Author Topic: What should I pick up next?  (Read 711 times)

Online Leftovers44

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
What should I pick up next?
« on: August 28, 2016, 10:31:43 AM »
I got the old space wolves battleforce box from years ago and I am looking to actually expand my space wolves a little more. If you don't know the battle force box came with a group of 5 scouts, a droppod, and 20 bloodclaws or grey hunters whatever you wanted to model/use them as.

I am thinking the next things to pick up is the start collecting box, a dreadnought, a wolf for the lord to mount and some rhinos/razorbacks for the troops.

Do you guys know of any other models or better deals I should be looking at picking up instead?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 01:16:33 PM by Leftovers44 »

Offline ANevskyUSA

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: What should I pick up next?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 08:09:06 AM »
I guess it depends on what you want to do with your army.  Are you playing competitively, for the narrative, because you just want to hang out with friends?  You have so little right now that you could take your army into any direction.  One thing you might want to think about is whether you prefer Space Wolves as vikings in spaaace or you prefer 40k team Jacob.  If the former, consider that Wolf Guard terminators give you a lot of mix and match capability within a squad, and that you get a lot of cool weapon options on your dreadnoughts.  I myself have an all dreadnought army with a single Iron Priest that I call my "Warcaster" just to annoy people in the Games Workshop store.  While expensive the Space Wolf flyers are pretty good on the table.  You could also try going hero heavy by using MSU's of Blood Claws and Grey Hunters each accompanied by an IC using the Wolves Unleashed detachment in the basic codex.  If you like the furry stuff, Thunderwolf cavalry is always a good choice and it is de riguer to buff up the squad with an Iron Priest on a Thunderwolf accompanied by some cyberwolves.  If you do this, consider using the Co. of the Great Wolf detachment out of the Champs. of Fenris codex supplement for the +1WS.  The new Wulfen models are out, and while they have the potential to do a lot of damage, they are actually a bit fragile and I see them as a unit good for buffing up your other units; they are also an Elites choice, so if you use the Co. of the great Wolf detachment, they can fill in your mandatory elite slots while buffing your thunderwolves.

You may also want to consider building towards a particular formation, since you do not already have a lot of money invested.  The Blackmanes formation from Warzone: Fenris gets you free drop pods so you might want to consider getting more drop pods and regular infantry to do the the drop pod assault thing.  These drop pods could then be used for venerable dreadnoughts with axes and shields if you want to do the warjack thing in a later round of purchases.  I personally think  that this is the way to go because infantry and dreadnoughts are still useful if you later decide that you want to try a shooty-style army whereas Thunderwolf cavalry or wulfen will kind of lock you into playing an assault army.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 08:13:57 AM by ANevskyUSA »

Online Leftovers44

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
Re: What should I pick up next?
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 06:57:39 AM »
This is a ton of stuff I never exactly considered. Mostly it would to play with friends so it wouldn't be a WAAC army.

I got more into the spaces wolves for the wolves part of it because they are kind of lik dogs and dogs are great. The space viking stuff is a cool bonus. I am not a whole fan of the werewolf thing from the wulfen.

The start collecting box seems like a mostly gooe option because it has a formation for the units in it as well a ton of stuff for value. And with the models i have it seems like a solid core to the army. I should look into those formations in the newer books before probably getting anything else.