Author Topic: Modelling Crusader Squads  (Read 1990 times)

Offline Jetboy69

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Modelling Crusader Squads
« on: January 06, 2017, 02:13:27 AM »
OK, I am highly considering in moving from Sisters of Battle army to a BT Space Marine Army.  I haven't decided on which, HQ choice yet, but it will either be the Emperorís Champion, (I like the model) or Chaplain Grimaldus (not sure how to model him yet).  What is certain is that I will start with two Crusader Squads.  I am still contemplating on how to set them up.  Any help there would be a appreciated.

My biggest concerns, is how to model my BT.  I am a big fan of WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get).  Since you can't just purchase Grimaldus, and you can't purchase a crusader squad with initiates and neophytes, how do you model them? What do you use  for you base model to convert?  Also, do you purchase the Sword Brother Models, or do you convert a tactical marine to a sword brother?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Offline ANevskyUSA

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Modelling Crusader Squads
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 09:54:42 AM »
GW sells a Black Templar upgrade kit that comes with 2 sprues of Black Templar bits. You can combine this with the marines from a Tactical Squad box for your Initiates, then use Scouts armed with bolters, shotgun or bolt pistols + melee weapons for the Neophytes.

Is GW no longer selling the Grimaldus model?

Offline goodguy

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 07:22:03 PM »
I just built up two crusader squads yesterday. They are primarily tactical squads and the Black Templar upgrade kit. I found the the assault squad kit really helped to splash more dynamic poses into the mix. Not to mention more pistols and chain swords.  For neophytes the regular scout box is fantastic. It gives you all the options so oh have bolters, shotguns and close combat weapon and pistol. 

Mixing in the upgrade kit and especially the assault squad kit was really the secret sauce. I now have some very cool models built up and most if not all really feel like the heroes they are depicted as.

Offline Jetboy69

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 11:41:30 AM »
Thanks for the support.  I have already ordered the parts upgrade kit, but was not sure on what to use for the models.  Thanks for confirming that I should use scouts as neophytes.  I definitely like the idea of using some of the Assault marine kits for different poses and weapons.

Offline ANevskyUSA

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 03:02:55 PM »
If you want Grimaldus, here is the link to the model on GW#'s website:
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Black-Templars-Chaplain-Grimaldus-Retinue

Offline Jetboy69

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 07:09:23 AM »
Thanks for the link.  I do not know how I missed it the first time.

I was wondering which HQ choice do you guys prefer, The Emperor's Champion or Grimaldus?

Offline ANevskyUSA

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 01:01:18 PM »
Thanks for the link.  I do not know how I missed it the first time.

I was wondering which HQ choice do you guys prefer, The Emperor's Champion or Grimaldus?

I guess it depends on what you want to do.  If you want a character to take out enemy characters in melee, the Emperor's Champion is better.  Grimaldus is better for buffing your army is you are advancing in a block.  They way I read the dataslate, the cenobite servitors are wargear (kind of like Tau drones) rather than a unit entry (like Space Wolf servitors) so you could perhaps stick Grimaldus and several cenobite in a Rhino with a Command Squad behind a couple of Crusader Squads in Land Raider Crusaders.  Everybody gets out in the same turn, the Crusader Squads charge, and with proper positioning, the Command Squad is giving everyone Feel No Pain and Zealot (and an extra attack if you also take the Standard of the Emperor Ascendant).  Since Grimaldus' abilities are auras, you get more bang for the buck if you take multiple units to buff and keep them close, whereas the Emperor's Champion is fine leading a Crusader Squad on its own.

Offline Jetboy69

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 10:28:48 AM »
Thanks, that was kind of what I was thinking.  So, I will pick up Grimaldus for my HQ choice.  Thanks.

Offline ANevskyUSA

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 11:26:25 AM »
I just read the new FAQ that came out today.  It seems that Grimaldus' and Techmarines' servitors DON'T work like Tau drones.  Instead they form their own unit that the character cannot leave, and that cannot join other units.  Other independent characters, however, can join the Techmarine/Grimaldus + servitors unit.  I'm not sure if this will affect your HQ decision, but you might want to know about it since it will probably come up when you play.

Offline Jetboy69

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 01:53:50 PM »
Thanks for that.  I have not thought about that.