Author Topic: To bring a Ravenwing Attack Squad or not to bring a Ravenwing Attack Squad?  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Nightwing7x

• Battle Brother
  • A moment of laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy.
    • View Profile
Hello all of my Dark Angels brethren today I have an interesting question for all of you in the community. Today I would like to discuss whether or not to be using a Ravenwing Attack Squad in my DA army?

I normally play at 1500 points and find myself using the Lion's Blade with a core of Greenwing to hold objectives, Ravenwing to harass and summon the Deathwing, then lastly the Deathwing to hunt down and capture the fallen whom I happen to come across, also they take down what needs to die, example space marine command squad with a captain.

However the reason I ask this question is because almost every game I play now a days my Ravenwing seem to be dying by turn 2 or 3, and I cannot get the same use out of them as I use to, maybe this is just because I normally play games against my friend who does Ultra Smurfs and uses Tigurius who is always rolling on geokeneis, always gets phase form, and a grav centurion squad in a land raider. This is what my opponent will use to just say no more Ravenwing and then proceed to destroy everything else because everything dies before it can even fight back.

The current solution to this I have come up with is to just combat squad the Ravenwing, as I normally use a full 6 man squad with 2 grav guns + an attack bike with multi melta and then the Landspeeder with an assault cannon, heavy bolter. But even when I do this my forces appear to spread out to have an impact. Alternatively I could try and use technomancy on a Librarian leading my Deathwing and come down near some bikes to stop the land raider which would hinder Tigurius' movement, but I feel this not a good solution either. Other than this maybe I could try and drop the Devastator Squad from the demi company in a drop pod with all grav cannons.

So please my fellow Dark Angels players and other people in general I ask for your advice on the matter. Please do let me know if you need more information such as my list for example.

Offline Charley359

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: To bring a Ravenwing Attack Squad or not to bring a Ravenwing Attack Squad?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 11:58:44 PM »
Since the latest codes and tactical cards game out I have had plenty of success with having a Ravenwing unit or two in my force.  They have always been part of a combination RW/GW/DW army.   I also seem to be having more success with RW in my force when the tactic cards are being used in games/tourney's then I did in using them in earlier revisions.   

One of my bike squads is very similar to yours in description.   Now I like to hide them behind other units/terrain features so they can't be attacked first until their needed the most to disrupt or stop an attack. Also I'm getting very good dice rolls for them to survive when attacked.  Watch the next time I run them I probably will get a lots of 1's on the dice rolls. 

While I do have assault cannon land speeders, its my land speeder typhoon which does see the most play.  I find that their missiles are a better weapons choice to damage my opponents.  They stay behind the line of scrimmage to shoot so it offsets their major weakness of having paper thin armor since they can get taken out pretty easily.  Just like my lascannon and missile launcher devastator squads. 

While the typhoon is good, I have not ran any standard landspeeder much lately.  I normally just run a bike squad & assault bike and if I add a land speeder it's Sammael's and he is one of my HQ choices.  His 14 armor makes it a lot easier for him to survive.  Both his landspeeder and jetbike see lots of play as one of my HQ units.  They are one of my top three HQ choices when I build an army.

Offline Nightwing7x

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Thank you for the help my COMPLETELY LOYAL BATTLE BROTHER.

Looking more into my situation I think my problem is both dice rolls, as my dice can be the most bipolar thing imaginable, as an example in the same game i passed 14/15 iron halo saves against a volley of grav cannons and 7/9 terminator invuln saves against a volley of grav cannons, but my units could not wound to save their lives. And my other problem is my tactics commonly I will find myself playing kill point games as previously stated and just getting destroyed even when I do play objective games though I often find myself losing as my opponent will just throw as much grav as he can at me backed by ignores cover from Tigurius (I am thinking about getting Ezekiel to help with this). But as far as a solution I can come up with for this predicament I am in is that I should outflank my Ravenwing that way my opponent cannot attack them right off the bat or maybe try and build the unit for close combat to deal with the centurions (even though that is the Black Knights job, there is no way to take them in a Lion's Blade, which I use all the time) or have an assault squad trail not to far behind with a chaplain/interrogator.

However once again thank you for your help brother.

Offline Nightwing7x

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Another alternative I just thought of would be a Culexus Assassin to just make a bubble of no more psychic powers.