Author Topic: Quick Advice For New Players To WIN  (Read 490 times)

Offline Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
Quick Advice For New Players To WIN
« on: October 14, 2016, 08:15:34 AM »
Open thread on tips for new players to get good at 40K FAST and cut down on that learning curve...

I'll open the thread by sharing part of a training outline that I've used from back when I was heavily playing in the tournament scene and wanted to not only get better fast with my army- Tyranids at the time, but also learn how to put myself in the best position to win against an unknown mission structure- perfect for playing pickup games at your club or store where you may not know the mission and army that you are going to be facing.

Essentially rather than playing one long game in a few hours, the goal is to play multiple smaller games in the same time- with a friend who is also looking to practice. Playing only three game turns and trying to win the game not only by turn three, but have it all "wrapped" up so if it continues on you are going to win:

Turn 1: Get into position in the mid field/center of the table with your entire army so you can radiate out.

Turn 2-3: Through controlling the volume of dice you want to break your opponentís army so they cannot prevent you from winning the mission.

Turn 4-5: Move into position with your scoring units to win the mission.

Turn one is getting ready.

Turn 2-3 is setting things in motion to win the game.

Turn 4+ is just playing out what you already know is going to happen.

By playing multiple "half-games" in a practice session you get exposed to more "what-if's" and unknown situations and it also forces you to become a more decisive player.

Of course this is for "practice" only and certainly isn't a narrative game, or even fully immersing oneself in the glory of the grimdark universe.

Your quick advice for getting better fast?
Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Offline TxLrrp

• Battle Brother
  • Baals Out! Balls Deep! Baals, Baals, Baals!
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Advice For New Players To WIN
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 12:30:18 PM »
Having just returned 2 years ago after a long hiatus I can say with confidence that playing the same army, and playing as much as possible was key to getting my 40k legs back, so to speak. Resist the urge to go get the shiniest unit until you are rock solid confident that you know how all the units you already own work, and work together. If you have bad units in your army understand their weakness before discarding them or upgrading. If you're switching out units constantly its very difficult to identify the strengths and weaknesses, not just of your units but of your play style.
  • Blood Angels & Necrons

Offline majordamage

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Advice For New Players To WIN
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 07:28:25 AM »
I would say that you should not be afraid to take some of your favorite units OUT of your list. Mix things up a bit to see how other units work. I like to throw in a "wild card" unit; something to confuse your opponent. I play space marines and sometimes I like to use a unit that will seem random to my opponent. A few examples: 1) a lone attack bike with no upgrades; not a big threat, it's fast, it can jink(somehow) and you can assault with it. 2) A rhino with nothing in it; use it to block things, tank shock and generally sow confusion. These are just examples and there are plenty of other options across the other codecies.

Another piece of advice: try to avoid making un-killable super units or rule-bending combos at first and just use your more basic units to play the mission. See what they can do.
  • Space Marines: around 4000, Tau 1500