Author Topic: Harlequins - protection from Overwatch  (Read 1728 times)

Offline Bernoodist

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Harlequins - protection from Overwatch
« on: October 22, 2016, 08:51:24 AM »
Greetings All,

So i had a good game recently where i had a Cast of players with Inriams Spectre for the Shrouding (nice cover bonus!) and for fun i added
Jain Zar to protect against overwatch, specifically those pesky wall of flame OW that are nasty to T3 space elves.

I can say that it was awesome , absolutely munched though a fully kitted assault squad with Chaplain and just kept on going.

So my thoughts are i could save some points and just go Autarch with Banshee mask with Shard or Anaris, how does this sound ?
would give +1 reserves for the hawks and spiders in my aspect host but for 105 points the Autarch still feels a bit weak

Ideas and comments welcome, also JZ did slow the Harlies down as she does not get Acrobatic unless with Banshee's but thats
going to be an issues for any Infantry character added to the cast of players

Cheers
Bernoodist
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 09:00:28 AM by Bernoodist »

Offline Llarnach

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Harlequins - protection from Overwatch
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 07:43:48 AM »
It's a dilemma.

Jainzar also brings a leadership and initiative debuff to models within a close radius of her and she can add real value in challenges by disarming her opponent of that power fist or particularly nasty weapon.  But she's a lot of points and slows down the Harlequins.

I sometimes use an Autarch with Swooping Hawk wings and a power weapon. 

I guess it depends what the job is that you want them to do.  Is it just to remove the overwatch, in which case a cheap Autarch is a great shout.

Personally, I tend to use Jainzar more just because I like the model and I'm desperate for a Phoenix Lord to actually have some utility and value.   

Online mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 12:43:27 AM »
Questions...

1. Can the harlequins still use their special ability on Move + run + charge if joined by a character like Jain Zar

2. Can you take a 12 person troupe with the shadowseer (For Veil of tears), mask of secrets, Inriams Spectre for the shrouding, Farseer (For fortune and guide), Jain Zar for the mask and end up having a unit that:

"Has a 2++ rerolling character out front that prevents overwatch, that gives a 2++ cover save in ruins,  that can guide itself and use say psychich shriek (granted you have to roll for powers) that can shoot a unit and make it run on a -2, but also has a futher -2 ld due to mask from shadowseer with around 50 attacks rending...?

It is worth it???

Online FartherSeer15

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 01:36:19 AM »
sure you can, but that is a big point sink!

Also having a knight/ WK stomp units like that in my own personal experience is gut wrenching

Online mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 05:04:08 AM »
Tell you what.

In my last game i took nothing else but close combat units. 3 striking scorpion squads, 3 howling banshees, 3 shining spears, harlequin maske, sisters of battle with pentinent engine and a repentia unit. I also had celestine with a seraphim squad.

I won in a convincing victory over slaneesh chaos space marines allied with characadoons space marines.

Multiple small units with exarchs with ap2 is actually really hard to deal with i found. I think the overwatch question is to have lots of units assaulting.

I had in the end 12 hand to hand combat units.

I thought assault was dead. Now...  if you kit them out right and rely on your exarchs. .. wow!

The way i run my harlequin maske is to have the 3 troupes  (1 with a star weaver, 2 star weavers for fast attack and a void weaver. An entire troupe therefore costs you 744 points.

I now want to try 2 maskes.

That means 6 troupes riding in star weavers with move...run...charge. and you can get all that for 1488 points.

No other harlequin fluff.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 06:21:04 AM by mcphro »

Online mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 11:18:02 AM »
Just to clarify the lists:

Harlequin Maske 1
Troupes
Troup Master (Caress), 5 players with caress and 2 embraces
Troup Master (Caress), 5 players with caress and 2 embraces + Starweaver
Fast Attack
Star Weaver
Star Weaver
Heavy Support
Void weaver

Harlequin Maske 2
Troupes
Troup Master (Caress), 5 players with caress and 2 embraces + Starweaver
Fast Attack
Star Weaver
Star Weaver
Heavy Support
Void weaver

Thats just shy of 1500 points. We are playing 1500 at our club lately so if you want to fit more in because your 1850, cool.

The idea is simple. You have 8 vehicles, 6 of which is starweavers.
You roll up 12" then flat out(or shoot - Feel free to fire your 36 shuriken cannon shots as needed.) and pop holofields as they fire at your vehicles.

Then, move 6", deploy 6", Run D6(ave 4-5 at least - fleet) and charge 2D6" (Fleet) again...
If you include the 12" you first moved, and the second turn movement charge = 28" + 2D6" charge... with... 6 troupes of harlequins.

I think best way to avoid overwatch, is if your going to go assault, dedicate towards it.

My last game I only had 1 Maske and eldar CC units (scorpions, banshees, shining spears) and a Sisters of Battle Cad with Celestine and seraphim and repentia with a pentinent engine... wow! 12 combat units. Id drop the shining spears however on refelction, they didnt perform well at all. But I practically tabled Characadoons and Slaneesh noise marines... in hand to hand.

That included 10 storm shield thunderhammer terminators landing in the middle of my lines with (whats his name, tyberos?)... they went down!

...also no, centurions came down in the drop pod... the drop pod had a homing beacon and these buys landed next to them...

But the harlequins had no such trouble moving, running and charging all over the place.

I tend to keep my harlequin maske small and compact. Id rather have a maske and another CAD then 1850 points only containing 3 troupes.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 11:27:18 AM by mcphro »

Offline Nebuchadnezzar

• Harlequin Scholar
  • Supporter
  • Brother Captain
  • Guardian of the Black Library of Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 03:00:23 AM »
I know that list and I love that list. I tested it in my last tournament and I still have not played the round 4 yet. I nearly table my opponents at round 3. The only way to absorb the overwatch is with bodies. You know that some of them are going to be killed so you are paying their weapons for nothing. keep your troupes simple. The troupe master always with caress and in a unit of six you can pay 2 or 3 more weapons. The other players are the bodyguards of the unit. In addition you could try a full caress list. I don't know why you choose embraces when you can have 3 or 4 caresses in every unit that can destroy anything. Vehicles, deathstars, Imperial knights, Wraithknights, anything.

If you want, check the list from the topic below. Even if you don't want to use spiders you can try some skyweavers instead. I know that my battle reports are bad but you can see how this list operates, knowing that it works and modify to your needs and restrictions
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 03:08:12 AM by Nebuchadnezzar »
I mastered the chaos in mind and soul.
I will kill you and with a beautiful laugh I will dance until I go mad.

Offline Sadclown

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 06:05:25 PM »
While caresses are the best all around, embraces increase overall wound volume.

Online mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 03:43:59 PM »
I tried embraces, but you must "get into base to base contact or they dont work. and sometimes that limited models. So if I equip them i dont equip more then 2-3 in a unit.