Author Topic: IF Devs Las vs. Grav vs. Missiles  (Read 511 times)

Offline SteelRain

• Initiate
    • View Profile
IF Devs Las vs. Grav vs. Missiles
« on: December 20, 2016, 05:36:21 PM »
Starting a IFs army, first army I'm buying outright. Having two dev squads, already decided on HB for one but deciding on an AT squad deciding between the above. Local meta is pretty diverse, flyers are uncommon but not out of the question. No mass Leman Russ lists or anything, but I'm still unsure what my best bet is for modeling. I know Grav is technically best but with the re-roll pens and less range on grav probably needing a DP, other choices may end up better and cheaper. Thoughts?

Offline Ragimund

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: IF Devs Las vs. Grav vs. Missiles
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 05:32:00 AM »
Somehow, I always seem to fall back on missile launchers, the swiss pocket knife amongst the heavy weapons.

I would love to take the lascannons more often when I know I will face heavily armoured vehicles, but I usually spend the points on something else.

Grav-cannons seem the way to go for drop pod lists or when facing a lot of deep-striking terminators. Might be to expensive against orks and guardsmen.

Offline majordamage

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 06:11:39 AM »
I second the missile launchers; you can't beat the versatility.

Although since you already have the squad with heavy bolters, I would say do with lascannons. They are long range and dedicated to tank killing. Plus, with Grav cannons you are paying for the grav amp. This is effectively the same as the "tank hunter" you already get for being an Imperial Fist (at least against vehicles). AP2 can blow stuff up, 48 inch range is great (keep them in cover far away), and strength 9 threatens EVERYTHING. They are also 15 points cheaper than the Grav cannons.
  • Space Marines: around 4000, Tau 1500

Offline SteelRain

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 06:35:33 AM »
I think I will go with the Missiles, as much as I would like to take Las I don't like the idea of having a unit basically idol if there arn't enough tanks to shoot at. Plus Helldrakes, Flyrants, and storm ravens arn't out of the question and it would be nice to have a chance at downing them before they get to me.

Offline Ragimund

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 10:36:40 AM »
The flak-missiles feel a little underwhelming against AV 12 flyers.

I'll rather park them on an objective and hope for the skyfire result ;)

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 01:19:27 PM »
Missiles are very plainly just weak.  You're not going to do anything to an Imperial Knight but essentially glance, you won't statistically pop open a Rhino in a single shooting phase with a unit of four though with Tank Hunters you do have a better chance than most, you won't put the hurt on a big squad of whatever with frag missiles because they're either too strong for frags or the player knows better than to cramp them all together.  Heldrakes, Flyrants and Stormravens are going to hurt you more for spending 40pts on four ridiculous Flak than they would anything else.  There's no threat there.  So, you're failing at anti-tank and anti-MC, failing at anti-horde and failing at being anti-air by being a remarkably expensive half-an-Autocannon. 

Lascannons put consistent hurt on everything big and their downsides against horde are fine.  That's why you're taking Heavy Bolters in the other squad.  Redundant squads means that each can focus on their role, not try to make everyone do everything at the same time.  If you try to do too much, you won't get anything done.  Missiles had their day in the sun but the game has left them behind now.  They're too expensive for too little results.

Edit for fact checking.

Offline Charley359

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 09:10:56 PM »
I have yet to play much Grav weapons, so I can't said yes or no about them.  But they do interest me more as a secondary weapon to use on larger and harder to take down opponents.  Now of the three weapons you listed, my preference is lascannons.  I find them to be a very strong weapon that my Dark Angels army fields every time and succeeds.  I tried missiles when I was starting out in 40K, but they always seems to fall just short so I changed over to lascannons.