Author Topic: Get started box tourney  (Read 1630 times)

Offline SteelRain

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Get started box tourney
« on: July 29, 2016, 04:28:12 PM »
Hi all, my local store is having a tourney using starter boxes, no points limit but only whats in the box. I've chosen nids, I've got a Tyrant, 3 warriors, and 10 gargoyles. How should I equip them for this tourney? Keep in mind all starter boxes are in play, so I may have to Crack a Lemen Russ, Dreds, Other Tyrants, etc.

Offline SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Get started box tourney
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 05:11:33 AM »
Flyrant is obviously the best choice.  Proxy some Devourers or do some customization on warrior arms if you must, but they're the wrong size.  Carnifex Devourer arms are the right size for the sockets.  Two sets of them.  Wings and Haywire template which is never represented on the model.  Since there's no points limit, go crazy.  So much of the Nid stuff isn't represented on the model.  Fighter Ace is a big one to grab from the White Dwarf or supplement, which ever you have on hand.  Norn Crown, toxic blood, really, go nuts.

Warriors may as well get sword and whip and Deathspitters.  Add every upgrade available to them, and there's many.  Nids are the most mutable, but it costs an arm and a leg, so people don't do it.  You don't have that issue it seems, so make them regret no point restrictions.  The tournament shouldn't be a big challenge that way.

If you can, add more Warriors.  If it's JUST started box contents then oh well, but if you can bump that brood up, do it.  And make them look nice because unless you magnetize, you'll never use these models in the configuration you'll have them in again.  It's hugely wasteful but Warriors are not in a good place otherwise.

Offline Meros

• Brother Captain
  • Part dæmon and proud of it.
    • View Profile
    • My Horus Heresy blog
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 05:21:22 PM »
Can you take a Tyrannocyte? They're outside the force org chart (so not an actual DT). Would be good to drop the warriors in and then cause additional damage.
http://Www.the-newzealand-wordbearer.blogspot.co.nz
My Horus Heresy blog.

We are all minions of the dark gods, one part in their great game

Offline SteelRain

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 05:34:04 PM »
I can take anything i can make out of the box and that's it. Was mainly looking for input on weapons and upgrades for flyrant and warriors, flyrant I can only take venom, barbed strangler, sword & whip, Talons. Warriors I could make one a prime but rending claws, talons, venom, sword & whip, spinefists, devourer, barbed strangler, deathspitter. Those are pretty much my options. I'm considering taking the upgrade for outflank and melee warriors but I'm not sure yet.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 06:23:13 AM »
Make the swarm Lord, and make use of his special rules, like dishing out preferred enemy on a separate unit. With a big beast like him, not many things included in the start collecting boxes can contend. For the warriors, I would suggest a venom cannon, death spitters or spine fists,  rending claws, toxin sacks, fleshhooks, adrenal glands, and acid blood if you can give it to em, I don't remember if they can take regeneration, but take it if they can. Gargoyles should always always always always always always take toxin sacks. Their blinding venom is just amazing. Adrenal glands on those guys as well. With those options in mind you should have a solid ground force that should hold up under most circumstances.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.