Author Topic: Anti Air for Chaos Space Marines?  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Yoosh24

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Anti Air for Chaos Space Marines?
« on: January 15, 2017, 08:58:03 PM »
Help! I have been getting my ass kicked by my friend's armies lately and it's all down to flyers. I feel as though I am starting to gain a psychological fear when I come up against them and I get the overwhelming sense of "Pack up your bags boys your going to the death pile". The armies that my friends play is Tyranids, imperial guard and orks.

First of all Nid's. I'll be honest every time I see that flyrant I give my friend that stare of "Your one son of a b*tch". I cannot for the life of me kill it, it's been every time I've played him I've lost. I've tried a whole bunch of tactics such as bringing havoc's, helturkey, large blobs of cultists and a forgefiend. Same thing for when I'm up against imperial guard, when that valkyrie comes into play I sh*t bricks. Lastly, orks aren't as big a deal but still a pain none the less.

What do you suggest I do to combat this? The idea I have is to get an Aegis Defence Line and have that quad gun at the ready. Or maybe those forge world flyers but I'm not sure if it's worth it points or money wise. Your suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks, 40k nooblet

Offline SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Anti Air for Chaos Space Marines?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 09:26:01 PM »
Flyrants are very hard to kill.  I'm both a Tyranid player and a CSM player and frankly, it's a bad matchup.  Havocs with Autocannons are the general use option and about as good as it gets, but against a 3+ armor you're not really guaranteed anything even though you have some good chance to get hits.  Flak Missiles are the same problem so don't bother with them.  Nothing in the codex is designed to hurt a FMC of any kind really.

Consider a Renegade Knight, though Flyrants in groups can and will murder a Knight in about two Turns, but that Skyfire Cannon up top or even the S8 AP3 rockets without Skyfire and the Gatling Cannon at AP3 fire enough strong shots to really hurt a Flyrant.  Keep in mind that a Jinking Flyrant is a worthless Flyrant.  If you make two Flyrants Jink, you're ahead of the game even if you deal no damage.

The only Forge World Flyer I can recommend against Flyrants specifically is the Fire Raptor.  The others are pretty weak and without a Contemptor Mortis or Deredeo, it's not like you have some good options.  As a Flyrant player, I hate seeing Fire Raptors on the table because of the damage they can dish out.

Offline tomjashroom

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 03:48:44 AM »
Not sure because there aren't alot of Tyranid players here but perhaps the Tripple Preditor setup that gives monster hunter. 

Offline Pigeon89B

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 10:57:15 AM »
Fortifications. Quad guns or two quad lascannons. Or an Icarus lascannons. My personal choice is the WoM Firestorm Redoubt with its stock quad lascannons  and a quad gun. AA out the ass with av 14 unaffected by grav or melta!

Offline shikatsu

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 11:30:13 PM »
I was looking at the Demon engine pack for my anti air and gun platform, since it allows you to share your BS with one of the forge fiends.  Also more mobile then the defense line as well.

This being with the hades autocannons.

But take that with a grain of salt as always.

Offline Eryx_UK

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • March of the Damned
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 04:38:01 AM »
If you really need it, the Aegis Defence Line with quad autocannons is a good and fairly pointed option.
My Death Guard narrative blog: http://thedeathguard.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Chaos_Inquisitor

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 01:28:36 PM »
@Shikatsu: While it's a cool idea, the increased BS has no value in this context.  You're hitting on 6's no matter what, for those Forgefiends.  Increasing BS does not increase your ability to hit Flying units at all, they're always at snap-fire unless you have Skyfire.

Offline WarpTonE

• Neophyte
  • What is dead may never die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 07:53:36 PM »
Keep in mind you don't have to hurt em, just hit em to ground em. once grounded I take em on with a nurgle prince with wings and black mace. wings make it easy to pounce on em and 5+d6 attacks on the charge wounding on 2s and ap2 means you should be able to eat one a turn once grounded.
What is dead may never die.