Author Topic: Grey Knight second look?  (Read 3339 times)

Offline Sadclown

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Grey Knight second look?
« on: September 01, 2016, 06:22:59 PM »
So with the release of Deathwatch and how excited everyone is, I was wondering if any of you have taken a second look at Grey Knights.

It seems there are some tricksie tactics that could be used to get purifiers into combat turn 1, and abuse mind bullet shooting purgation squads with slow and purposeful from Cataphractii Terminator Captains, (the mind bullets would be for bypassing FnP on deathstars with multi-wound trash models).

It just seems silly that people are excited to pay 22 points base for Deathwatch Veterans but still look at Grey Knight PA as garbage.

Offline SidjostromPrimarch DCLXVI

• Battle Brother
  • Preaching Word of The Dark Gods since 007 M31.
    • View Profile
Re: Grey Knight second look?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 09:39:58 AM »
I think the deathwatch despite having very good alpha strike potential are even more squishy than GK because of their high points cost, I would however consider bringing them as allies for GK in order to use the angelus beacon and have the entire GK terminator army come down no scatter (would have to pull some reserve shenanigans though).
  • Chaos Space Marines, Grey Knights, Officio Assassinorum

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 05:55:04 PM »
Deathwatch only look as good as they do because of the special issue ammunition. Purgation squads with a cataphractii captain does have some appeal though. I havent looked at my GK book in a while, how does mind bullet work again? Also can purgation squads deepstrike like strike squads or do they have to start on the table like purifiers?
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Kvekan

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 07:41:43 AM »
I really doubt deathwatch will be a hit competatively. It was always going to be a more fluffy release which I am all for. They still die just like any old tactical marine.
"For those we cherish, we die in glory" ...And we die a lot.

Offline Sadclown

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 06:28:17 PM »
Psilenscers are Str 4 AP - Heavy 6, Force. If you successfully cast Force, any unsaved wound causes instant death. Considering the prevalence of MCs and GMCs it is suprising that the game's only shooting force weapon isn't being abused.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 10:26:17 PM »
Back when I played my grey knights I used a grandmaster with the soul glaive  and psylencer and 5 paladins with two psylencers. 18 shots with instant death would do pretty well in current meta I think. Death stars that use feel no pain would drop,  make use of the psychic powers to add rending, negate cover, force reroll of saves. 
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline LordPathos

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 06:12:13 PM »
Amy I just blind or do Incinerators not hold much of a spot either? I've been looking at a lot of videos from different ppl and it seems that Psycannons are the only weapons brought.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 01:16:37 AM »
The only incinerator that I know sees play is the dread knight incinerator because it has torrent. I see some incinerators on strike squads and interceptor squads too, but few and far between.

Offline Sadclown

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 08:14:23 PM »
The tacitic I was considering was shunting forward Interceptors and then swapping them with Purifiers using Electrodisplacement to get them into combat turn 1.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 11:23:20 PM »
Wow, that's dirty. I'd do that to get purifiers into combat and watch em tear stuff up.

Offline Meros

• Brother Captain
  • Part dæmon and proud of it.
    • View Profile
    • My Horus Heresy blog
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2016, 03:53:50 AM »
The tacitic I was considering was shunting forward Interceptors and then swapping them with Purifiers using Electrodisplacement to get them into combat turn 1.

Relying on powers is iffy but that could work.
http://Www.the-newzealand-wordbearer.blogspot.co.nz
My Horus Heresy blog.

We are all minions of the dark gods, one part in their great game

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 07:55:01 PM »
Right now, Deathwatch has two main advantages over Grey Knights:

1. Storm Shields. This is crucial. AP3, AP2, and Strength D shooting is at an all time high. While DW Librarians strangely cannot take Storm Shields, their Captains, Veterans, Vanguard Veterans, and Terminators can. For GK, only Draigo has a Storm Shield

2. The Psycannon was a pretty good all-around weapon until it switched to salvo. That hurt the Power Armored GK. Meanwhile, DW got the Fragcannon which is good against pretty much everything and is an assault weapon.

Deathwatch formations grant a nice boost but aren't game changers. Same could be said for the Nemesis Strike Force. So, they're pretty even their.

If GK get "assault from Deep Strike", that would be a game changer. Because GK feel like they really want to be an assault army with all of those Force weapons poking around.

Offline LordPathos

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 07:02:32 PM »
I'm all about theatrical lists when it comes to my armies and this keeps me away from the meta. For GK, I really want a Grand Master to lead the charge, but even I cannot deny how good the Librarians are. I never thought of running more than one, but with the extra psychic powers they can now use, I'm considering getting a second. Too bad a Grand Master and 2 Librarians is soooo many points.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 07:12:59 AM by LordPathos »

Offline Dirty Harry

• Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2016, 09:08:04 AM »
To mitigate the GK lack of storms yields, why not take Libby conclave? Several librarians in terminator armor with storm shields and force weapons mesh well with spells like sanctuary and hammerhand.

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2016, 09:01:29 PM »
"To mitigate the GK lack of storms yields, why not take Libby conclave? Several librarians in terminator armor with storm shields and force weapons mesh well with spells like sanctuary and hammerhand."

Fair point. I've used that with other armies but not GK. And it appears that 1st Turn Deep Strike with the Nemesis formation would still work. On the plus side, Librarians would add more psychic dice and if they were Librarius Conclave, they would be more reliable. On the downside, GK don't particularly need more psykers so it's a rather expensive way to get storm shields. Even so, with a good plan, could be pretty effective.