Author Topic: Traitor Legions!!  (Read 1362 times)

Offline TheDarkPrince

• Neophyte
  • Bow down to the Lord of Ecstasy!
    • View Profile
Traitor Legions!!
« on: December 10, 2016, 11:14:12 PM »
Now while I was complaining about our 6th supplement I am more than pleased with this new book! This makes my Emperors children so much better and allows me to play the Alpha legion army I wanted to play. The only things I am not happy about is that I wasted 70$ on traitors hate because this literally has everything from that book (and every other supplement book) in it. It is definitely no Chaos Codex but I am still quite happy with it. Now all we need is point cost reduction for our entire army haha! What are all of your thoughts on the new book?
Alpharius

Offline SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Traitor Legions!!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 01:34:33 AM »
Traitor's hate is still useful for Renegades like my Red Corsairs to pull from, but I see why folks who aren't specifically undivided with Special Characters don't really see the difference.  Frankly though, it's an awesome book.  A Death Guard army is more than playable and from a competitive standpoint, there's room to abuse it.  I'm going off memory here, but I believe a Cult of Destruction as a Death Guard Detachment gives FNP, Stealth at range and a few other bonus on top of being T5 Mark of Nurgle, or is it T6 bonus too?

On the fluffy side of things, Night Lords, Iron Warriors and Alpha Legion shine as new armies that can actually be represented and Word Bearers will see competitive play in the Cabal as well.  There will be templates for top tier play now, and while I don't know for sure if they'll stick, at the casual table there is more than enough to play Chaos in a whole host of new ways.

Offline TheDarkPrince

• Neophyte
  • Bow down to the Lord of Ecstasy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 09:48:22 AM »
I agree completely. I am extremely happy with the fluff we can now add to our armies on the table. I especially like the new powers for all the Chaos Gods because they used to be quite bad (I don't know if they are better than the rule book powers or space marine powers but they are at least better than they used to be!)
Alpharius

Offline SidjostromPrimarch DCLXVI

• Battle Brother
  • Preaching Word of The Dark Gods since 007 M31.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 10:56:43 AM »
They're much like any discipline, to be honest, there are some good ones and bad ones in all of them. The slaanesh one is probably the best.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 07:17:04 PM »
Haven't really looked into the new book myself, has Alpha Legion been given some cool tricks?
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 07:58:50 PM »
No marks are allowed and a couple other restrictions, but all CSM units, Chosen and Cultists get Infiltrate and Chosen are Troops. They really shine from a rule where your Warlord changes during the game though.  If the main one dies, you pick another Character and he generates a Warlord trait and the opponent doesn't get Slay the Warlord until they're all gone.

So nothing game breaking, but it IS a cool idea.  If I had a 30k army of Alpha Legion, I'd be willing to play some 40k games with them at the very least.

Online PepeTykki

• Battle Brother
  • Sanity is for the weak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 09:10:03 PM »
I'm a bit confused. Why GW couldn't just make a band new Chaos Codex with all the new stuff added in from all the supplements and so on. I'm clad that chaos is rising from the ashes and ruins of the 6th edition codex but why take these small steps when they could do a full 7th edition codex release with everything. Now they just made us buy at least one book for nothing. I guess thats their business idea and I must say that it's a working one but I feel a bit cheated.

But other than that the new Traitor Legions is AMAZING! Finally Chaos is back from the depths of the warp and are ready to take the fight to the False Emperor! I can't wait 'till I get my hands on that book.
For the Dark Gods!

Offline WarpTonE

• Neophyte
  • What is dead may never die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 08:02:04 PM »
The chosen sons of barbaras approve. I've been playing death guard since 3rd edition and have gotta say this is the closest to competitive we've been in a while.
What is dead may never die.

Offline Eryx_UK

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • March of the Damned
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 07:07:19 AM »
The chosen sons of barbaras approve. I've been playing death guard since 3rd edition and have gotta say this is the closest to competitive we've been in a while.

Tell me about it! I can actually win games now.
My Death Guard narrative blog: http://thedeathguard.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Ranulf-Wulfric

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 07:54:27 AM »
I play World Eaters and totally enjoy the options that the Traitor Legion codex allow. I am going to miss the formations in 8th edition

Offline SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 09:41:15 AM »
Keywords in 8th are going to be ridiculously important for CSM.  Just looking at the Datasheet for Rubrics, that's four Faction Keywords that hit, which might mean that HQs are more important than ever with bigger buffs depending on how focused you go.  The cool Formations might be gone, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the best Formation bonuses become bubble effects from certain characters giving the options, not the requirements, of what units get the buffs in that Faction Keyword.  But, this is just me being optimistic.