Author Topic: Is Castallan Crowe worth it?  (Read 1867 times)

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Lakey Wargames Youtube Page
Is Castallan Crowe worth it?
« on: September 22, 2016, 02:39:12 PM »
Hey guys, so I've been reading over my GK book. I haven't really given them much love in a long time since the Draigo star ruled everything.

I have been looking into vamping up my GK force into a slightly more competitive army. I have seen that lots of Purifier squads running about casting as much Cleansing flame powers as possible is a good way to go and of course a ML3 Librarian is always a good choice to add to the physic might.

I have seen alot of people also mention using Castallan Crowe in such a force. Of course being "Champion of the order of Purifiers" it would make sense fluffy wise. The main reason people take him is because he comes with Cleansing flame as stock and thus giving you another chance to cast the awesome nova power that is it but I'm having a hard time trying to justify paying 175 points just to get a single cleaning flamer power...

I know that he has an amazing WS8 and I6! But then is stuck with "The blade of Antwyre" he is S4 AP- in combat and only has two wounds... A Librarian turned into ML3 with the "Domina Liber Daemonica" is only 160pts and then has a 4/6 chance of getting cleansing flame. (5/6 if you count the chance with the possible WL trait) And is a much more powerful physic character with more than 1 trick up his sleeve.

Am I missing something with Castallan Crowe? Is there more to this man than a 175pt Cleansing flame?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 02:42:36 PM by Lakey Wargames »
Please checkout Lakey Wargames over on Youtube for all kinds of tutorials, discussions, lets builds and more! :)

Lakey Wargames Youtube:
 https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgqSruhp2yl2gyqhiTuSrEA

Offline Kvekan

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Is Castallan Crowe worth it?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 05:01:25 PM »
He has smash because of his stances, so he's actually AP2, and his other stance allows him to reroll all his armor saves, so 2+ rerollable unless facing AP2. Easy to miss, but makes him much much better.
"For those we cherish, we die in glory" ...And we die a lot.

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 05:18:38 PM »
Ah yes! I forgot about the stances. Smash is pretty nice, gives him the ability to hit something hard with S10 aswell if needed. Only downside to the stances is they are challenges only but seeing as he always has to issue or accept I suppose this will mean he will be in a challenge 9/10 times thus benefiting from the stances more often than not which is nice. :) 
Please checkout Lakey Wargames over on Youtube for all kinds of tutorials, discussions, lets builds and more! :)

Lakey Wargames Youtube:

Offline mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 06:49:44 AM »
The issue is getting cleaning flames off. Let's say you have 4 units worth cleansing flame.  In order to successfully cast one you really need to roll 5 dice per cleansing flame as you need at least 2 successes. 
1 flame = 5 dice
2 flame = 10 dice
3 flame = 15 dice etc

That's not counting other powers like sanctuary that you really need to get off. So in reality, you cannot have multiple cleansing flames because of the dice needed to get them off. But having 2 well placed ones can cause all sorts of damage.

I think it's better to have 2 units with cleansing flame like the librarian and do a risky Deep strike with an inquisitor with servo skulls and make him a psyker and give him psychic shriek if you can.

Second unit would be a purifier unit with 2 incinerators, falchions, hammers in a Stormraven. There is nothing like dropping then into x unit that is cleansing flamed, then incinerated then charged.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 07:05:15 AM by mcphro »

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 03:23:24 PM »
That is a very good way of putting it. Thanks for the perspective mcphro! :)

It would be best to focus more on getting as many WCs as possible and allow a couple of units cast cleansing flame in decent positions rather than lots of units who can possibly cast it but not have the dice to get the power off for the most part.

With this in mind I think a unit of Purifiers would be more beneficial than  Castallan Crowe for the points. Backing then up with the Libby  or two for more WCs.   

Lakey Wargames Youtube:

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 05:51:24 AM »
Crowe is absolutely my favorite character from the grey knights fluff. Sadly I've only taken him in one game, but I will say, he is a challenge BEAST. Glad they at least improved upon him when they updated the grey knights codex, just disappointing to see the only way I like playing purifiers os via land raider redeemer.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 05:20:26 PM »
He kind of reminds me of the Emperors champion for Black Templars. So much awesome fluff love, epic looking model but sadly only so so on the table. :( 

Lakey Wargames Youtube:

Offline Mr. Sinji

• Brother Captain
  • I have been collecting and playing 40k since 1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 06:12:26 AM »
Crowe and Purifiers need a cheap reliable delivery system.

Drop Pods are amazing but have no access to them. If they did I could some strong GK builds.

The other good option would be to give them Deep Stike. Fluff wise that would fit in with the Grey Knights and they wouldn't need to include Drop Pods in the GK codex.