Author Topic: Can we make drop pod nids competitve at 1850  (Read 431 times)

Online FartherSeer15

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Can we make drop pod nids competitve at 1850
« on: October 25, 2016, 12:14:43 AM »
Alright guys I have been given the task to challenge myself as a painter and modeler to have my next army be drop pod bugs.

My first thoughts:

I want to drop between 15-20 venom cannons into the mid-back field of my opponent as well as plop some big scary bugs down with them. I need to have sufficient table presence turn 1 so that if i go second I dont get shot off the board.

That being said I have devised the following:

HQ

Flyrant with dev and brain leech

Troops
2x20 horm's
3 warriors with a venom cannon

Elites
Haurspex
Malenthrope
1x3 zon's

Heavy

exorine
sporecyst

Formations:

Manufactorum genestealers
spore field

I need some feedback! let me know what questions to have about the units ive taken!

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Can we make drop pod nids competitve at 1850
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 03:39:23 AM »
Drop the Genestealers first off.  If you want Stealers, take them from Cult and make use of the Cult Ambush.  It's better in every single way over Manufactorum.  If you want five units, take minimum squads of CAD Acolytes who STILL get more attacks than Nid Stealers thanks to two base and two CCWs.

Flyrants must have E-Shock Grubs.  They're so helpful and it's mandatory for a good Flyrant.  Less mandatory but one of my favorites is Fighter Ace out of Leviathan.  Gives a single Flyrant some good opportunities to continue doing that whole 'being alive' thing.

Get a Dimachaeron if you want to maximize threats.  It's one of the few things that is still scary coming out of a pod, because you are severely limited here.  A Haruspex doesn't cut it.  Dima is an awesome looking model and can perform if it can get in combat.

Ditch the Warriors unless you put them in a Living Artillary Node.  That would give you some distance shooting and some additional staying presence while being a significant threat to non-MEQ armies.  I'd be more into a Tervigon though to poop out more units once she comes in.  An old tactic was to Outflank one, so podding one would give a similar result.

It's not good enough to be competitive because honestly, no, this won't be competitive, but it should do better than well against casual lists.  The only competitive Nid lists are going to be heavy into Cult until the meta changes, to the point of it being a Cult list with Flyrants.  We just can't survive being on the table anymore and need to be in the skies, in active combat or in Ongoing Reserves.

Online FartherSeer15

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Can we make drop pod nids competitve at 1850
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 09:49:29 PM »
okay! thanks for the feedback!

New list is below