players selling off the Imperium forces.  Thus far I have:

1 Librarian
2 Company Masters
4 Seargents
Co Champion Zameon Gadrael (Deathwatch Overkill box)
15 Tactical Marines
5 Scout Snipers
1 Mk1 Whirlwind (can proxy as rhino)
1 Razorback/Rhino
6 Ravenwing bikers (2x DV set)
10 Deathwing Terminators (2x DV box)

I have been thinking that I am lacking Flyers, but have been reading they aren't that great with the DA.  I don't have a lot to spend and am trying to find the best bang for my buck.  I'm also tempted to just pick up some more tactical marines, but am trying to make an informed choice. 

So, I am curious, if this was what you had to work with as a DA player, what would you add to it?  Most players in my area like to play 1800-2000 point games. 

Thank you for your input

N6

EDIT: I should add, I also have the Betrayal at Calth boxed set. and am painting up one side as 30K DA.  So, I might be able to proxy some of the 30K DA as 40K marines. 

« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 02:16:43 PM by Number6 »

Offline SailorCSN

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Where to expand?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 02:50:52 PM »
Hello number6, I think that if you want to play DA then play the units that make DA different.
So many books, so many Burning questions.

Offline Grubthak

• Initiate
  • Fear is the mind-killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 04:25:54 PM »
From what I can see from your list you have a pretty solid starting point.
  • However you don't have many troops so I'd recommend some more tactical marines and to max out the scout squad.
  • Also you should have transports for your marines (the rhino and whirlwind proxy should work fine but you will need more in the future).
  • Lastly I would get devastators in a drop pod. This is just my personal preference but it works well. 

Hope that helps!

Recite the Litany of Stealth to decrease your chances of being heard.

Offline Number6

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 04:20:19 PM »
Thanks for the input. I had thought about devastators, but wasn't sure.  Looking at it, I think I'll pick up another squad of tac's and a rhino just to bulk up.  Then down the road, maybe pick up the Devastators and drop pod. 

Offline Grubthak

• Initiate
  • Fear is the mind-killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 09:56:34 PM »
Sounds like a solid way to go!
Best of luck with your hobby endeavors!
Recite the Litany of Stealth to decrease your chances of being heard.

Offline Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 06:25:13 AM »
Bulk up with some more tactical marines, they will give you a good anchor to use your other units. I'd also look to add more bikes, they are good in the game, and you can build up a good base to play around with runing multi-wing- a bit of deathwing and a bit of ravenwing.

Offline SailorCSN

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 09:13:04 AM »
The real question is how many plasma weapons can I fit into a list?DA are like the Silver Surfer, all about fun in the sun

Offline tombranstetter

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 10:58:59 AM »
i agree with the more tacticals in your list...but, for that price you can get a whole other da,dv set on ebay, giving u 3 more bikes 5 more terminators and more hq...anong with the tacs

Offline SailorCSN

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 02:15:30 PM »
Running a full battle company is a great way to cover all of the bases and do well in the tournaments

Offline Dark Librarian

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 09:07:11 AM »
I'm a formations guy. The lionsblade formation is a great formation to build upon. You could do a 1500 point lionsblade detachment  including a Ravenwing attack squadron, battle Demi company and deathwing redemption force which is ultra fluffy as all wings are included and has worked for me 7 times out of 10 when playing it. For this you'd have to buy:
A librarian in terminator armour
A devastator squad
An assault squad
A land speeder or land speeder vengeance.
This would all cost a lot if you were buying it new but I'm sure you can find a lot of cheap bits on eBay. I buy all of mine new but I spread the cost and buy 1 unit per month. Whatever you decide I hope you get a lot of joy from your battles as a son of the lion :)

Online Goblinchow

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 05:30:16 AM »
I'm a bit late here, but I am doing the same thing.  I got DV for my Birthday, and a few other kits for Father's day.  I also picked up a few used bits for both the Chaos and Dark Angels.  I have the basic equivalent of two DV sets, minus the commanders.  (Plus a third set of the bikes), along with a few other extra goodies.  (Mostly boxed sets that I got for Father's day) 

My Dark Angels consists of

Two ten man tactical squads, equipped right out of DV

Two Deathwing Terminator squads, again, right out of DV

Three Ravenwing bike squads, equipped out of the DV, but they will be combined into two squads of four and five with a bit of re arming to make them legal.

The Company Master and Librarian from the DV set.

One Rhino, which might be upgraded to a razorback or whirlwind.

One drop pod which is still in primer...  and has no doors for right now!

On the very busy workbench is a Deathwing Command squad, which I will probably assemble as Knights, and a Space Marines Stormtalon that I haven't taken the shrink wrap off of yet.  (That will have to be run as an ally, since DA don't have Stormtalons.)  Somewhere on the way to me in the mail is a Dark Angels Battleforce boxed set.  That has a landspeeder, a Command bike squadron, and an assault bike.  The assault bike will drop right into one of the existing bike squadrons.  The landspeeder may not work well alone, so it will probably be a shelf queen until I find some cheap partners for it to fly with. 

I got the Battleforce box to add to the speed and attack capabilities that makes DA so much fun to play.  My army lives on an oversize card table (3 1/2' x 5')  with some cardboard terrain, staring down the Chaos Space Marines at the other end of the table.  Some nights, I find a partner and we choose sides and go at it, other times, I just play both sides and let the dice fall where they may.  I will be beefing up the CSM as well, so they can still have a fair fight.  One of the armies might end up playing a few games at a local shop in the distant future, but I can't leave the house long enough to travel and play on any kind of regular basis.  I will be interested to hear what you did, and how well it has worked.

