Author Topic: Assault squad optimal setup  (Read 559 times)

Offline xrklkx

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Assault squad optimal setup
« on: February 09, 2017, 04:51:00 AM »
Hello all,
I have a 5 man assault squad in my Dark angels army with 2 flamers and a combi-flamer.
From my understanding, equipping the flamers/combi-flamer means that the squad will no longer get extra attacks for having two melee weapons. Wouldn't it therefore better to replace the chainswords on said marines with bolters/bolt pistols?
                   Current setup                                                                    optimal
SM sarge = Chainsword + combi flamer (only 1 attack)                   Bolt-pistol +combi flamer (still 1 attack but can still assault)
SM 1       = Flamer+chainsword (only 1 attack)                                Boltgun+flamer (still 1 attack but has ranged weapon)
SM 2 = same as SM1
SM3+SM4 = generic (two attacks in melee)
  • Dark Angels

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Assault squad optimal setup
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 11:12:04 AM »
Two things with this.  One, you're trying to make a bad unit matter.  At the end of the day, whether your ASM have two Attacks or one, they still are a tiny unit going to do almost no damage in Assault.  Those Flamers should do something, but the unit itself isn't going to make money by punching things.  You have too few guys and three Attacks even in a ten man unit isn't going to make or break the combat when they have no option for AP value.  If you want more Attacks, make your charges and remember to use Hammer of Wrath, which means don't use Jump Packs in the Movement Phase.

My second point is second to make you feel better about it; the codex says specifically that you replace your Bolt Pistol with a Flamer.  You don't get the choice.  Only the Sergeant can take from Melee and Ranged weapon lists where you can take a Bolter for the Chainsword and keep your pistol.  I often do this in my Tacticals because again, +1 Attack is worthless in the current game but +1 BS4 shot every time the unit shoots is atleast going to have a good chance to remove an extra model with a 5+ save.

Offline xrklkx

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 08:34:45 PM »
woops completely misread the rules xD welp that was some was pointless....
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 10:00:15 PM by xrklkx »
  • Dark Angels

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 04:48:55 PM »
About the only place I would take Assault Marines in a Skyhammer Annihilation Force since they can assault after arriving from deep strike. Very nice for surprising pesky Warp Spiders and Jet Bikes.