Author Topic: New to necrons. Advice?  (Read 2521 times)

Offline Lord Mogerleigh

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
New to necrons. Advice?
« on: September 02, 2016, 10:16:16 PM »
Hey guys. As the subject says... new to necrons and I need some help. I'm starting fresh here so we're pretty much wide open. Was thinking about getting the "start collecting" box and a second pack of warriors to start... then some immortals, tomb blades and praetorians to make it legal... where would a guy go from there? Or is this even a good place to start? Any advice appreciated
"K" is for "Khârnage".

Offline maelstorm

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: New to necrons. Advice?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 11:26:30 PM »
Build up the base Decurion and go from there.  Please share photos!

HQ - Nemesor Z (so many options!)
10 Immortals with Gauss
  Night Scythe
20+ Warriors
6 Tomb Blades with Particle Beamers
6 Wraiths with Whip Coils - build them upside down for a Scorpion look and no tipping.
6 Scarab bases (3 per base)
1 Spyder

I love the rules for Flayed Ones, but despise the Failcast sculpts - find 10-20 of the old metals online...
If you can find them, run them!

In early lists you can skip the Ark and Scythe.  I rarely use any vehicles except Tomb Blades in any list.  Why give Mellta, Lance, Grav and Lascannons a hard target....?  :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 11:31:24 PM by maelstorm »

Offline Lord Mogerleigh

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 06:42:19 AM »
Awesome, thanks. What do u think about deathmarks? They look good on paper to me... and At 90pts they could add a little deeps strike shenanigans without breaking the bank. 

"K" is for "Khârnage".

Offline Meros

• Brother Captain
  • Part dĉmon and proud of it.
    • View Profile
    • My Horus Heresy blog
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 03:59:58 AM »
Awesome, thanks. What do u think about deathmarks? They look good on paper to me... and At 90pts they could add a little deeps strike shenanigans without breaking the bank.

Deathmarks are pretty crap TBH, they have practically no AP, rending doesn't do enough and that's 90 points not on cheap as tomb blades or more warriors with a 4+++ RP.

2 Ghost arks with 2 groups of 10 warriors and then maybe a 20 if you have points or a 3rd ark with 10 warriors. 10 immortals in a scythe, tomb blades and then your pick of other stuff.

In small(ish) games if you feel like it, get a Tesseract Vault and just rush it into your opponent, it'll do damage and if they kill it it'll always explode as big as possible. Distraction incarnate.

The canopteks are nice, also praetorians and their formation make for really good anti-terminator if that's an issue for you. Ap2 jump rods + ap combat is great, just don't charge lighting claw termies unless they've been shot to bits first and you have numbers on them.

Hope some of this rapid ramble helps
http://Www.the-newzealand-wordbearer.blogspot.co.nz
My Horus Heresy blog.

We are all minions of the dark gods, one part in their great game

Offline Lord Mogerleigh

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 12:04:55 AM »
Great thanks. I think I have a solid purchase/build plan right up to 2000 pts starting with the "start collecting" box. Lol.
"K" is for "Khârnage".

Offline maelstorm

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 10:38:52 PM »
My 1500 point Highlander ("There can be only one, except troops") tournament list looks like:

Decurion Detachement
Nemesor Zehndrekh
10 Immortals (Body Guard)
15 Warriors
15 Warriors
10 Tomb Blades Nebuloscope, Particle Beamer and Shield Vane (these do ALL of your heavy lifting - eliminate a unit per turn, ignoring cover, even Terminators.  Then they move 36" to score)

Canoptek Harvest
6x Canoptek Wraiths w/Whip Coils (scary unit)
5x Canoptek Scarab Bases  (save and build as a nasty late-game surprise assault unit)
1x Canoptek Spyder (keep within 12" of the Wraiths.  Hide, this is a prime target)

Flayed Ones
10x Flayed Ones (40 attacks normally, 50 attacks on the charge).  Deep strike or Infiltrate.  I've used them as Deep Strike reserves with excellent results.

I don't use any vehicles or flyers, invalidating all of my opponents most expensive (points-wise) weapons.  For a non-Highlander game, I would split the tomb blades into 2 units.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 11:30:46 PM by maelstorm »

Offline Lord Mogerleigh

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 11:34:56 PM »
Great thanks guys. :-)
"K" is for "Khârnage".

Offline Lord Mogerleigh

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 07:40:48 PM »
Bow would u build at 1850 and 2k? That's our "house standard".  :-)
"K" is for "Khârnage".

Offline maelstorm

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 12:39:13 AM »
At 1850 take 3 units of 5 Tomb Blades and add another Canpotek Harvest formation.

Decurion Detachement
  Nemesor Zehndrekh
  10 Immortals (Body Guard)
  15 Warriors
  15 Warriors
   5 Tomb Blades Nebuloscope, Particle Beamer and Shield Vanes

Canoptek Harvest
  5x Canoptek Scarab Bases  (save and build as a nasty late-game surprise assault unit)
  1x Canoptek Spyder (keep within 12" of the Wraiths.  Hide, this is a prime target)

Canoptek Harvest
  5x Canoptek Scarab Bases  (save and build as a nasty late-game surprise assault  unit)

At 2,000 add a Night Scythe to the list above.

Remember, the Tomb Blades can do an impressive amount of heavy lifting (Strength 6, Ignores cover) and scoring.  Keep them 23.5" away (24" weapon range) from the enemy unless you are using their 36" jetbike move to score...

If you add vehicles you are justifying all of your opponents heavy weapon purchases.  Without vehicles, every model ignores wounds with 4+ reanimation protocols, even the Scarabs!!  <lol>
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 11:25:57 PM by maelstorm »

Offline Lord Mogerleigh

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 12:43:14 AM »
Thanks for all the help guys. Man, this list looks like a lot of fun... and incorporates the models that I was wanting to build too. :-)

Side note... I built my first warrior tonight. Was a lot of fun... easy to paint... but man is it hard to pose them. Lol. Building a nihilakh dynasty army in case anybody was wondering... love that turquoise and gold.
"K" is for "Khârnage".