Author Topic: A question of general tactics, and rounding out my army(slightly long)  (Read 752 times)

Offline sempirveritas

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
At present, my army consists of

4- 10man tactical squads (with sarge, flamer, launcher, 7 bolters) ***
2- 10man devastator squads(3 lascannons, 1 launcher, 6 bolters) *** t
2 rhinos
3 drop pods (thinking with locator beacon)
2 centurion devastator squads (not sure my preferred load yet)
2 venerable dreads (definitely thinking flamer, not sure rest)
3 vindicators. (in squad for linebreaker?)
1 captain.(iron halo, lightning claws)

1 10man assault squad (possibly, but will have to convert, buy bits).

Does this meet the requirements for a company force?
If you had an extra $250 what would you buy first (do i need something urgently to maybe provide more balance?
---------------------------------

I am brand spanking new, ive read through the codex, watched a lot of fritz, read the rules, seeing what at the start appeals to me. I've played at least one game, do have some minor wargaming "dice important" experience.

Some things I find myself very interested in (hence why i have what i have)
Chapter tactics - iron fists? anything that favors mechanized armies- skyhammer? anvil strike? (dark angels addendum??)

Overarching desire: clear table of opposing army, then objectives.
Some of my thoughts on set up (and first turn if i go first )

1) set up in such away that you are inclined to send most of your force towards one direction by maybe placing more threatening units on one side of the zone.
2) If I get first to turn especially, go ahead and use an orbital strike.
3) hopefully convince you to chase a particular direction so i can flank you.
4) Possibly deep strike my 10-man dev squads and a _________? on the first turn into your deployment /close/ in the range of your heavy units as may be a suicide squad.
         a) thought behind deep striking 10man dev squad is, 3 lascanons may do nice job of taking out vehicles while the 6 bolters can start taking on infantry

So ideas? thoughts on my thinking?  good units to round out? What about things that allow for rerolls of misses?

***  this is the most I can make with the infantry i have available as this came off of eBay, so no extra bits or weapon options

Offline strawberry fist

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: A question of general tactics, and rounding out my army(slightly long)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 06:29:01 AM »
My first question is which chapter tactics are you thinking of using? I use Imperial fists for the re-rolls on bolters and use the sternhammer strike force from angels of death.

As far as I am aware to use a battle company you'll need:
Captain + Chaplain
6 Tactical Squads (can be 5 man strong)
2 assault squads (or bikers)
2 Devastators (or Centurion devastators)

If your able to take the gladious strike force from the Space Marine codex. by taking 2 Demi companies and 1 auxilary you get free dedicated transports for the Demi co's (rhino, razors and drop pods)

I'm used to playing slightly mech Eldar so my advice get rid of transports and their heavy weapons ASAP!
Hope this helps :)

Offline sempirveritas

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 12:24:21 AM »
At present, I am thinking of iron fists as well / anvil strike force.

Im very interested in being able to reroll as often as needed on wounds and such, but also very pro mechanized.

Offline strawberry fist

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 11:00:57 AM »
I do like the look of the iron hands detachment. I would run the storm lance Demi company as my core choice and then take an auxiliary. just for the improved feel no pain :)