Author Topic: 1500 points for tournament,Submitted for peer review  (Read 1571 times)

Offline DanielBonke

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
1500 points for tournament,Submitted for peer review
« on: October 10, 2016, 12:36:15 PM »
This list is for a 1500 point tournament with standard eternal war missions.
Please tell me what you think, any advice or criticism would be welcome.
This is a MSU force built with durability afforded from a decurion in mind.

Decurion,reclamation legion:
Zahndrekh-150
5x Immortals-85
10x Warriors-130
10x Warriors-130
4x Tomb Blades,shield vanes,scopes-88
5x Tomb Blades,shield vanes,scopes,particle blasters-120

Destroyer Cult:
Destroyer Lord,warscythe-130
4x Destroyers-160
3x Destroyers-120
3x Destroyers-120
3x Heavy Destroyers-150

Flayed Ones:
9x Flayed Ones-117

Online Draco765

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: 1500 points for tournament,Submitted for peer review
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 03:49:36 PM »
Very similar to a 1650 build for an upcoming tournament.

Not a fan of Particle Blasters myself (I always seem to roll high on the scatter), but at 5 you should be okay.

Offline DanielBonke

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 06:54:56 PM »
A better list:
Reclamation Legion:
Overlord-80
5x Immortals-85
10x Warriors-130
10x Warriors-130

Destroyer Cult:
Destroyer Lord,warscythe,orb-155
3x Destroyers-120
3x Destroyers-120
3x Destroyers-120

Canoptek Harvest:
5x Wraiths,3xwhips-209
3x Scarabs-60
Spyder-50

Online Draco765

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 05:37:56 AM »
First thoughts on second list:

Your Characters will get obliterated in challenges, in the first list you had Z with his 2+/4++/4++ to tank Challenges.

You lose the ability to change the trait each round, Z is useful to get more use out of the Warlord Traits, including if you wish to deepstrike your Destroyers turn two.

Most players now know to focus fire on the Spyder to remove the formation bonus. Wraiths are good tar pit though.

Whip Coils are not as good as they use to be before the recent FAQ forced Wraiths to go at IN1 if they go through terrain. Multiple Bonuses multiply, add, then set to fixed number, in this case it would be 2+3=5, then set to 1 due to terrain.

Offline DanielBonke

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 04:21:38 PM »
I was actually planning on sticking the destroyer lord and overlord with the spyder to protect eachother with look out sir rolls and res orb to spread wounds.

Online Draco765

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 05:31:39 AM »
The Spyder is a monstrous creature, which can not be joined by ICs.

Offline Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 06:29:49 AM »
I love playing flayed ones, but they seem a bit out of place given your focus on destroyers. 117 points is a decent amount for your list point level.

Dropping them and getting something else to help support the destroyers if they get in trouble- something with mobility and shooting/range so it can work alone or with the group, which would free up your block of warriors, etc. to not have to help the destroyers of they get in trouble.

Offline maelstorm

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 01:55:36 PM »
Either up the number of Destroyers in each group to max or drop them completely.  A unit of 3 does not have enough dice when shooting to be statistically significant against anything.  The Heavy Destroyers are overpriced for a single shot unit and have never made their points back when I've used them in.  Simple Gauss does a great job against AV14, and we can look elsewhere in the book for AP2.

The gem in our codex is the Tomb Blade.  Ignoring cover with such a fast unit is perfect to compliment our slow units.  I use 2-3 units of 5 Tomb Blades with Nebuloscope, Sheild Vanes and Particle Beamers in every game.

A Destroyer Lord with the Wraiths increases their awesome factor, I've never had any trouble keeping up with the Wraith unit when moving.

A squad of 10 Flayed Ones in reserve for deep strike is a potent surprise against support units hiding in the backfield.  They are a perfect disposable distraction for a strategic thinking commander.  They always perform well and soak up a lot of damage before going down.

Always consider a Night Scythe, as our anti-air is sorely lacking.  Either use your Immortals as tough objective holders or pop them in a Night Scythe as Objective grabbers for late game strategy.

Offline DanielBonke

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 05:15:36 PM »
Things I have learned about this list.
Destroyer squads should be at a minimum of 4. This gives enough dice and wounds to finish off weakened units or at least deal enough damage that another unit can destroy them. Also gives them enough wounds to survive a shooting phase or two.The heavy destroyers are not worth their points. They get destroyed much too easily. I may be able to take a hull point or stun a vehicle but they are always given high target priority by my opponents.
The tomb blades scopes and armour are not necessary,but the blasters are absolutely amazing.I will be taking them in squads of five with blasters from now on.The canoptek harvest is very hard to beat. They deal lots of damage and intercept and destroy any assault unts. Or they pull all the fire off the rest of my list. Flayed Ones are good as long as the enmy has no wraith knights or knight titans.