Author Topic: Can you still buy Ultramarines blue?  (Read 775 times)

Offline ElBarto

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Can you still buy Ultramarines blue?
« on: February 11, 2017, 02:00:44 PM »
Hello,

I used to play 40k in the late 90s & early 00s and the way I settled on painting my Ultramarines was a baselayer of Chaos Black & Utramarines Blue on top. As Games Workshop stopped selling Ultramarines Blue some time ago does anyone know where you can get a very similar or identical paint colour? The blues on sale at Games Workshop don't quite seem the same.

Thanks for any pointers or information.

[EDIT]
Just to add, I'm based in the UK so somewhere in the UK or that delivers here would be great.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 09:49:39 PM by ElBarto »

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Can you still buy Ultramarines blue?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 03:31:48 AM »
All the names are changed when they switched to a more friendly method of making paints by separating layers and base style and shades instead of the old Ink, Wash, Paint options.  So Ultramarine Blue has been separated into Maccragge Blue as the Base, a thicker paint meant to completely cover the layer beneath it, and Altdorf Guard Blue, a Layer that is gunner and is easy to make even thinner and look good.  You would use both on top of the Abaddon Black primer to get your Ultras looking 'normal'.  You might need to touch up the older models with the Altdorf just to help blend the army together but it's the closest you got.

Offline ElBarto

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Re: Can you still buy Ultramarines blue?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 12:07:32 AM »
All the names are changed when they switched to a more friendly method of making paints by separating layers and base style and shades instead of the old Ink, Wash, Paint options.  So Ultramarine Blue has been separated into Maccragge Blue as the Base, a thicker paint meant to completely cover the layer beneath it, and Altdorf Guard Blue, a Layer that is gunner and is easy to make even thinner and look good.  You would use both on top of the Abaddon Black primer to get your Ultras looking 'normal'.  You might need to touch up the older models with the Altdorf just to help blend the army together but it's the closest you got.

Thanks very much for the reply. Also thanks for mentioning the change from inks, washes & paints to what is now used as I've got a Citadel Painting book from GW and it mentions all sorts of painting methods that I couldn't remember using, glad it's not my memory being a problem & it's actually just changed.

Offline BorntobeMild

• Initiate
  • Sup.
    • View Profile
On a WAAAAGGHHHHH since 1999.