Author Topic: Need a little advice  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Nodsarmy

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Need a little advice
« on: November 15, 2016, 05:22:51 PM »
Hi guys, I'm making a small Blood Angels army just for fun as I love making models and painting them, and I'll probably Ebay them when finished.

I do need advice on what would be the more popular too paint and arm the models I'll be doing.

These are the models I have-

1 Blood Angels Chaplain With Jump Pack, 1 Astorath the Grim, 1 The Sanguinor, Exemplar of the Host, 1 Captain Tycho and 1 Lemartes, Guardian of the Lost.

1 Death Company Dreadnought, 15 Death Company Marines, 10 Blood Angels Assault Terminators and 5 Cataphractii Terminators.

The Dread I'm doing with the Blood Talons, but not sure what way to arm the DC Marines I would like 2 do at least 5 on foot to run with Tycho who i know can be in the Death Company, but how should i arm the others?

I will probably do the 10 Assault Terminators TH/SS 2 squads of 5 and Run the Cataphractii Terminators with all LClaws, not sure if Blood Angels are allowed Catas but they can just be counted as Assaults and I'll add bits to dress them up with more bling. Basically so these units can be the formation drop and charge. But will people be interested if i also paint them as Death Company or would that not be popular?

Most of the HQs will be DC but I'm not sure what way I'll do The Sanguinor, Exemplar of the Host. I was thinking of doing him as another DC Chaplin but not sure so maybe a few suggestions on what might be popular with this model.

Lastly do you think i need to add transports for this to be popular on Ebay or would it be ok without them, I will be pricing it as cheap as i can. Compared to some of the popular painting studios it will be about a third or even a quarter of their stupidly extreme prices.

Thanks for any input.

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Need a little advice
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 10:28:30 PM »
Death Company Terminators do not exist, so I doubt they will be picked up unless you price them very low.  As for their armament, if you give them ALL TH/SS then you lose out on their +1 Initiative in the Baal host.  I would make four of the ten with Lightning Claws, since it is very common to put atleast two per five with LCs and seriously consider one with a banner.  If you sell them together, have a Lightning Claw and a TH/SS model with the extra love and care to be able to be represented as a Sergeant, a single banner, a mix of weapons in the usual Blood Angel colors and I bet that would sell no problem.  Orbital Intervention Force has done a good job on making Blood Angel players want some Terminators.  The Cataphractii I'd sell on their own with a regular build.  Combi Bolters, Power Fists, a Typhoon Missile Launcher.  Again, in Orbital, they can fire twice if they are run as normal Terminators and if they're run as 30k variants, or even as 40k Cataphractii, they can't Sweeping Advance.  So there's no point in them being a bully unit of AP3 if they can't chase after combat.

Death Company are very simple.  Everyone gets Jump Packs and one in five gets a Powerfist, the rest get nothing.  That is the only popular way to run them and straying from that might make it more challenging to sell the models.  Tycho is not a popular choice at all so I would dedicate the current 15 to Jump Packs and then get an additional five for Tycho as your pet project.  This lets you sell the lot as a pair of Formations plus extra models, which is a great place for new players to start or experienced players to kick off their own stuff further.

Paint is simple.  Stick to the codex for it.  For Blood Angel red: Mephiston Red, Agrax or Carroburg wash, Evil Sunz Scarlet highlight, Fire Dragon Bright fine highlight if you're talented.  Green contrasts beautifully for lenses.  Black is black and folks have different ways of making black pop.  For instance, I use a Chaos Black primer, a mix of Eshin Grey and Abbadon Black as the base and then hit it liberally with Nuln Oil to naturally shade the recesses in what I feel is a more shadowy look than the edge highlighting or weathering I've seen other folks do.  I am by no means a professional painter though and that's just what looks good to me.  Stick to the traditional gold on the Sanguinor.  He's not a normal type of character and could be compared to an angel descending when the host is struggling in war.  He doesn't get dressed in the morning like other Marines, so keep him in those normal colors and he's more likely to be used.

So to sell this, with the extra five DC guys on foot and 15 in the air, you have the Death Company Strike Force with a Chaplain, the ability to split the 15 into a squad of eight and a squad of seven, and with three Powerfists to give between them all.  You should get some considerable interest from that group.  Then you also have an Archangels Orbital Intervention Force with the Terminators.  Sadly all of the Special Characters don't fit into either of those but it's not that big of a deal.  Many people will just consider them extra options.  And if they look good, all the better.  That's atleast the sort of setup that I'd buy if I were purchasing.

Offline Nodsarmy

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 11:47:07 PM »
Yeah i know they don't exist in the game but i want input from blood angels players, if they would like to have terminators in the DC colours. As they can all go in the Lost Brotherhood Strike Force along with Lemartes,  Astorath and the extra DC chaplin i was going to do out of the Sanguinor although I'll have to think on this. It would leave out Tycho but maybe I'll find a home for him somewhere else.

Also i will probs try sell it all together so someone can run the Lost Brotherhood again its really why i was thinking about the terminators in the DC colour.If it doesn't sell as the group then ofcourse maybe it will be bad to have done that.
Its also why i was going TH/SS as they lose the +1 anyway they actually seem to lose alot, and the catas i was using as the shooty terminators aren't great so 2 squads at I1 and 1 squad at I4 for some variety, also i only have the 2 decent BA assault terminators.

I'm also not sure if Blood Angels are even allowed 40k Catas,i do remember reading about where and when catas, the cata captain and the contemptor could be taken but have not been able to find it again.

I will probs just go with the DC marines as you have described with the new DC chaplin.

Thanks for the paint suggestions but i use Vallejo paints and inks, Mig pigments and enamels, AK oils and i only like to use GWs washes, although again thanks for taking the time for your response.

Online Sensenbob

• Battle Brother
  • WHERE IS THE DEAFF COMPANYYY!?!?! :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 03:55:36 PM »
i agree with Shark, especially on poor old captain Tycho :(
I personally wouldn't want my terminators in DC color scheme, fluffwise the DC color scheme is a very strong separation from normal BA so i'm pretty sure red Terminators will sell much better.
IIRC Blood Angels do not get acess to cataphractii, but i wouldn't mind the different models.
=Blood Angels=

Offline Nodsarmy

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 04:31:22 PM »
Thanks for another response, seems clear that doing terminators in DC colours is too specific or personnel a choice and may be issues with selling the set.

I'm guessing they aren't allowed the Tartaros terminators either which is a pitty as i have 10 of those and i think they can sweep, yeah i was adding the catas for variety and i don't want them in my ultras or death watch armies.

I'll stick pics up here or in a new post as its something i haven't done before and am curious to see if any1 even likes my stuff, not a pro like some crazy guys on Cmon but i do try to make them look nice.

thanks again for both responses.

Offline Pigeon89B

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 12:43:12 PM »
Personally I would love for death company terminators to exist and I think they would look good and a complement if they were the auxillary choice to the Lost Brotherhood Detachment. But I know im in the minority of that opinion. Your plans sound good though can't wait to see.