My future plans involve the Knights, and the Stormtalon  (Which will probably hit the table just in time to defend against the Heldrake that came in the same box!)  I also might upgrade with another landspeeder, if I can find a cheap one.  I will also plan to add another Tactical squad or two and another Deathwing Terminator squad.  I will also be keeping my eye out for another Rhino and probably a Razorback and Land Raider in the future.  These will depend upon getting ones I can rebuild, restore or convert on the cheap. 

I might look for cheap devastators too...

Have fun hunting down those fallen! 

Offline Charley359

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 06:11:34 PM »
Like all the other comments, I would have to say add some more  tactical squads and a devastator squad or two if you can. 

I have a fairly large DA army that's nearly 8000 points.  For the greenwing part of it.  I have 3-10 men tactical squads that I can break down to 6-5 men units.  I also have 22 veterans I can mix in to give me more tac squads if need be.  As far as Devastators go, I have 2-5 men squads right now with 4 lascannons in one and 4 missile launchers in the other.  I'm debating if I want to build another one but mix up the weapons and make sure at least 1 or 2 of the weapons is the Grav cannon.  I already have Heavy Bolter's and Plasma Cannons mixed in as part of my veteran squads.  So the Grav Cannon is the only heavy weapon I don't field at the moment. 

As long as the Devastator Squad can be protected they are a nasty long range threat to my opponent.   I myself prefer to run the lascannon squad since that's their strongest weapon.  But when I played in apocalypse games I have both dev. squads in my force. 

Another cheap troop choice is to get a scout team and equip it with sniper rifles and put it in terrain.  For about 80-90 points you get some 4-36" range attackers using sniper rifles and your sgt is using a 48" range missile launcher.   

The rest of my greenwing army includes a command squad, 2-5 men assault squads, 2-5 men scout squads, 3 predators, 3 rhinos, 3 dreadnoughts, razorback, drop pod, land raider and the DV leadership characters: Company Master Balthasar, Librarian Turmiel, I-C Seraphicus.   

As far as expanding the rest of the chapter.  From looking at what you have, I would seriously consider getting either Sammael's jetbike or buy a generic landspeeder along with the DA upgrade pack.  It allows you to change a normal land speeder tornado is Sammael's with twin assault cannons and twin heavy bolters.  You also get his 14 front and side defense on either model.  Having it join your Ravenwing and maybe a landspeeder typhoon with its 48" range would give you some very strong support for you bikers. 

My RW consists or a 5 bike command squad, 2-6 bike squads, 6 bike black knight squad, 3 assault bikes, LS Tornado, LS Typhoon, Sam's LS, Sam's jetbike, Dark Talon and I have both a I-C and a Lib. on RW bikes.  I like it when I have ran a mixed RW/DW army so having a strong presence of both has been good to me in the past.   

For a Deathwing addition, get another terminator squad and make it all close combat with TH/SS's.  Maybe getting Beliel and run him as the model shows are run him with a TH/SS and attach him to the unit.  If you also have the funds consider getting a land raider crusader and run it forward full of DW and have them assault out of it. 

My DW consists of a knight squad, command squad, 4 DW squads, Venerable Dreadnought, Beliel, land raider crusader and both a I-C and Lib in termie armor. 

Otherwise look for a cheap Azrael and Ezekiel to get.  Azrael is points expensive but is a beast to take down and Ezekiel is your level 3 psyker.  A couple of very good choices for your HQ choice.  These two and Sammael are probably the best three HQ choices right now for DA.   I also have Asmodai, but I prefer a standard I-C over him. 

Offline Number6

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 02:45:00 PM »
Thanks again for all the replies.  I am still building the army, and this thread is a good way to keep on track.  I am still adding tacticals, but also picked up a Veterans set, since they were just cool models.  I like the idea of a librarian in terminator armour, I was also going to kitbash a Ravenwing Librarian for fun.  Devastators are still on the list.  Some pics of my table, and slowly growing armies:  (DA is my primary, but I have collected a bit of Chaos as well as Harlequins  Thinking of trading or selling off my Chaos units for more DA though)

« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 02:50:46 PM by Number6 »

Online Nightwing7x

• Battle Brother
  • A moment of laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 06:00:30 PM »
Looks like progress is moving man keep up the good work son of the Lion.

Addressing your idea of the librarians in terminator armor and on a bike those are very solid choices. First the terminator, if you can get 1 more terminator squad and the librarian then you can have a Deathwing Redemption force and has amazing synergy with the Ravenwing. Second the librarian on a bike, all you need is 2 fast attack choices for Ravenwing and the librarian then BAM you now have a Ravenwing Strike Force, meaning even greater synergy between your models for Ravenwing and Deathwing, which can take the fight to your enemy while the Greenwing you have holds back to grab objectives, so a demi company with the two other aforementioned Ravenwing and Deathwing and you get yourself a  Lion's Blade Strike Force.

Hope this helps.
  • Dark Angels

Offline Number6

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2016, 07:31:42 AM »
Thanks again for everyone's help.  I picked up another Razorback/Rhino and now have two built, so transports are a little better.

I also picked up a box of Devastators, and am looking for thoughts on equipping them.  As DA, I am thinking at least 2 Plasma cannons (I can move my heavy from the tac squad for a possible third.) I am debating how to equip the other two in the set and the Sergent.  I was thinking heavy bolters for the two, and am not sure of what I want for the sergent (power fist?).  They will be going in a Drop Pod (my next purchase).  I also have enough missile launchers from other kits to equip 4, but was thinking the plasma was more DA. 

I'll add, that I still only have the 6th edition codex, so I am behind on some changes.  I will most likely pick up the 7th in the next few weeks.   

Again, thank you for all your help,

N6
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 07:34:26 AM by Number6 »