Author Topic: How to use the orbital intervention force?  (Read 783 times)

Offline Kvekan

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
How to use the orbital intervention force?
« on: December 10, 2016, 05:14:52 AM »
After the revamp of the tartaros terminators in the prospero box (a little bulkier which I really like) I've considered trying out this formation. Never been a huge fan of indomitus pattern termies with the boar heads. But new aesthetics (and cheaper investment) got me pumped.

But while everyone seemed really impressed with this formation at realease to me it doesn't seem very easy to use.

It lacks reserve manipulation and any form of scatter reduction so to actually get into reasonable assault distance is a bit of a gamble. That everyone arrives at the same time is a bit of a double edged sword.

Anyway I'm thinking 3 units of 5 assault marines: one unit of 5 hammernators and two with hammer sergeant (handy with a 3++) and 4 lightning claws. Shooty terminators even with double shots just aren't very scary.

To get them on target I'm gonna try dropping in 2 drop pods with locator beacons and probably dreadnoughts. The new supplement screwed up my assault melta pod spam sadly. But at the very least it forces the enemy to stay clear of my pods or waste high strength shots to destroy them.

The second thing to consider is what kind of units they're supposed to deal with. Without the charge bonus and furious charge their utility is limited as far as monster hunting and vehichle wrecking goes. The hammernators can still deal with vehichles of course, but I'm a bit uncertain of their potential against say a wraith knight.

How would you guys run these?
"For those we cherish, we die in glory" ...And we die a lot.

Offline Remtek

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: How to use the orbital intervention force?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 08:07:48 AM »
There have been some long rule discussions on this, but long story short it's legal to put them in drop pods for turn 1 deep strike. Clearly not rules as intended though and they might errata/faq that.

I have been testing them out with mixed success. The main issue you need to take 3 units, so it becomes a rather large point investment and having 15 terminators is kinda useless in many matchups.

Genestealer cult and other turn 1/2 assault formations are also shifting the meta. Against someone with the ability to wrap they risk not doing much. I tried charging 10 necron warriors with a squad of hammernators, they got stuck for several game turns. Not being able to take a priest for ws5 combined with disordered charge makes those 10 attacks very hit and miss.

Playing RAI without using pods they become much worse as you risk high varience scatters on a slow unit. Overall i'd say go with Golden Host formation unless your playing in a very assault oriented meta or vs multiple super heavies. But if you really want to run them, locator beacons on pods and perhaps some scout bikers.

They are still excellent (in BA terms) vs wraithknights, due to the large bases a stomp wont wipe them out. They will probably be stuck for several turns

Offline Sensenbob

• Battle Brother
  • WHERE IS THE DEAFF COMPANYYY!?!?! :D
    • View Profile
Re: How to use the orbital intervention force?
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 03:40:41 PM »
The formation is a heavy points investment, and as you stated  not at all a sure thing, so i think it would be best to run them in a list tailored to Support them with both teleport/locator beacons and Reserve manipulation.
They might struggle against msu or Horde armes but are probably our Best bet to take on superheavies or monstrous creatures.
Personally i'd rather have more thunderhammer/shield guys. However multicharging should be fine with them since there is no bonus for charging anyway.
If they weren't so expensive, more bodies would make them more reliable and less susceptible to bad rolls. 10 regular Termis with 2Launchers could even make a more flexible impact.
=Blood Angels=