Author Topic: Death Guard legion: CSM or plague marines?  (Read 642 times)

Online Eryx_UK

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • March of the Damned
Death Guard legion: CSM or plague marines?
« on: February 08, 2017, 02:47:46 AM »
Prior to the release of Traitor Legions I had always run plague marines over regular chaos space marines. Mainly because it felt more fluffy but also because against most opponents the poisoned weapons were a great option. Along comes Traitor Legions and the new legion rules give everyone the same and better abilities, just without the poisoned weapons. Coupled with playing the Death Guard specific detachment a lot lately I've been  moving over to playing the chaos marines more. It is beginning to dawn on me that the legion rules are largely leaving plague marines to the side because with the basic marine squads you get heavy weapons and more options. You are just missing out on plague weapons.

Thoughts?
  • Death Guard / Nurgle Daemons
My Death Guard narrative blog: http://thedeathguard.blogspot.co.uk/

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Death Guard legion: CSM or plague marines?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 03:00:08 AM »
You're not wrong.  Basic tax unit of CSM is actually durable with Death Guard, making them a real pain to get out of the way.  Hey excel at their simple job of being cheap Obj Sec sources that bunker down and score convenient points.  I'm a big proponent of Plagues despite their engorged price, but I'm in the same boat.  My Red Corsairs are suddenly without Plague support for the first time in a long time and my force more resembles the Warband from Pandorax than anything else with a Nurgle Detachment making the bulk of it.

Offline The Scribe

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel: The Scribe
Re: Death Guard legion: CSM or plague marines?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 08:29:37 PM »
I hate to say it, but I totally agree -_-

I like the poison weapons in close combat, the additional close combat weapon and the fact that Plague Marines can have two special weapons in a squad of five Marines (plus a third in the form of a combi weapon on the Sarge). The reason why I say that I hate to agree is because I invested in putting two plasma guns in my Nurgle Marine squad and now I kind of feel stuck running them as Plagues lest I make a waste of the extra plasma gun from my bits collection :/

In my opinion this the best way to run Plague Marines: 2x Melta guns + 1x Combi-melta in a squad of five with a Rhino. For extra fun give the Sarge a melta bomb or even a Power fist! This configuration is great for hunting vehicles and is also objective-secured, plus tough to put down and mobile.

If you don't plan to specifically hunt vehicles with your Marines, I would instead go for Chaos Marines with the mark of Nurgle and an additional close combat weapon. You get to be almost as flexible even if you don't have poisoned attacks in close combat, or the option to have as many special weapons in the squad. In conclusion, my opinion is:

- Plague Marines are best left as an elite squad that could benefit from saturating a unit of five Marines with special weapons and,
- Chaos Space Marines with the Mark of Nurgle and an additional close combat weapon each is the better option for a well-rounded Troops choice.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 08:38:27 PM by The Scribe »